AJ Gray goes in on Wrestling Twitter following blowback for pointing out lack of Diversity

PlayerNinety_Nine

Produced, Arranged, Composed and Performed by....
Daps
I was with him until he started trying to say that S.D. Jones and Koko B. Ware weren't jobbers and were being unfairly compared to fukking Jerry Flynn of all people (I think people should check out Koko's Memphis work, including one of the best and most brutal squashes of all time, but he WAS a jobber and I guarantee more people care about him than fukking Jerry Flynn)

Should AEW be pushing more minority talent? Sure. Is the industry racist as fukk? Absolutely. But dude had about 3-4 good tweets before he decided to start making ridiculous claims.

Like, changing your style so you're not working like an unsafe botcher who was always hurt is somehow racist? :wtf: Come on, don't fukk up the legitimate points you have by overstating the case.

Nah - dude has a point.

You're talking about them in terms of their WWF runs, where they were always booked to lose.

Koko B Ware had an 8 year long career before he went up north and SD Jones was putting in work in NWA too. That is the reason they're Hall Of Famers. Not just because Vince booked them to count the lights everytime they hit the ring and people have fond memories of Frankie.

TrueEpic08

Dum Shiny
Daps
Reppin
SoCal State Beaches
Nah - dude has a point.

You're talking about them in terms of their WWF runs, where they were always booked to lose.

Koko B Ware had an 8 year long career before he went up north and SD Jones was putting in work in NWA too. That is the reason they're Hall Of Famers. Not just because Vince booked them to count the lights everytime they hit the ring.

But that doesn't discount the fact that they were, in fact, jobbers there. The history of pro wrestling is littered with the careers of super talented underneath guys that were stars in their territory and JTTS types in WWE/WCW.

I literally said in the post you quoted that I think people should watch Koko's Memphis work, so I'm not ignorant of what they did before the WWF (and I reiterate, Koko dished out of the most unheralded great squashes ever. Might post it if I can find it). But don't contest what was a fact, pimp their other work. Why not post that quality non-jobber work and boost traffic towards it instead?

Starboy52

Superstar
Daps
I assumed it was Gresham and MVP,

It just goes to show how many Black wrestlers there are out there right now.

Also - the fact that Fred Yehi hasn't been picked up by a major company is fukkING CRIMINAL

Breh, I was ASTOUNDED when I found out he’s only 26-27 years old. :dwillhuh:

To be that young and that insanely talented? How the fukk has nobody managed to scoop him up yet???

Ripp

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Queens
I was seeing some of this last night and he’s not wrong at all. I noticed when corona first hit, it’s like every jobber I saw (in the WWE as well) was black, literally every single one, and I don’t feel like that was a coincidence at all. There’s this one dude Denzel Dejournette that’s like 6’2” 260 and getting mopped up like he’s the size of Marko Stunt. That makes no sense.

Tehuty miles been getting the beats put on him as well and he isn't a small guy and mauro always mentions his military background on commentary... how is a dude with military training getting washed so easily?

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
Meanwhile Impact, ROH, NWA looking at this thread like

giphy.gif

AAA and NJPW like

PlayerNinety_Nine

Daps
Meanwhile fukkin Marko Stunt is on TV EVERY WEEK and even had a storyline :hhh:

:francis:

I know, fam. I know.

Breh, I was ASTOUNDED when I found out he’s only 26-27 years old. :dwillhuh:

To be that young and that insanely talented? How the fukk has nobody managed to scoop him up yet???

He was dope in MLW - then he just vanished. I'm holding out vain hope that he manages to get into the New Japan system via this Lion's Collision shows they have going. Bloodsport in particular have stayed fukking up by not bringing him in for anything so far.

EDIT: Looks like Yehi was supposed to be in an ROH tournament before the virus hit, so maybe someone was willing to bring him in from the cold....

Last edited:

trick

sleeping
Supporter
Daps
:francis:

I know, fam. I know.

I know he's just enhancement talent, but the fact there's not a single featured BLACK male featured on Dynamite every week while they trumpet equality and progressive every week is laughable. Even the black males signed to AEW are enhancement talents: Sonny Kiss, Scorpio Sky, Ricky Starks and Sugar Dunkerton. They get featured for a week or two (in Scorpio's case, three months), and they're off the screen immediately. They have NO plans for them. They don't have any characters. Meanwhile, you have fukkin Marko Stunt on screen every week. You have MJF cutting the same promo.

AEW has a real problem. They clearly want to be progressive, but it's just lip service when it comes to black people IMO. Even the idiots at Impact are trying with Willie Mack, Chris Bey and Moose.

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
I know he's just enhancement talent, but the fact there's not a single featured BLACK male featured on Dynamite every week while they trumpet equality and progressive every week is laughable. Even the black males signed to AEW are enhancement talents: Sonny Kiss, Scorpio Sky, Ricky Starks and Sugar Dunkerton. They get featured for a week or two (in Scorpio's case, three months), and they're off the screen immediately. They have NO plans for them. They don't have any characters. Meanwhile, you have fukkin Marko Stunt on screen every week. You have MJF cutting the same promo.

AEW has a real problem. They clearly want to be progressive, but it's just lip service when it comes to black people IMO. Even the idiots at Impact are trying with Willie Mack, Chris Bey and Moose.

Let me just ask you this question straight up.

And this isn’t to defend AEW or even shyt on them.

So all y’all other niccas can kill that before y’all get started:camby:

But for you, how do you feel about AEW Dark, their second show or do you even watch that?

PlayerNinety_Nine

Daps

I feel like in AEW it's a chicken and egg thing - you had Brandi talking about Cody saying he doesn't see color, and telling him "Well, then you don't see me" which required some insight, but then you have Brandi complaining that she wasn't seen as Black enough during the start of the George Floyd protests. They need someone to walk them through 'diversity' step by step. From what I've heard about WWE of late - MVP has been doing a good job of that.

With the whole Tyson thing, they've shown that they understand that it's Black mainstream celebrities who have taken wrestling up a level when they've been involved in the past (See: Mr. T/ Hogan, Tyson/ Austin I think they even tried it with Diesel and LT too). They need to do a better job of hiring and booking top of the card/ upper mid card Black talent..

I would really like to see them bring in Lio Rush, personally. Dude was good money on the indies and he has a ton of personality. Have him come in with two bigger guys and recreate that Griselda chemistry. He could still get off his music in his spare time, like Jericho does as well. shyt would just add to his character.