All In Huh? The Official 2024 New York Yankees Season Thread

Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Drink wolf cola
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
This lineup has 7 hitters with a sub .400 slugging percentage now. 3 guys with an OBP above .301 and the guy who is 3rd is at .311 and has had an OBP barely .240 for the past month. They have to make as many moves as they can. I’m pretty much at the point of saying I’m ready to write Volpe off as a bust. At the very least he can’t be hitting lead off anymore. May as well put Torres back in that spot for now with how bad he’s been.

Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Drink wolf cola
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Same old Yankees under Boone and Cashman.

If it weren't for Judge and Soto, this team would be totally cooked.
They needed 4-5 hitters in the offseason. Didn’t have a catcher, first baseman, or third baseman. All those dead spots and they were content adding just Soto and a guy who had a .225/.268/.367 triple slash in the second half of last year.

Drake's Tan

All Star
Daps
They needed 4-5 hitters in the offseason. Didn’t have a catcher, first baseman, or third baseman. All those dead spots and they were content adding just Soto and a guy who had a .225/.268/.367 triple slash in the second half of last year.
Relief pitching looking pretty
UAZGQp7.png
too.

But yeah, the batting lineup is so unbelievably top heavy.

Actually not so unbelievable when you consider who's the GM.

Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Drink wolf cola
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Relief pitching looking pretty
UAZGQp7.png
too.

But yeah, the batting lineup is so unbelievably top heavy.

Actually not so unbelievable when you consider who's the GM.
@Remote what was the stat you pulled last year? Was it 10 of his last 14 first round picks didn’t even make the big leagues? That outside of Judge the best WAR by a Yankee position player drafted and developed by the team in his 26 years on the job is Brett Gardner? Top heavy is putting it mildly. The rest of this lineup barely belongs at the major league level at all.

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
@Remote what was the stat you pulled last year? Was it 10 of his last 14 first round picks didn’t even make the big leagues? That outside of Judge the best WAR by a Yankee position player drafted and developed by the team in his 26 years on the job is Brett Gardner? Top heavy is putting it mildly. The rest of this lineup barely belongs at the major league level at all.
I'm not sure what the Yankees do.

You have Soto and Judge. And I guess if Volpe can get back on track there's that.

Gleyber started coming around in May but fell back off in June. So it's fair to assume he won't find his 2023 form.

I said maybe a week or two ago that the Yankees have to consider trading for Pete Alonso. Maybe that asking price is too high but they need another bat and 1B is a major hole.

If not Alonso, people have floated Vlad Guerrero Jr's name out there.

The big name being talked about now is Luis Robert. But the Yankees don't have a spot for him. They're jammed with outfielders as it is. And it stinks that Jasson Dominguez got hurt because I think they were going to lean on him in the 2nd half.

I'm not panicking but I've said this was a delicate lineup from the beginning. And we all knew their hot start was going to cool off eventually. And now flaws are being exposed.

This team is still really good and will be in the playoffs. But they're not very deep or well rounded.

The thing is...how important is it to go all in? Do you make big trades to strengthen the lineup and bullpen (Clay Holmes is way more hittable this year) in an effort to confirm to Juan Soto, and Aaron Judge for that matter, your commitment to winning championships? What if that backfires and Soto signs elsewhere anyway?

It might not seem like it but I feel like the Yankees are at a crossroad.

Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Drink wolf cola
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
I'm not sure what the Yankees do.

You have Soto and Judge. And I guess if Volpe can get back on track there's that.

Gleyber started coming around in May but fell back off in June. So it's fair to assume he won't find his 2023 form.

I said maybe a week or two ago that the Yankees have to consider trading for Pete Alonso. Maybe that asking price is too high but they need another bat and 1B is a major hole.

If not Alonso, people have floated Vlad Guerrero Jr's name out there.

The big name being talked about now is Luis Robert. But the Yankees don't have a spot for him. They're jammed with outfielders as it is. And it stinks that Jasson Dominguez got hurt because I think they were going to lean on him in the 2nd half.

I'm not panicking but I've said this was a delicate lineup from the beginning. And we all knew their hot start was going to cool off eventually. And now flaws are being exposed.

This team is still really good and will be in the playoffs. But they're not very deep or well rounded.

The thing is...how important is it to go all in? Do you make big trades to strengthen the lineup and bullpen (Clay Holmes is way more hittable this year) in an effort to confirm to Juan Soto, and Aaron Judge for that matter, your commitment to winning championships? What if that backfires and Soto signs elsewhere anyway?

It might not seem like it but I feel like the Yankees are at a crossroad.
They have to go all in and offer Soto everything he asks for. Otherwise they may as well start the fire sale and trade both Cole and Judge since they’ll need 6-8 new bats and a new pen if they lose Soto. They have the best outfield in the majors and easily the worst infield in baseball. 1 good defender to 4 bad defenders and 5 awful hitters for the infield. Right now as far as I’m concerned none of the 5 infielders should be back next year. I don’t want to see any of these guys at 1st, 2nd, 3rd, shortstop, or catcher. Rice’s sample size is too small to judge of course.