Am I the only one who stacks up vacation time at work?

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
Man when it comes to work vacation, I'm like a real life horder. I been at this spot for a year come the 5th and I have NEVER taken a day off. I got my check yesterday, and I'm sittin gon 159 hours of vacation now. I see my co-workers taking mad days off, but this ain't heavy lifting, so I dont wanna take any time. I talked to our HR person, and she said I can only go up to about 200 before it stops accruing, so once I hit that, I'll start taking days as necessary all the while maintaining near max levels of vacation.

actually, back in december, I had stomach flu sick as hell, and I knew I was gonna be sick, but I came in regardless. and we were having a meeting in my office around 830 and I went and threw up in my bathroom like 5 times, and they sent me home. I did that so they wouldn't try to take my sick days for showing the effort to come in. I ended up going home.

Plus I always have this fear in the back of my mind about getting fired abruptly (this happened once years ago), and I like knowing, I got at least a month of checks coming in before I even have to start touching unemployment or savings.

At my last job. I was there for like 7 years, I had banked my vacation time up to almost 400 hours. and HR was like ":ufdup: you gotta use those days or forfeit". come to find out, I only had to get them down to 200 hours. but I only had 3 months to do this. so between april and june, I took 6 weeks of vacation that year (2010), all the while I kept accruing more vacation.

when I finally left that job, I had over 300 hours, that they paid me for cash money. I thought I was :win: for real like I hit the lottery. cuz that was free money to blow since I was starting the next job on monday without taking a break.

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
Man when it comes to work vacation, I'm like a real life horder. I been at this spot for a year come the 5th and I have NEVER taken a day off. I got my check yesterday, and I'm sittin gon 159 hours of vacation now. I see my co-workers taking mad days off, but this ain't heavy lifting, so I dont wanna take any time. I talked to our HR person, and she said I can only go up to about 200 before it stops accruing, so once I hit that, I'll start taking days as necessary all the while maintaining near max levels of vacation.

actually, back in december, I had stomach flu sick as hell, and I knew I was gonna be sick, but I came in regardless. and we were having a meeting in my office around 830 and I went and threw up in my bathroom like 5 times, and they sent me home. I did that so they wouldn't try to take my sick days for showing the effort to come in. I ended up going home.

Plus I always have this fear in the back of my mind about getting fired abruptly (this happened once years ago), and I like knowing, I got at least a month of checks coming in before I even have to start touching unemployment or savings.

At my last job. I was there for like 7 years, I had banked my vacation time up to almost 400 hours. and HR was like ":ufdup: you gotta use those days or forfeit". come to find out, I only had to get them down to 200 hours. but I only had 3 months to do this. so between april and june, I took 6 weeks of vacation that year (2010), all the while I kept accruing more vacation.

when I finally left that job, I had over 300 hours, that they paid me for cash money. I thought I was :win: for real like I hit the lottery. cuz that was free money to blow since I was starting the next job on monday without taking a break.

Our shyt resets every year. I never use mine so come the last two months of the fiscal year I end up just taking random days off to burn through the time. At our company we get unlimited sick days that doesn't count against vacation time.

Erdos

Rookie
Daps
I can only transfer 1 week a year. How much vacation do you get a year? :win:

ThumpDaddy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Birmingham, AL
Yeah, we can move some vacation over. It's cool because since I have been married I have been going on more vacations. When I was single I would take a vacation here or there, but I just tried to schedule it so I wouldn't use any vacation time. But now I been vacationing heavy and it doesn't look like it's going to stop anytime soon either.

iamstr8fire

Apex Predator
Daps
Reppin
In The Thunder and Rain
Our shyt resets every year. I never use mine so come the last two months of the fiscal year I end up just taking random days off to burn through the time. At our company we get unlimited sick days that doesn't count against vacation time.

My job is the same. I end up taking like 3 weeks off in December every year. :ohlawd:

Daps
I currently accrue 10 hours of vacation and 5.34 hours of personal time per month, then they give us 80 hours of sick time for the year. We only get to roll over 40 hours of vacation time after our 1 year mark, and lose any personal time that's left over. Any remaining sick time goes into what they call the "sick bank" which basically is sick time that can only be used in emergencies.

I pretty much save all my hours for the holidays and the summer time. Sick time is just more personal time for me because I never get sick.

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
I can only transfer 1 week a year. How much vacation do you get a year? :win:

like 4 weeks. but I can carry it over and max out at like 5 weeks. I dont have personal days either. plus being in healthcare, we don't get all the little holidays off like MLK, Presidents day, day after thanksgiving, etc.

Mr210

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
At my job depending how long you have been there depends on how much vacation time you can carry over to the next fiscal year. Right now I get 10 hrs of vacation a month and I can only carry 269 to next year. Right now I have somewhere in the low 300s so between now and Aug 31st I will make sure I go just under 269.

Mr210

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I also get 8 hrs of personal time a month, which I never touch because I never lose it regardless, and I also have comp time that i never lose, so when I leave I will get a really nice check