Essential Afro-Latino/ Caribbean Current Events

Yehuda

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
CDB approves US$436.7 million country strategy for Trinidad and Tobago

Published on December 13, 2016

BRIDGETOWN, Barbados -- The board of directors of the Caribbean Development Bank (CDB) has approved a country strategy for Trinidad and Tobago for the period 2017 to 2021. The strategy proposes financial support of US$436.7 million from CDB.

cdb-logo.jpg

“This strategy underscores CDB’s longstanding commitment to helping Trinidad and Tobago achieve its development priorities. It will provide focused support that aims to unlock the country’s potential for economic and social development, improve competitiveness, promote good governance, and drive environmental sustainability,” said Dr Justin Ram, director of economics, CDB.

The programme of assistance is designed to help Trinidad and Tobago achieve five key development outcomes:

1. Improved quality of, and access to, education and training;

2. Strengthened social protection;

3. Increased productivity, competitiveness and economic diversification;

4. Improved evidence-based development planning and institutional development; and

5. Strengthened environmental management supported by safe and resilient infrastructure.

Gender equality, as well as energy security and citizen security considerations, will be mainstreamed in CDB’s interventions delivered under the strategy.

The programme of assistance takes into account lessons learnt from the previous country strategy (2011-2014), including the need to address institutional implementation capacity and strengthen donor coordination to achieve more meaningful development results.

In developing the country strategy, CDB held extensive discussions with officials from the government of Trinidad and Tobago, as well as other stakeholders and development partners. This dialogue is central to promoting country ownership of the strategy.

The approved strategy aligns with CDB’s strategic objectives of supporting inclusive and sustainable growth and development, and promoting good governance. It builds on the government of Trinidad and Tobago’s National Development Plan Vision 2030.

CDB approves US$436.7 million country strategy for Trinidad and Tobago

ZoeGod

I’m from Brooklyn a place where stars are born.
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn,NY
There is plenty of blame that goes on but I do not like how Lavalas supporters go and burn down buisness where their own mothers and grandmother's work at. I am no fan of Arisitide and the Lavalas party because they have been in power for the majority of the 90s and 2000s. And they haven't accomplish shyt except enrich themselves, demobolize the military and arm gangs in Cite Soleil and Bel-Air.

Yehuda

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Jacobs supports recognition of local ‘S’maatin’ English

15 DECEMBER 2016

xSjacobsheadandtorso.jpg.pagespeed.ic.zTbpZ42esO.webp

PHILIPSBURG--Minister of Education, Culture, Youth and Sports ECYS Silveria Jacobs on Wednesday expressed her support for the recognition of St. Maarten English – which she spelled as “S’maatin” English.

“I believe that recognising S’maatin English as our local language and not necessarily establishing it as our official language is a point of focus which because it already exists is just a matter of recognising it and safeguarding it culturally.” She said this would be a key cornerstone to the country building a resilient nation.

Activities to realise this would include encouraging researchers to delve deeper into the subject matter; teaching of phrases and traditional sayings; creating special awareness programmes on the value of the language and encouraging the language to be spoken on national holidays such as Emancipation Day and St. Maarten Day.

She said the latter should be done without persons who speak the local English from being laughed, frowned at or ridiculed by others such as by family members or strangers who may think the person is just speaking “bad English... St. Maarten’s English definitely needs to be recognised.”

She alluded to Curaçao, where she says every businessperson, irrespective of where they come from, speak Papiamentu.

Yehuda

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Grave digging: A lucrative business in rural Jamaica

A ‘grave’ situation

BY KIMONE FRANCIS Observer staff reporter | francisk@jamaicaobserver.com
Monday, December 19, 2016

248124_74642_repro.jpg

Supporters of families gather at Annotto Bay Cemetery in St Mary.

248120_74645_repro.jpg

Calvin Hill explains how he earns from digging graves.

248118_74647_repro.jpg

Buff Bay Cemetery

248117_74648_repro.jpg

Charmaine Douglas-West is all smiles as she prepares for the day’s activities.

248121_74644_repro.jpg

Patrick Green gives the Jamaica Observer North East team a thumbs up as his friend Charmaine Lee looks on.

248119_74646_repro.jpg

Food being prepared for those attending grave digging.

248125_74641_repro.jpg

Vendors at Annotto Bay Cemetery hope to benefit from the day’s business. (Photos: Kenyon Hemans)

248122_74643_repro.jpg

Calvin Hill sits atop one of the graves he designed and constructed.

AN inexperienced selector blasts music from portable speaker boxes, pockets of smoke permeate the air from the pots of vendors, young and old dance up a storm — it is grave-digging time and grave digging is a lucrative business in rural Jamaica.

“When it a gwaan good you sell, trust me, but when it poor a just suh,” said Charmaine Douglas-West, a vendor looking to benefit from the day’s business.

“Mi work inna bar in general, but mi seh, ‘you know, bar slow inna di day’, so mi come out here. You see people do it and you seh ‘alright mek mi try it’. And it work, trust mi; it work because even when mi sell at di ninth night den mi get good sale. Mi follow some of the bands dem and dem will call mi sometimes and tell mi where dem playing,” she continued as she watched the day’s proceedings at the Buff Bay cemetery in Portland.

Wednesday is the traditional grave-digging day for parishes in eastern Jamaica and many seek to benefit from it. The Jamaica Observer North East team observed nine graves being dug in the neighbouring parishes of St Mary and Portland.

“It’s a way to earn, trust me,” those attending will tell you, while advising that you exercise patience coupled with a sociable demeanour to meet your goal.

That is how you get by, that is how you capitalise on earnings from those mourning or celebrating the dead.

“Yuh have some places weh yuh can’t give it out in private to the funeral home. Yuh have to give it to community people or dem will vex and seh how yuh nuh mek dem help you bury your family and dig di grave,” Patrick Green said from the back of his van, which was loaded with items for sale.

Green noted that sales for the day depends heavily on the person who has died or that dead person’s family.

“Some people carry a bigger crowd. The more famous the person is or family member, the bigger the grave digging. Normally mi bring mi sound, play some gospel, then some big people music, then later on down inna di evening when it touch 5 o’clock mi play di young people dem song,” he said as he described how he operates on a typical grave digging day.

For Calvin Hill, a man who has spent 27 years digging graves, business is always good.

“Sometimes mi get five, sometimes mi get six, according to how di people dem dead. Mi will bury five Saturday and four Sunday regularly you know,” he explained, though admitting that he would dig graves every day if it were up to him.

For the Portlander, it is the easiest way to make $8,000 — digging the earth four feet deep, then finishing up with six blocks.

“Yeah man, a suh mi mek mi money. Mi nuh work wid parish council; mi mek mi money offa di people. I work with di people. You come and doing a grave, I work with you, you give me something.

“Yuh come and mi seh, ‘Bwoy, gimmi a $8,000,’ and yuh can’t pay dat, mi naah kill yuh. Yuh seh, ‘rastaman, yuh know seh mi can’t pay eight,’ mi seh ‘give mi five’. A it help mi fi live,” Hill added.

While concurring that it’s a job many would shy away from, the 57-year-old said it is something he loves.

“I don’t afraid of nothing. You see on earth, only live people can do you things. Dead people can’t do you nothing. A live people obeah yuh, a live people shoot yuh, a live people stab yuh. Mi an’ dem [duppy] live an’ dem never do mi nothing from mi an’ dem live.

“I am here every day and somebody soon come in and mi have a food to eat. A suh mi live. Wi must affi die; yuh think mi count out myself? I would never do that. a nuh mi mek life, a God mek life,” Hill said.

Grave digging: A lucrative business in rural Jamaica - News

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
[QUOTE="Yehuda, post: 22402107, member: 2179
“I don’t afraid of nothing. You see on earth, only live people can do you things. Dead people can’t do you nothing. A live people obeah yuh, a live people shoot yuh, a live people stab yuh. Mi an’ dem [duppy] live an’ dem never do mi nothing from mi an’ dem live.

Grave digging: A lucrative business in rural Jamaica - News[/QUOTE]
:mjlol:Dwl

Big up Portland and KSAC:mjgrin: