All-new PS Plus: Essential, Extra, Premium

JQ Legend

Veteran
Daps
Music for True Crime and Likeness for Def Jam most likely.

The music in True Crime is an easy work around so I don’t understand why it wouldn’t be dropped again but Def Jam would never happen because each artist would have to be compensated.
That’s wild tho, didn’t they already get compensated when the game dropped? :gucci:

Why would they get compensated again for them simply putting the same game on PSN/XBL?

And what bout MUA?

Scarface another one

GTA 4 for that matter

So many games been missing

SteelCitySoldier

TSC Fantasy Football Champion 2016
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles C.A.
That’s wild tho, didn’t they already get compensated when the game dropped? :gucci:

Why would they get compensated again for them simply putting the same game on PSN/XBL?

And what bout MUA?

Scarface another one

GTA 4 for that matter

So many games been missing
As for the first question if someone released something with your face and name on it wouldn’t you want to be compensated if it’s making money for someone else?

Scarface and GTA 4 for the same reason as True Crime which like I said is an easy fix with just removing the music but as someone else said the actual studio may want more than what would be offered if it’s even being offered anything.

desjardins

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mustard Island
Surprised I’m enjoying life is strange 2
Maintaining the balance between reining in the lil brother and his powers and still being nice to him because the father died :lupe:

JQ Legend

Veteran
Daps
As for the first question if someone released something with your face and name on it wouldn’t you want to be compensated if it’s making money for someone else?

Scarface and GTA 4 for the same reason as True Crime which like I said is an easy fix with just removing the music but as someone else said the actual studio may want more than what would be offered if it’s even being offered anything.
Yea but wasn’t they already paid when the game was released? Why would they get paid twice for the same game? :dwillhuh:

Like all the people from FFNY was paid when the game was released. Why would they have to be paid again to make the same game they was already paid for available on PSN?

SteelCitySoldier

Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles C.A.
Yea but wasn’t they already paid when the game was released? Why would they get paid twice for the same game? :dwillhuh:

Like all the people from FFNY was paid when the game was released. Why would they have to be paid again to make the same game they was already paid for available on PSN?
If they remade Def Jam Fight for NY and it didn’t have the rappers and they renamed it Fight for NY would it sell, most likely it would…would it sell as much highly doubtful.

It’s their likeness which is an IP (intellectual property). Most people (myself included) would like to be paid if my name and likeness is being used in something. Athletes were paid when they played their respective sport and when they retire they are paid for being in the new games even though they were paid when the previous games came out.

JQ Legend

Veteran
Daps
If they remade Def Jam Fight for NY and it didn’t have the rappers and they renamed it Fight for NY would it sell, most likely it would…would it sell as much highly doubtful.

It’s their likeness which is an IP (intellectual property). Most people (myself included) would like to be paid if my name and likeness is being used in something. Athletes were paid when they played their respective sport and when they retire they are paid for being in the new games even though they were paid when the previous games came out.
You not reading the posts you’re responding to :gucci:

I said 3 times in a row I understand them being paid. But they were already paid when they did the game. Why would they be paid twice for the same exact game?

I don’t know of any other scenario where someone gets paid twice for the same exact performance.

The example of the athletes doesn’t apply because they’re getting paid for different games. It make sense for an NBA player to get paid for NBA 2k22 and then get paid again for NBA 2k23, those are 2 different games. A rapper being paid twice for FFNY would be like a NBA player getting paid for appearing in NBA 2k22. And then getting paid again for appearing in NBA 2k22.

SteelCitySoldier

Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles C.A.

I said 3 times in a row I understand them being paid. But they were already paid when they did the game. Why would they be paid twice for the same exact game?

I don’t know of any other scenario where someone gets paid twice for the same exact performance.

The example of the athletes doesn’t apply because they’re getting paid for different games. It make sense for an NBA player to get paid for NBA 2k22 and then get paid again for NBA 2k23, those are 2 different games. A rapper being paid twice for FFNY would be like a NBA player getting paid for appearing in NBA 2k22. And then getting paid again for appearing in NBA 2k22.
Because it’s their likeness that they’re being paid for not the game being released. Yes it’s the same game being released again but it’s bringing in an entire new revenue stream when it’s being re-released. The game isn’t being given away for free so why wouldn’t they be paid? I’m trying to figure out why this is so hard to understand honestly.

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Contracts licensing music and likenesses are typically very specific. So, the deals offered for the Def Jam games would specify not just saying that their likeness and voice are in the game, but also what platforms the game is released on, and even how long the deal is effective for, effectively giving the publisher a window in which the game can be sold before it's removed from marketplaces, unless another deal is made.

So, to rerelease the games, they'd need to negotiate with everyone again to get them to sign off on their likeness being used again, which probably isn't seen as worth the effort. Same thing happens for licensed games like Marvel, TMNT, etc. They gotta relicense them every now and then, depending on the deal.

Comparing a situation like this to pro sports games isn't really a one to one comparison, because EA/2K/Sony sign two deals. One with the league itself to be able to use the league name, teams, logos, etc., and another with the respective player unions to actually use the likenesses of the players. The unions essentially match their deals to whatever the league does for simplicity's sake. Players who maintain membership in the union get paid out for whatever the union decides all the members' cut is, since it's a deal for the entire body of the union, not the individual base. Those deals are also why when they tried bringing back NBA Jam and NFL Blitz, it was with then current day rosters, instead of trying to get all the old rosters in the game. shyt would've been a licensing nightmare.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Another day one ps plus title next month, one i was very excited to buy anyway. This new guy running that division knows whats up

Last edited: