'Almost Christmas' Movie 11/11 ft Danny Glover, Mo'Nique, JB Smoove, Omar Epps, G. Union, and others

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Yesterday, given the sickening election, and my extreme anger and disgust, I needed to see this kind of movie. I was listening to a lot of Pac, hitting a heavy bag until my knuckles cut open, walking around ready to spit in someones face, so I wanted a familiar, low stakes dramedy, with some laughs and some seriousness. I liked this movie, it's better then the 2013 'Best Man' sequel, a little more low key and not as gaudy and elaborate as that, much more grounded, but still a great looking cast, obviously the women are gorgeous, esp. Union, and apparently that was Keri Hilson, also Cheryl..... (sans Mo-Nique,) who manages to do a solid job here, elicting some laughs and some serious moments too.

I didn't know Gabrielle Union could act, and she impressed me in her role, and I thought the romance between her and Omar Epps, (good to see him again too, esp. I saw some of 'In Too Deep' on cable the other night) was one of the most enjoyable parts of the movie. JB Smoove is funny in his role, Danny Glover is ok, and it's all pretty cliche and predictable, but that was fine. Good actors, good intentions, good chemistry, it was perfect movie to see at the time. Obviously not great, but not trafficking in stereotypes to the degrees other similar movies do. It's not very funny, but there are a lot of light laughs, if you are looking for a hilarious comedy, this isn't one, yet most of the jokes work well enough. It's a feel good movie, and it worked for me. Huge improvement on the awful Goodman/Diane Lane/Amanda Peet ensemble I watched last year around this time, in my tradition of watching a sappy Christmas dramedy.

Last edited: