All In Huh? The Official 2024 New York Yankees Season Thread

Spence

Superstar
Daps
I think Tigers are getting the 2nd WC. I think 3rd WC is coming down to Royals or Twins imo.
If it’s the Twins/Royals then the Orioles then we will see you guys in the ALCS, if we have to go through the Tigers then the Guardians though :pachaha:

We play well, we are October battle tested, but this is easily the weakest Astros playoff team we’ve ever fielded for a variety of reasons.

Verlander is still trying to pitch hurt (and has been terrible since returning), we are missing 5 rotation pitchers to injury, Alvarez might be out with a knee injury yesterday that he’s getting mri’d, and we just lost 3 depth bench outfielders also to injury. :snoop:

Our rookie manager is also mid af and won’t know wtf he’s doing compared to Dusty when it’s time to make the right moves come playoffs :beli:

K-Apps

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brick City/Happy Valley
If it’s the Twins/Royals then the Orioles then we will see you guys in the ALCS, if we have to go through the Tigers then the Guardians though :pachaha:

We play well, we are October battle tested, but this is easily the weakest Astros playoff team we’ve ever fielded for a variety of reasons.

Verlander is still trying to pitch hurt (and has been terrible since returning), we are missing 5 rotation pitchers to injury, Alvarez might be out with a knee injury yesterday that he’s getting mri’d, and we just lost 3 depth bench outfielders also to injury. :snoop:

Our rookie manager is also mid af and won’t know wtf he’s doing compared to Dusty when it’s time to make the right moves come playoffs :beli:
We actually they isn’t re-seeding after the WCS, so whoever wins the 4/5 matchup would face the Yankees. So if the Tigers are the 2nd WC, they would face the Orioles and the Astros would get Twins or Royals. Either way, Astros vs Yankees is very likely ALCS provided one of the other teams doesn’t get hot. We will see, this will be an interesting final week for Wild Card positioning.

Spence

Superstar
Daps
We actually they isn’t re-seeding after the WCS, so whoever wins the 4/5 matchup would face the Yankees. So if the Tigers are the 2nd WC, they would face the Orioles and the Astros would get Twins or Royals. Either way, Astros vs Yankees is very likely ALCS provided one of the other teams doesn’t get hot. We will see, this will be an interesting final week for Wild Card positioning.
Ah, I never really paid attention to seeding in the playoffs. I always thought 1 sees whatever lowest seed is left and the deck gets shuffled.

Hope to see you guys again for another epic October baseball series.

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
I'm letting you boys know right now that if Detroit gets one of the top two WC spots, they're beating the Yanks in the ALDS. :ufdup:

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Ah, I never really paid attention to seeding in the playoffs. I always thought 1 sees whatever lowest seed is left and the deck gets shuffled.

Hope to see you guys again for another epic October baseball series.
The Dodgers have the highest chance of winning the World Series.

Then the Yankees.

But Houston is New York's biggest threat.

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Because they know what time it is if we see each other :troll:
If Houston and New York play each other it may every well come down to which team can put the bat on the ball.

Just about all the advanced metrics favor the Yankees...except for one that stands out to me... batting average.

Brian Cashman has lived and died (mostly died) on the Yankees getting hot and hitting for lots of power. Over the course of a full season, this is mathematically sound. But playoffs aren't 162 games long. They're 4-7 games long. And this has been his undoing.

If Judge or Soto get cold...even if they maintain their ability to draw walks...if the bats behind them can't make contact to drive them in...because the roster has been constructed toward the "3 True Outcomes"...they'll lose again.

If they CAN make contact, it could be relatively easy work.

What's the scary part?
Since the All Star Break, the Houston Astros pitching staff are 2nd in MLB in K/9.

So yeah. The Yankees will have to get hits.
Or else.

Spence

Superstar
Daps
If Houston and New York play each other it may every well come down to which team can put the bat on the ball.

Just about all the advanced metrics favor the Yankees...except for one that stands out to me... batting average.

Brian Cashman has lived and died (mostly died) on the Yankees getting hot and hitting for lots of power. Over the course of a full season, this is mathematically sound. But playoffs aren't 162 games long. They're 4-7 games long. And this has been his undoing.

If Judge or Soto get cold...even if they maintain their ability to draw walks...if the bats behind them can't make contact to drive them in...because the roster has been constructed toward the "3 True Outcomes"...they'll lose again.

If they CAN make contact, it could be relatively easy work.

What's the scary part?
Since the All Star Break, the Houston Astros pitching staff are 2nd in MLB in K/9.

So yeah. The Yankees will have to get hits.
Or else.
There’s another factor you aren’t mentioning. We live in their heads rent free and they might fold like freshly pressed laundry if punched in the mouth down 2-0 having to come back to Houston facing elimination.

We also have Verlander trying to redeem himself coming in as our #5/6 starter, and we know his record pitching against NY :pachaha: