All these dual threat QBs got people missing pure pocket passers

OnlyOneBoss

Superstar
Daps
There's different tiers of scrambling ability.There's the Mike Vick/Lamar Jackson tier.Below that, maybe the Kyler Murray tier.Then comes the Steve Young/Steve McNair level.I'm just wondering where I'd put Mahomes?:patrice:.I'd probably have to create a 4th tier especially for guys like him and Donovan McNabb.Even John Elway could move a li bit.Honorable mention to Jake Plummer.My all time favorite college QB.Wasn't ultra athletic, but he had a crazy knack for slithering through defensive lines & evading the pass rush.Was clutch as hell, to.I swore he was the next Joe Montana:whew:

How I see it

Vick/Lamar/Cam

Josh Allen/Kyler Murray/ Russell Wilson(when he was younger)

Rodgers/Mahomes/Big Ben

Josh Allen and Cam can probably be switched around. Mahomes is weird cause he has the skill set but he’s also a product of the time. I don’t see him running as much say, 10 years ago. He’s probably be seen just like Rodger’s but because he’s in a era where QBs tuck and run more he ends up running more than he probably would in old days

Trojan 24

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Just Win Baby
Crazy ass Rodgers really set the prototype for modern day QBs, mobile but is always pass first and will take off when needed. Mahomes is just a bigger version of that and so is CJ.

Actually I'm starting to think whoever was coaching CJ thru college was on to something. He hung in the pocket almost to his detriment until the last game of his career against Georgia. Seems like it would be easier to have someone learn to trust his legs a bit more then to have to reel in a big time runner :patrice:

JesusFOREVER

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
My Father in Heaven
If Mahomes isn’t considered a dual threat then this thread is pointless because then the only true dual threats in the NFL are Lamar Josh and Kyler and they’re all great, so why would fans of their teams want to ditch them for pure pocket passer? Everyone else either falls into the Mahomes category of a scrambler who can throw or a pocket passer.

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
They want Dylan Raiola then. Dude is an engineer from the pocket.

The pocket awareness/presence at 4:15 was crazy, especially for a 19-year old. No running/scrambling, just a real quick sidestep and throw.

It's funny everyone compares him to Mahomes when he's probably closer to Peyton Manning with the ways he calls from the pocket, audibles, works from the pocket, etc. than Arch Manning is. The guy even calls assignments for the OL like a center (because his dad played Center on the Lions when Stafford was the QB).

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
NULL
How I see it

Vick/Lamar/Cam

Rodgers/Mahomes/Big Ben

Josh Allen and Cam can probably be switched around. Mahomes is weird cause he has the skill set but he’s also a product of the time. I don’t see him running as much say, 10 years ago. He’s probably be seen just like Rodger’s but because he’s in a era where QBs tuck and run more he ends up running more than he probably would in old days
Great list...I forgot about Mr.Unconsensual himself, Big Ben.I think he's a step above Rodgers & Mahomes, tho.I'd actually place him in your Allen/Murray/Russ tier.Can't believe I forgot Cam.He's way up there.

firemanBk

The Manslayer
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
If Mahomes isn’t considered a dual threat then this thread is pointless because then the only true dual threats in the NFL are Lamar Josh and Kyler and they’re all great, so why would fans of their teams want to ditch them for pure pocket passer? Everyone else either falls into the Mahomes category of a scrambler who can throw or a pocket passer.
No, Allen and Hurts are 100% dual threat QBs by any definition
So is Jayden Daniels even if he's just a rookie
Fields obviously

Basically, QBs where their rushing ability is really built into the offense (actual designed runs) and not just them scrambling

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
Mahomes is a dual threat.

He was running 10x a game in college.

He still makes big plays on his feet, like the first down on the broken ankle.

28 Gramz

How U Luv That???
Daps
Reppin
Tre-4,North Carolina
How I see it

Vick/Lamar/Cam

Rodgers/Mahomes/Big Ben

Allen is up there with Cam rushing wise and hes a way better passer. Mahomes is definitely a dual threat, you have to account for his legs in critical situations even though he's a pass first QB.

HabitualChiller

Enjoying a Long Night of Solace✌
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Somewhere on an Xbox
They want Dylan Raiola then. Dude is an engineer from the pocket.

The pocket awareness/presence at 4:15 was crazy, especially for a 19-year old. No running/scrambling, just a real quick sidestep and throw.

It's funny everyone compares him to Mahomes when he's probably closer to Peyton Manning with the ways he calls from the pocket, audibles, works from the pocket, etc. than Arch Manning is. The guy even calls assignments for the OL like a center (because his dad played Center on the Lions when Stafford was the QB).

Thank God that he flipped on Georgia at the last second. Níggas would've been running college football for the next 3 years:mjlol:

HabitualChiller

Enjoying a Long Night of Solace✌
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Somewhere on an Xbox
No, Allen and Hurts are 100% dual threat QBs by any definition
So is Jayden Daniels even if he's just a rookie
Fields obviously

Basically, QBs where their rushing ability is really built into the offense (actual designed runs) and not just them scrambling
How is Fields a dual threat when he's not even a good passer?

Hurts and Fields are both running quarterbacks, but I wouldn't get them confused with dual-threats because they don't routinely carve up defenses through the air.