After Sunday we need to decide what The Film Room’s GOAT prestige drama tv show is (poll ends FRIDAY)

Choose TWO. Your GOAT modern prestige drama series. (Tiers discussion below)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
Sunday night I add a poll

We need to decide what makes the cut. Modern elite tv. Not including superheroes or scifi (black mirror, dr who). Here are my preliminary shows.

Provide feedback on the tiers as well. * indicates recent movement based on discussion.

Pantheon, auto bids
  • The wire
  • Sopranos
  • Succession
  • Breaking Bad
Elite
  • Game of Thrones*
  • Top Boy
  • Mad Men
  • Ozark
  • Better call saul
  • True detective
  • The shield*
  • The americans*
Fire
  • Barry
  • Snowfall
  • Friday night lights
  • Gomorrah*
  • Westworld
  • Luther
  • Boardwalk empire
  • Mr. Robot
  • The last of us
  • Narcos
  • Billions
  • Oz
Great but we need to definitely debate
  • Godfather of harlem
  • The walking dead
  • Newsroom
  • Peaky blinders
  • Deadwood
  • Yellowjackets
  • Yellowstone
  • The crown
  • Spartacus
  • 24*
  • House of Cards*
  • Power*
For consideration
  • Nip/tuck
  • 6 feet under
  • Big love
  • Euphoria
  • The Leftovers
  • Homeland
  • The West Wing
  • Vikings*
The shred bin
  • Sons of Anarchy*
Questionable genre
  • Atlanta*
  • Lost*
What should be on the 14 choices, and what isn’t listed that should?

Last edited:

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
I'm assuming Westwood is Westworld?

As far as for consideration purposes, I'd add The Leftovers, Lost, 24, Homeland, The Americans, The West Wing, The Shield, Stranger Things, X-Files, Battlestar Gallactica.....there's a lot of shyt I'm probably forgetting:francis:

Pretty sure The Sopranos won by a slight margin over The Wire last time something like this was done.

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
I'm assuming Westwood is Westworld?

As far as for consideration purposes, I'd add The Leftovers, Lost, 24, Homeland, The Americans, The West Wing, The Shield, Stranger Things, X-Files, Battlestar Gallactica.....there's a lot of shyt I'm probably forgetting:francis:

Pretty sure The Sopranos won by a slight margin over The Wire last time something like this was done.
Stranger things i considered scifi and if you include that, that opens a big door including xfiles

The others though, yeah, should be considered.

Fctftl

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Succession gonna have a boost cuz it's new and theres gonna be prisoners of the moment after the finale. gonna be on some
succession-logan-roy-i-will-win-screaming.gif

and my response will be
7b22158f-0845-47e7-bd5f-b77ae31badb2_text.gif

HotBlushingAustraliankelpie-size_restricted.gif

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
Succession gonna have a boost cuz it's new and theres gonna be prisoners of the moment after the finale. gonna be on some
succession-logan-roy-i-will-win-screaming.gif

and my response will be
7b22158f-0845-47e7-bd5f-b77ae31badb2_text.gif

HotBlushingAustraliankelpie-size_restricted.gif
Besides recency bias, I think Succession came thru at the perfect time. We got really used to calling this the Golden Age of TV, when I think that ended before Succession started and we instead are in the Golden Age of Streaming. GoT fumbling at the endzone, while Succession just came in and crushed the buildings off rip was huge. A true, original prestige drama (Better Call Saul, which I love, was a spinoff) that can't be watched while simultaneously checking your phone. Lastly, ending after 4 seasons is huge. People will want more while (if they stick the landing) not being able to claim it overstayed its welcome.

Fctftl

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Besides recency bias, I think Succession came thru at the perfect time. We got really used to calling this the Golden Age of TV, when I think that ended before Succession started and we instead are in the Golden Age of Streaming. GoT fumbling at the endzone, while Succession just came in and crushed the buildings off rip was huge. A true, original prestige drama (Better Call Saul, which I love, was a spinoff) that can't be watched while simultaneously checking your phone. Lastly, ending after 4 seasons is huge. People will want more while (if they stick the landing) not being able to claim it overstayed its welcome.
It is ending strong. Only show recently that ended high was Better Call Saul. I do think the golden age is over due to the over saturation of bullshyt from sites like Netflix and Peacock, its quantity over quality with a few gems like Succession that pop up.

BobbyWojak

Superstar
Daps
Succession and Game of Thrones have great seasons, but overall they go in the 'fire' category, True detective and Atlanta should be moved down too, shows with bad seasons shouldn't get to be in that category. Better Call Saul should be moved up, Luther, House of Cards, The Crown & Gomorrah should be added to 'great', Twin Peaks added to fire.

Newsroom, Power, Billions, Top Boy are cult hits that don't belong on any list, of course I love Power and enjoyed newsroom, but the truth is they aren't very good tv.

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
Succession and Game of Thrones have great seasons, but overall they go in the 'fire' category, True detective and Atlanta should be moved down too, shows with bad seasons should get to be in that category. Better Call Saul should be moved up, Luther, House of Cards, The Crown & Gomorrah should be added to 'great', Twin Peaks added to fire.

Newsroom, Power, Billions, Top Boy are cult hits that don't belong on any list, of course I love Power and enjoyed newsroom, but the truth is they aren't very good tv.
Top Boy absoutely belongs. And billions being a “cult hit” is WILD. I can agree that True detective could be moved down. But atlanta was outstanding, polarizing season or not.

BobbyWojak

Superstar
Daps
Top Boy absoutely belongs. And billions being a “cult hit” is WILD. I can agree that True detective could be moved down. But atlanta was outstanding, polarizing season or not.

Billions might be popular, but it's not a quality show. Lots of episodes of Atlanta are hit or miss and have very little to say, for example the 'teddy perkins' episode in season 2, pure diversion that doesn't have any memorable moments or leave you with anything to think about. I'd put Atlanta on a most disappointing list. I've seen season 1 of Top Boy and like Luther I just don't think it's special and leans on a handful of performances to hold your interest, which is common for average shows.

EzekelRAGE

Superstar
Daps
Americans and The Shield deserve to be in the Elite tier. It's way above stuff in tier 3(Fire) and beats shows in the elite tier as well.
Half and Catch Fire is elite as well

EzekelRAGE

Superstar
Daps
Also, we taking the show in it's entirety right? We have to be if you talking about the last episode of Succession would knock it down(heavily disagree on that btw) If so, GOT gets knocked down a tier due to the last 2-3 seasons :manny: