All In Huh? The Official 2024 New York Yankees Season Thread

Mantle Drunk

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NY
If the Yankees stay in this tailspin the rest of the season and miss the playoffs I’m interested to see what happens in the offseason. Does Boone and Cashman have to go? Obviously Steinbrenner what’s to keep it status quo. If he’s not keen on doing so will he have to begrudgingly splurge in the off season to take the heat off?

Would be an interesting offseason

Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Drink wolf cola
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Yeah, get Volpe out of the leadoff spot
I’m ready to say get him out of the lineup entirely. Through 996 plate appearances he’s got a career .229 average, a .294 on base percentage, and a .383 slugging percentage (.383 and .384 so he hasn’t even improved in this regard). He struck out 167 times in 159 games this year and 87 times in 86 games this year so he hasn’t improved in that aspect either. 254 strikeouts to 78 walks on the career and just 3 sac flies. With 2 strikes in the count he’s got a .177/.222/.263 triple slash. He’s hitting .226 with 0 walks in all plate appearances when the pitcher gets ahead in the count. It’s close to the point where we write him off as a bust. If he doesn’t have an amazing July then I’m comfortable saying they need to move on and get a new shortstop in the offseason.

His batting average this year is 1 point higher and his OBP is just 7 points higher than 40 year old Derek Jeter in 2014 coming off a broken ankle that cost him basically the whole 2013 season and Jeter was barely at replacement player level.

Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Drink wolf cola
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
If the Yankees stay in this tailspin the rest of the season and miss the playoffs I’m interested to see what happens in the offseason. Does Boone and Cashman have to go? Obviously Steinbrenner what’s to keep it status quo. If he’s not keen on doing so will he have to begrudgingly splurge in the off season to take the heat off?

Would be an interesting offseason
Anything less than a trip to the World Series and you have to fire Cashman. It’s been 15 years now and just 1 pennant in the past 20 years. How much money and how many draft picks is he gonna be allowed to waste? They still have to pay Soto too and need to replace the entire bullpen and the entire infield. Just this year alone they have $37 million tied up in DJ, Rizzo, and still Aaron Hicks. A good GM could shave $50 million off the payroll and still make major improvements at 3-4 positions of need.

They’ve won their division 2 times in the last 11 years and missed the playoffs 4 times in that span, barely making it to a 1 game playoff in 3 more of those years. He wasted 2004-08 with his inability to develop starting pitching. He wasted 2010-12 with his refusal to go all in on shoring up the starting rotation, and he wasted the entire baby bomber era with his refusal to go after top tier starting pitching and refusing to go after stars while building an all righty lineup with no speed and ignoring 2-4 key positions of need in the field every year. He should’ve been fired ages ago and nothing he’s done in the past 12 months changes that. The fans actually stopped showing up last season they were so fed up. You gotta make major changes.

Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Drink wolf cola
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Rice and wells out of the lineup for a catcher who can’t throw and is hitting .091 in his last 7 games and a guy who was DFA’d by the A’s two weeks ago because a lefty is pitching. Still no word on them going after a third baseman either. Does this team want to win in general? Does it really not matter to them?

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
Uptown and the Bronx
Rice and wells out of the lineup for a catcher who can’t throw and is hitting .091 in his last 7 games and a guy who was DFA’d by the A’s two weeks ago because a lefty is pitching. Still no word on them going after a third baseman either. Does this team want to win in general? Does it really not matter to them?
how many teams are legit out of it right now?

Those teams don't have much appeal except for Chicago who has Robert who we don't have a spot for.

On top of that, since everyone's in it, some teams might offer more for an ok guy.

Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Drink wolf cola
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
how many teams are legit out of it right now?

Those teams don't have much appeal except for Chicago who has Robert who we don't have a spot for.

On top of that, since everyone's in it, some teams might offer more for an ok guy.
The angels, cubs, and Rockies are all done or close to it at this point of the year and have infielders and outfielders who’d be helpful. I said as soon as the marlins put Luis Arraez on the trading block they needed to go after him (though I’m not sure if I said it on here).

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
Uptown and the Bronx
The angels, cubs, and Rockies are all done or close to it at this point of the year and have infielders and outfielders who’d be helpful. I said as soon as the marlins put Luis Arraez on the trading block they needed to go after him (though I’m not sure if I said it on here).
Arraez was never coming here because they don't wanna give up on Gleyber (when they shoulda did it years ago).

Gleyber's not hitting. Verdugo ain't hitting. Volpe ain't hitting. DJ ain't hitting. Trevino's slumping on both ends now. Yankees can't replace everyone not named Judge and Soto even though that's what we want. These guys have to do their jobs. Straight up.

Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Drink wolf cola
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Arraez was never coming here because they don't wanna give up on Gleyber (when they shoulda did it years ago).

Gleyber's not hitting. Verdugo ain't hitting. Volpe ain't hitting. DJ ain't hitting. Trevino's slumping on both ends now. Yankees can't replace everyone not named Judge and Soto even though that's what we want. These guys have to do their jobs. Straight up.
Sure we can say Volpe and Verdugo simply need to hit, but Trevino has been a terrible hitter his entire career and it was always stupid to bet on him becoming a good hitter. DJ has been both bad and hurt for 4 years straight now and he’s 36. It was stupid to bet on him being good or healthy when he hasn’t been either since 2020. They need to hurry up and move Torres already too since they’re clearly not bringing him back. Don’t need another Bader situation where they just let him walk for nothing. They bet on Cabrera when he was coming off a year where he had a .275 OBP and a .299 slugging percentage in 100+ games. That’s another insane gamble to make. They’ve gotten 4 homers in the last 84 games out of 3rd base and 1 homer in the past 50-60 games out of first base but are playing a guy who washed out in Oakland. Some of these moves they’re making are just plain stupid.

JD Davis batting behind Judge should be a federal crime

These are unserious lineups being put out there
It’s 2023 all over again where they had a bunch of shytty infielders (IKF & Jake Bauers) who had no future on the team in the outfield instead of playing the young guys or trying to trade for good players.