Alec Baldwin Fired A Prop Gun On Set That Killed The Cinematographer & Critically Injured Director.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
he was supposed to. they were filming a scene where he points a gun at someone a pulls the trigger. The director is on record saying he instructed him to do that. You never once seen a film where an actor pointed a gun at someone?
you're saying denzel is violating gun safety in this scene?
training-day.jpg

i mean i guess technically you're correct, but its his job to be unsafe in that context.
like saying a cop is violating gun safety by pointing his gun at a criminal. context matters
Obviously I've seen people points guns at each other in movies. What you're not going to see is Denzel pointing a gun at Ethan's head point blank in one frame, and (without cutting to another shot) Denzel pulling the trigger and a blank firing. A lot of times when blanks are fired on set the guns aren't even pointed directly at the people being shot on camera, and if they are, they are typically far away. Blanks are dangerous too if they're super close to you.

I'm definitely biased because I've spent a lot of my life around guns, but I would never point a gun at someone and pull the trigger without checking the magazine and the chamber first. I don't care who is asking me to do it. My boss, my friend, my director, my producer, whoever. I understand most actors aren't going to be that paranoid about it, and I get that.

But man...he was a producer on the film and already admitted to having a fear of guns. The set had a history of crazy working conditions, and people had brought live ammo onto the set before then. Would I point a gun on that set at someone and squeeze the trigger just because they told me to?

Again, I don't want to see the guy serve any time, but I don't think he's made zero mistakes, and he's not this super innocent victim he's played himself to be.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
I'm definitely biased because I've spent a lot of my life around guns, but I would never point a gun at someone and pull the trigger without checking the magazine and the chamber first. I don't care who is asking me to do it. My boss, my friend, my director, my producer, whoever. I understand most actors aren't going to be that paranoid about it, and I get that.
again, i struggle to understand how you would so easily be able to tell the difference between a live round and a blank round. just by checking the magazine. okay you do a standard safety check. you check the magazine. as expected its loaded now what?
the picture below is dummy rounds, pretty much indistuighable from live rounds.

R.0f073e7e38b583b14eb40830a0cf07e6

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
@TheDarceKnight
in fact what purpose does a standard safety check even serve in this context? this wasn't about gun being loaded when it wasn't supposed to. it was supposed to be a loaded weapon.

the problem is it was loaded with the wrong ammo.

Safety checks don't tell you the brand of ammunition you are using. I use guns all the time and i've never seen anyone safety check a gun by removing each of the bullets from the mag, inspecting each bullet to make sure it was federal branded 115 grain fmj's stamped on the bottom of each casing. never happens. that would significant test of the actors thumb strength if they were out here manually unloading and loading each mag one bullet at a time before every shoot.

at most you will check the box you got the bullets from to get that information. in this case the person responsible for checking the boxes is the armorer.

nyknick

refuel w/ chocolate milk
Daps
No. He was the egomaniacal producer bossing everyone around, staying in plush hotels while having the rest of the crew sleep in RVs 30+ miles away in 110 degree heat. Having them work on low sleep, for long hours with low pay.

He created the unstable horrible working conditions that led to this.

Don’t let him off the hook. Actually read into the details and what the crew had to say.

Hate when people cape for these rich white egotistical fukks.
You're 100% correct regarding working conditions on the set and Alec Baldwin's responsibility as a producer. However as far as I'm aware he's being charged for discharging the gun as an actor, nothing to do with him being a producer.

The main producer (since titles get thrown around easily in movie business) should be criminally charged and other production companies involved should be held financially liable.

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Why was he even doing this bullshyt low budget nonsense anyway?

Baldwin must have made (and maybe spent) 100 million plus in his career.

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030

Actor and producer Alec Baldwin has been criminally charged in connection with the 2021 fatal shooting on the set of the movie “Rust,” the Santa Fe County, New Mexico, district attorney’s office told CNN Tuesday.

The charges against Baldwin and the set’s armorer, Hannah Guiterrez Reed, include two counts of involuntary manslaughter, the DA’s office said. Attorneys for both defendants previously insisted their respective clients are innocent.

“Negligent use of a deadly weapon charges were also filed against ‘Rust’ assistant director David Halls, who has pleaded no contest and has entered into a plea agreement that is pending approval,” according to a media statement issued by the DA’s office.

“Today we have taken another important step in securing justice for Halyna Hutchins,” District Attorney Mary Carmack-Altwies said in a statement to CNN on Tuesday. “In New Mexico, no one is above the law and justice will be served.”

Carmack-Altwies told CNN earlier this month she would charge Baldwin and the film’s armorer with involuntary manslaughter, accusing them of failing to perform safety procedures that could have prevented the accident that resulted in the death of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins.

Hutchins was struck and killed by a live round of ammunition fired from a prop gun being held by Baldwin, who maintains he did not pull the gun’s trigger.

Director Joel Souza was also shot and injured.

Baldwin did not take firearm training on the “Rust” movie set seriously, prosecutors said in probable cause documents outlining evidence in the case.

“A training session for at least an hour or more in length was scheduled, but the actual training consisted of only approximately 30 minutes as according to (armorer Hannah Gutierrez) Reed, Baldwin was distracted and talking on his cell phone to his family during the training,” the document states.

Gutierrez Reed is also charged with involuntary manslaughter, with prosecutors stating she did not insist on Baldwin’s safety training, did not check each round loaded into the firearms, and did not follow appropriate safety protocols in storing ammunition.

“Gutierrez Reed was reckless in her responsibility to ensure set safety with the firearm. She failed to correct Baldwin from committing the dangerous and reckless safety violations by pointing the weapon at/towards people and by having his finger on the trigger,” according to the probable cause statement against Gutierrez Reed.

“The photos and videos clearly show Baldwin, multiple times, with his finger inside of the trigger guard and on the trigger, while manipulating the hammer and while drawing, pointing, and holstering the revolver,” prosecutors said.

Repeated FBI testing on the weapon determined it could not fire without the trigger being pressed. In interviews with CNN and ABC Baldwin has claimed he did not pull the trigger.

CNN has reached out to representatives for both Baldwin and Gutierrrez Reed.

An image from the Santa Fe County Sheriff's Office released April 25, 2022 shows the scene of the shooting at the Bonanza Creek Ranch in Santa Fe, New Mexico, after cinematographer Halyna Hutchins was shot in 2021.
Santa Fe County Sheriff's Office/AFP via Getty Images

Baldwin has maintained he was not aware the gun he fired during a rehearsal contained a live round. In a statement to CNN on Jan. 19, his attorney called the prosecutors’ decision “a terrible miscarriage of justice.”

“This decision distorts Halyna Hutchins’ tragic death and represents a terrible miscarriage of justice. Mr. Baldwin had no reason to believe there was a live bullet in the gun – or anywhere on the movie set,” Baldwin’s attorney Luke Nikas said in his statement.

“He relied on the professionals with whom he worked, who assured him the gun did not have live rounds. We will fight these charges, and we will win.”

An attorney for Gutierrez Reed said he believes jurors will find his client not guilty.

“We were expecting the charges but they’re absolutely wrong as to Hannah – we expect that she will be found not guilty by a jury and she did not commit manslaughter,” attorney Jason Bowles said in a statement to CNN earlier this month when the indictment was first released.

“She has been emotional about the tragedy but has committed no crime.”

Baldwin and Gutierrez Reed each face two counts of involuntary manslaughter so that a jury can decide which specific count may be more appropriate, Carmack-Altwies previously told CNN.

If convicted, “they will only be sentenced to one count,” the prosecutor said.

In either case, a conviction is punishable by up to 18 months in jail and up to a $5,000 fine, prosecutors said.

But one count would involve a firearm enhancement, or an added penalty, because a firearm was involved. In that case, the crime could be punishable by up to five years in jail, prosecutors said.

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Mostly offline convos but I saw that coming

Weak charges, messy behind the scenes politics, involving a special prosecutor/DA up for re election, it didn't look good. Probably should not have been filed, or had him plea to some sort of community service, or pay a fine/fund to the victims.

Criminal charges like that are overcharged, in this case. And the case, to me, never really held up. Did he pull the trigger of a gun on a movie set out of malice? No, of course not. The premise itself is weak. I know you don't need malice for manslaughter but still, I couldn't get around that. It was just an accident.

Last edited:

LevelUp

Born To Mack
Daps

Alec Baldwin may be recharged with Rust gun death because of 'additional facts'​

New Mexico prosecutors plan to recharge Alec Baldwin with involuntary manslaughter over a fatal on-set shooting in October 2021.

The prosecutors dismissed charges against the Emmy award-winning actor in April, just two weeks before his trial was due to start.

But "additional facts" merit bringing the case again before a grand jury next month, they said.

Lawyers for Mr Baldwin criticised investigators as "misguided".

"It is unfortunate that a terrible tragedy has been turned into this misguided prosecution," they said in a statement.
"We will answer any charges in court."

Mr Baldwin had been practising firing the gun on the set of Rust, a Western, at a ranch near Santa Fe when it went off, fatally striking 42-year-old cinematographer Halyna Hutchins and wounding director Joel Souza.

The actor said at the time that he drew back the hammer on the pistol, but did not pull the trigger.

Charges were dropped against Mr Baldwin six months ago after it was reported that the .45 Colt revolver had been modified with a new trigger in a way that could have made a misfire more likely.

Prosecutors then had the replica gun forensically tested and had some parts of the weapon replaced after it was broken during the FBI's testing.

Experts in ballistics and forensics based in Arizona and New Mexico concluded there was no way for the gun to have been fired without the trigger being pulled.

The special prosecutors leading the case, Kari Morrissey and Jason Lewis, said in a statement sent to BBC News on Tuesday: "After extensive investigation over the past several months, additional facts have come to light."

"We believe the appropriate course of action is to permit a panel of New Mexico citizens to determine from here whether Mr Baldwin should be held over for criminal trial," they added.

In an interview with the New York Times on Tuesday, Ms Morrissey said that "the forensic testing of the gun concluded with certainty that the trigger of the gun had to have been pulled for the gun to go off".

She added that prosecutors intend to begin presenting their case to a grand jury on 16 November.

The film's armourer, Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, faces two counts of involuntary manslaughter.