Akademiks out here disrespecting Foundational Black Americans again.

Superstar
Daps
I love how loaded the Non American black vs Black American bullshyt is on here.

I didn't know what the fukk a Gullah geechee is and none of my people from some island.

Go ahead and take my internet black points away.

atl-chain.gif

HarlemHottie

Uptown Thoroughbred
Daps
Reppin
#ADOS
Eh it's not really dicussed unless u from like South Carolina or some shyt tbh, no one up north know about em either like that.

But amongst allota black folks in New York, it's easy to get tone-deaf off black folks trying to deviate from being African. "I'm not black, I'm Cherokee

Who tf yall be around? We got Geechees in Harlem. My mother's good friend is one from SC and her late 'friend' was one from GA.

You guys need to actually start learning the terms, instead of just repeating what you saw other people writing or saying on the internet....

They are a superset, not a subset. Like a main set, because through them, multiple FBA or ADOS cultures and demographics developed itself. As it pertains to US and modern New World history, they are a parent group, not a child group. The opposite of the Samaná, who are a subset and child group.
Not really. They were brought here on the same boat as everybody else and got sold off like everybody else. The difference with them is that they were isolated away from the rest of us and therefore lack the native and European admixture that the rest of us share. They were also able, due to said isolation, to create (and maintain) a pidgin language based on whatever languages they spoke in Africa that survives until this very day.

Ie, my mother's people are from upcountry SC and do not descend FROM Geechees. However, we maintain some of the same hoodoo traditions and, if not the language itself, the accent. I spent a few afternoons with my great grandmother's sister and could only understand her bc I'd spent a good amount of time around certain WI's.

im_sleep

Superstar
Daps
You guys need to actually start learning the terms, instead of just repeating what you saw other people writing or saying on the internet....

They are a superset, not a subset. Like a main set, because through them, multiple FBA or ADOS cultures and demographics developed itself. As it pertains to US and modern New World history, they are a parent group, not a child group. The opposite of the Samaná, who are a subset and child group.
Exactly, they are a foundational group, amongst others.

I think people get them being a small superset confused with being a subset.

Blessings

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Who tf yall be around? We got Geechees in Harlem. My mother's good friend is one from SC and her late 'friend' was one from GA.

Not really. They were brought here on the same boat as everybody else and got sold off like everybody else. The difference with them is that they were isolated away from the rest of us and therefore lack the native and European admixture that the rest of us share. They were also able, due to said isolation, to create (and maintain) a pidgin language based on whatever languages they spoke in Africa that survives until this very day.

Ie, my mother's people are from upcountry SC and do not descend FROM Geechees. However, we maintain some of the same hoodoo traditions and, if not the language itself, the accent. I spent a few afternoons with my great grandmother's sister and could only understand her bc I'd spent a good amount of time around certain WI's.

I grew up in East Flatbush and Queens Village (mostly around Carribeans) never heard of the Geechees until I heard it from Tariq (in 2023 he might be an agent of chaos amongst the black community and aligned with white supremacy)...He's done more for utilizing his platforming to showcase and educate black history than NYC Board of Ed

Blessings

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Tariq on his next live.
"Hey family y'all hear that tether DJ Akademiks disrespecting our Foundational Black American lineage? I should do a documentary on the Gullah you dig?"
If he does one, I'll buy it
He mentioned creating a live-action film of the black seminoles

Will Ross

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Where y’all getting the idea Black Americans don’t know who the Gullah are. You know it’s tons of nikkas in Savannah and South Carolina right :dahell:

A lot of us have roots where they have roots. If you are a black American you know the connotations of that word Geechee. You nikkas may as well say none of us know what hoodoo is or blues is either

Plenty of people don’t know what it’s
if you not from that region it not odd

im_sleep

Superstar
Daps
I grew up in East Flatbush and Queens Village (mostly around Carribeans) never heard of the Geechees until I heard it from Tariq (in 2023 he might be an agent of chaos amongst the black community and aligned with white supremacy)...He's done more for utilizing his platforming to showcase and educate black history than NYC Board of Ed
Sounds like you found about Geechies the same time Tariq did then
:skip:

• Dap
Reactions: Ros

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Sounds like you found about Geechies the same time Tariq did then
:skip:

Geechies are like Creole people, if you not from their region you likely clueless or maybe at max know em by name only. nikkas lying they ass off if they say everyone know Geechies when I know folks from fukking Macon from generations and thought Geechie nikkas were from the Islands
:mjlol:

Only a handful of people are into history enough to really know the history of folks outside of their region or family. Folks let the internet confuse them to think in the USA Regionalism wasn't a thing pre the current internet age, like literally everywhere was it's own world where if you weren't from somewhere and folks saw you and how you talk and acted they'd be like "where the fukk this nikka from" the exception to the rule was New Yorkers since they make it known to annoy everyone about where they from and how perfect NYC is.
:mjlol:

JasoRockStar

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Charleston, SC
Lotta dudes in this thread exposing themselves for being ignorant of black history. I ain't from Louisiana and none of my family is, but I still know who Creoles are. I ain't from Canada, nor do I live there and I know who the Black Nova Scotians are. You're just dumb as fukk.

And fukk anyone who disrespect my people.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Lotta dudes in this thread exposing themselves for being ignorant of black history. I ain't from Louisiana and none of my family is, but I still know who Creoles are. I ain't from Canada, nor do I live there and I know who the Black Nova Scotians are. You're just dumb as fukk.

And fukk anyone who disrespect my people.
nikka most Americans are stupid as shyt lol

We gotta stop assuming because we know something the rest do

Daps
Reppin
Botz

Hah???????Lol, I didn't say they weren't from the same boat or weren't sold or whatever you are trying to imply...

I will simplify by using an ethnographic and genetics approach...In any ethnic group, you always have many parent groups. The parent groups, are always the ones that came first and retained most of their original cultural traits and genetics. And, from the combined derivatives of these parent groups, you will obtain the different subsets that can make part of the minority or majority of the said ethnic group. No matter how these groups retained their traits and genetics, no matter their demographic numbers, their parentage still maintains. Plus, again, 1 ethnic group, can have multiple parent groups.

For example, if you go to Brazil, the Afro-Baianos, from Bahia state, where the famous city of Salvador is located, only represent 15% of the state's total population. The same applies to the Afro-Mineiros, from Minas Gerais, who are 9% of Minas Gerais total population. Both groups, at maximum, represent like 2% of Brazil's total population. But, both groups. although minorities, are not a subset of Afro-Brazilians in General. They are a superset, because they are some of the first groups to establish themselves as Afro-Brazilians. As a mix of the African, European and New World interactions. And because of that, it is through groups like them, how you obtain most of the regional Afro-Brazilian populations. Attention, it is through groups like them, not only specifically them....

Or, an example right next to you...White Americans...You have whites from all over Europe who established themselves in the USA. But, the superset are groups like WASP. They were part of the ones who defined the broad white American identity and values, based on their cultural practices from Europe and the cultures they interacted during their transition to the New World.
Are they the only ones? No. You also have groups like German-Americans and Franco-Americans, that have been in the New World and what is now USA, for around the same time as WASPs.

More examples...If you go to Europe, the biggest minority all over are the Romanies, also called Gypsies. They are originally from India but, due to persecutions and mass slavery, ended up in Europe. Who were part of the first Romanies in Europe? The ones now living in places like Bulgaria, Romania, overall Eastern Europe. From these parent groups, you later obtain the Romanies from Portugal, Spain, Poland, Czech Republic, Germany etc. These same parent groups are responsible for establishing the first Romani-European identities. As people, that knew they came from India, and that from their dispersion and assimilation through Europe, created their different Romani-European cultures around Europe.

So, the same applies to the Gullah. They cannot be a subset in the Americas, because they are part of the first Afro-descendant groups to directly arrive and establish an in-group identity based on where they originally came from, on the Europeans they interacted with and the new land they established themselves. It doesn't mean that they are the only ones. But overall, they can't be a subset, only a superset.

JasoRockStar

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Charleston, SC
nikka most Americans are stupid as shyt lol

We gotta stop assuming because we know something the rest do
You right about that, but if black folks don't know about other black folks living in their own country, then that's a problem. You said that some folks in Macon, GA don't know about Geechies then them dudes are ignorant af. That means they don't even know their own state.