African immigrants and race in America

Misreeya

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Sudan/New Zealand.
Yeah, if you've immigrated to the Gulf or Europe then to America, I'd expect a better grasp on "race" in America. I'd guess color is a bigger deal in Sudanese society than say Nigeria or Uganda, too?

Are you asking within Sudan? if i am correct in regards to color.

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
I wonder how Kofi Annan feels now? Unlike other Africans, it seems like Sudanese has a good grasp on the issue of race before coming to America for some reason, especially those who grew up in the Gulf states and very proficient on everything that is America, and there accent when they are speaking English is indistinguishable as i noticed.

Good video.

ChatGPT-5

Superstar
Daps
If you think 43k median income is impressive and enough to shield you from White supremacy...then you're an idiot :yeshrug:

African immigrants SHOULD graduate at a higher rate...they make up less than 10% of the Black American population and generally are compromised of their self-selected countries best:mjlol:

BTW your stats only address 1st generation immigrants, not their children whose socioeconomics resembles much closer to that of African Americans :ld:
1. Actually they shouldn't be graduating at an higher rate per your fukking article you idiot. That's my point, the article is wrong, because the experience is different and varies.

2. The children of the immigrants actually make MORE money than the parents, would you like the stats? I can post them. :mjpls:
@Clean Cut

I'm confused. Do you live in Rwanda or the USA. Again confused because some of your posts seem like you live in the West while some seem like you live in your country...
Went to college in DC. 4 1/2 in DC, 2 East London prior. I've mentioned this many times because people like to say "You don't know shyt about this place, you're way over there" not knowing that I've experienced it.

edit: and as for Swines, I already know what time it is with them, difference is Africans don't focus on that, we focus on internal goals, that's the difference. I was just reading a thread about criticism cacs had about the movie Luke Cage and Birth of a Nation, but who gives a fukk what they think? The movie is already created and generating money, who fukking cares what they think? I don't understand why one needs to highlight what cacs think, that part is confusing to me.

Last edited:

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
:snoop:Never entertain idiots

No, the median is not higher for children of immigrants and yes a significantly smaller group should have a higher average than a much larger one. Magic Johnson and Jay Z not experiencing police brutality does not negate anything for the AA experience.

Misreeya

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Sudan/New Zealand.

I will answer this in several parts and provide a youtube video from Sudanese.

In every society there was a standard of beauty or a general appearance that reflects the dominant population. Being to light or too dark at one time was not considered beautiful

These people are not an ideal form of beauty in Sudan Or Nile Valley Sudanese or Northern Sudanese whatever.

art_Alek-Wek-585x378.jpg
\\

Ajak.jpg

nor at one time Nancy Ajaj below picture consider Ideal or beautiful

l.jpg

However people like this (below pictures) used to be ideal and still a certain degree still is.

pelt12.jpg

0cec94773b7d6a92671e96ca7793f93f.jpg

708_xcitefun-miss-sudan_max600.jpg

universityofkhartoum.jpg

These individual was and for some people still is the ideal form of beauty to many Nile Valley Sudanese they are not too "white" nor too "black" or not cooked right in the oven or over done, but something in the middle of those extremes, and hair texture from 2a-3b which is deem worthy and beautiful is a reflection of a slight or narrow majority especially after the south separated of course. Those attributes are deem beautiful and honorable especially for women. There has been a change in standards of beautiful especially with the rise of Arabism and Turkish soap operas, fair skin is now deem worthy along with the typical reddish brown or carmel skin of most Nile Valley Sudanese. Hence some people resort to bleaching.

As far as discrimination goes, people discriminate regionally in regards to South Sudanese and some Darfurians, and South Kordofan is yes.

Is there a issue btw tribes in the North? sometimes, but it is not as serious as what we are witnessing in south Sudan.

Does colorism exist in the North or within our groups? Yes to a disagree, but it is not as serious. Lastly, dark skin people with 2a-3a hair, and narrow features or portional features are deem beautiful as well for some people. Southern groups are not considered esteem in appearance, however some open minded people in the North do view Southern peoples beautiful as well. So it all depends on the individual

Here are a few videos and bloggs and a quote.

4-Inter-Inter-Marriage
rn Sudanese, but as a Northern, I was told from a young age that marriage between Northern and Southern Sudanese is a social taboo. The mere mention of such a thing is near blasphemous. Forget marrying a full-blooded Southern Sudanese, marrying a Northern Sudanese with any Southern roots or Southern ‘blood’ is even considered unfathomable, especially amongst ‘big families’ in Sudan. I can’t continue discussing this point, it makes me sick to my stomach, onto the next one…
Moral of the story: Love em or leave em
(literally)

5 Ultimate Solutions That Could Have Saved Sudan

Another Sudanese blogger about her personal battles right skin color where as her mother did not, unlike her mother who was dark skin, whereas she was nicely "brown", her hair was not 2c like her moms, but typical sub Saharan African hair. her blogg

When I was born, I was lighter than her and I had pinkish cheeks. People were amazed at this and my mother was pleased. Later on, I discovered that I inherited her inferiority complex but in another form. It was a typical African female problem. The Afro hair. I was blessed with thick very curly hair. I didn’t like it when I was a kid. Maybe because my mother and sister have long straight hair or mabye because my mother didn’t like it and she didn’t exactly hide that. My family didn’t hide this too. I often heard this from my aunts ” oh you have a nice skin tone, nice brownish color but you sure didn’t inherit your mother’s hair”. I have my Nubian grandmother’s hair, curly and thick. Curls that bounce back. It’s African hair. I’m not ashamed of it. Hair represents so much to people. It shows your heritage. But again, aren’t my people ashamed of their whole heritage? Why shouldn’t they be ashamed of their hair too?

This stuff usually unfortunately affect women the most, which i do relate since i went through the same deal as the blogger above.

Dark-Skin and Afros- Our worst nightmare

This is long winded but i hope this answer your question.

P.S. Women having a heavy bottom was standard and to some people still is, but due to globalization things are changing.

Last edited:

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
I would like to hear this from my fellow North Sudani or even Egyptians, how they deal with the issue of "race" in America. Especially those which is majority of Egypt, and significant amount of Sudanese are not easily ID in regards by "race". I remembered reading online, a Sudani girl i normally talked said people on her job, thought she was Latina, until she corrected them and said she was African and black. Although they look at her funny, and simply ignored what she said, but did not ask again according to her. So i wonder how Sudanese(not all Sudanese)like her deals with classifying themselves within the American racial contexts. There are a few here on thecoli more like 7 or 8 of them but mainly on the hiphop section, and i wonder how they navigate it.

My girlfriend is North Sudanese. She sees herself as Black. However, the 'whiteness' of Arab culture (there are a lot of Levantine Arabs where I live) causes confusion.

She may see herself as a "black", but do the general society see her as black which is the question? I hear some people become confuse in regards to "race" in America. In other words, how she is ID.

Is your girl friend a Nancy Ajaj kind of Sudanese? i am just curious.

General society has labeled her as Indian, Pakistani, Lebanese, Brazilian, Puerto Rican etc.

She's a bit darker than Ajaj.

This reminds me when I was a kid in the 90's, my family used to live in a Apartment Complex (North Dallas/Lake Highlands area for my DFW brehs) that had A LOT of Ethiopians. I never knew Ethiopia was a country in Africa (until years later) & never considered Ethiopians black because they looked too different from African-Americans & West Africans. They looked Indian, Pakistani, Lebanese, or etc. like @MansaMusa said.

Misreeya

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Sudan/New Zealand.
This reminds me when I was a kid in the 90's, my family used to live in a Apartment Complex (North Dallas/Lake Highlands area for my DFW brehs) that had A LOT of Ethiopians. I never knew Ethiopia was a country in Africa (until years later) & never considered Ethiopians black because they looked too different from African-Americans & West Africans. They looked Indian, Pakistani, Lebanese, or etc. like @MansaMusa said.

I have been around many Pakistani, Indians, Lebanese people, you may have individuals that look like that which is rare, but group wise, there is not much of a resembles between us and them. imho.

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
Went to college in DC. 4 1/2 in DC, 2 East London prior. I've mentioned this many times because people like to say "You don't know shyt about this place, you're way over there" not knowing that I've experienced it.

edit: and as for Swines, I already know what time it is with them, difference is Africans don't focus on that, we focus on internal goals, that's the difference. I was just reading a thread about criticism cacs had about the movie Luke Cage and Birth of a Nation, but who gives a fukk what they think? The movie is already created and generating money, who fukking cares what they think? I don't understand why one needs to highlight what cacs think, that part is confusing to me.

Again was just curious because you are very familer with Western materials especially with Kratos as your avi. Anyways interesting.

And agreed I don't care what butthurt white peoples opinions are on Luke Cage. I just laugh at them.

ChatGPT-5

Superstar
Daps
Again was just curious because you are very familer with Western materials especially with Kratos as your avi. Anyways interesting.

And agreed I don't care what butthurt white peoples opinions are on Luke Cage. I just laugh at them.
God of War is one of the greatest video games of all time. You don't think so? Video games exist on the continent it's not as backwards as your media leads you to believe. People have macs, there's even an apple store in Botswana, the internet has connected the world to the point where one must only type a few words to get a live feed of your general election debate within minutes. :dwillhuh:

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)

This chick is not only sexy(though a bit skinny) but very intelligent and I didn't even finish the video.:ehh:

She essentially gave a very good argument for those who say "blacks can't be racist", she not only used graphs and stats to support her argument but what caught me was when she said whites have more political/financial influence and are the ones behind the desk making the rules. And so a black/Latino on white racism is not as oppressive as a black/Latino on white racism.

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
God of War is one of the greatest video games of all time. You don't think so? Video games exist on the continent it's not as backwards as your media leads you to believe. People have macs, there's even an apple store in Botswana, the internet has connected the world to the point where one must only type a few words to get a live feed of your general election debate within minutes. :dwillhuh:

Aye... I never said that. I have a sibling in Africa and she uses the internet all the time and said in Ghana and Kenya they have many western style shops. I always knew Africa had many modern things just look at the city of Lagos. Was just using Kratos as an example with you being very families with western culture. Also backwardsness=/=not in sphere of western influence.

ChatGPT-5

Superstar
Daps
Aye... I never said that. I have a sibling in Africa and she uses the internet all the time and said in Ghana and Kenya they have many western style shops. I always knew Africa had many modern things just look at the city of Lagos. Was just using Kratos as an example with you being very families with western culture. Also backwardsness=/=not in sphere of western influence.
I wouldn't really call video games a western culture since it stems from Japan. My system is japanese the devs of the game are western but the act of playing video games is eastern. But I get what you're saying, yes I am familiar with video games.

The voice of Kratos is a black man, and I like the rage he produces.

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
I wouldn't really call video games a western culture since it stems from Japan.
Good point.

My system is japanese the devs of the game are western but the act of playing video games is eastern. But I get what you're saying, yes I am familiar with video games.

The voice of Kratos is a black man, and I like the rage he produces.

Sucks that that same black man is not voice acting Kratos in the new game.:francis:

Do you still game? If so how much are the cost of PS4s and Xbox Ones in Rwanda? Because my friend who is Honduran and lived in Ecuador said the prices for consoles were :mindblown: