Air Traffic Controller

Mac

Ready for the Beach #Summer2k16
Daps
Reppin
Pretty af.
Has anyone ever dabbled in this field or know anyone who has? I heard that it can be stressful and that you only work a few hours at time before you take a break.. I was going to try it a few years ago but I veered into something else. Now I'm considering it but first hand experience is always better than guessing.

chineebai

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
just watch that movie with billy bob thorton and angelin ajolie where he plays an air traffic controller

Token

Concerned Aunt
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Front Porch
:ld: Where's Liggins?...

....that nikka has something to do with airplanes I just honestly don't remember if he's the one flying or loading them.

:mjpls:

posterchild336

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
my friend was going into that career, he was telling me about the benefits but also the responsibility that you have with this job. Alot is at stake if there are any errors, benefits are good alot of pto days and I think you work 8 hours a day instead of 9, but you are on constant watch is what he was telling me.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
I was going to do this in the Air Force but then i saw how their salaries got slashed big time in the civilian world. All i know is that it is one of the most stressful jobs out there. Suicide rate is the highest of any job.

ThumpDaddy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Birmingham, AL
Has anyone ever dabbled in this field or know anyone who has? I heard that it can be stressful and that you only work a few hours at time before you take a break.. I was going to try it a few years ago but I veered into something else. Now I'm considering it but first hand experience is always better than guessing.
One of my pool teammates is a Air Traffic Controller. I don't know your age but I think when you turn 55 you have to retire no matter how long you have been doing it. You have to take mandatory breaks every few hours and you do have to be on your shyt. He's a pretty laid back dude so I have never seen him stressed. We recently started playin on different teams but I still have his number. If there are any questions that you want me to ask him I will and get back to you.

BonafideDefacto

The Coli's Jetsetter & Globetrotter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Bay
I was on the eve of going to a ATC school before changing my mind years ago. I will break it down for you.

• You have to go to school to be a ATC. Search local community colleges that have the program. They no longer hire off the street so you need to get ur certification
  • Let me tell you before anything else. The waitlist is long, I know people who went thru the program and waited years until they got there callback. Oh, and after you finish school you have to take the test and your GPA and test score will determine your odds of getting a callback
  • If you are serious, I still have my ATC Career Prep guide, I can send it to you if you want it. It will definitely help you and is a great guide to the career

JP_614

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Aloha State
Got a friend who does it in the air force its stressful as shyt it
also is one of the highest suicidal jobs in the air force
you got 12 jets up in the air and you have to get them on the ground in a smooth order talk to them while they call for clearance to land think of the horror stories if a pilot had a ife(in flight emergency) so he has to land but theres a u2 on the deck my jet and we have to punch pogos so there are people out on the run way and you have a ife trying to land what would you do?? what would you say to the pilot in the ife?
Other than that they are well respected