African Americans who can pass as West Africans.

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
IMO These West African Fulanis could easily be mistaken for AA's in America if they were to dress more Western.
64532_197879343686583_1376840182_n-1.jpg

A lot of Upper West Africans from the Sahel appear to resemble AA's to an extent. Not only that but AA culture appears to have roots from cultures from the Sahel like from Mali or Senegambia.

Oceanicpuppy

Superstar
Daps
oh, now I got it.

I agree, I can definitely tell the difference between most AAs and West African. But you can also put most AA in certain West African countries and they wouldn't get a second look because they would fit into certain tribes. Only ones that wouldn't fit in any part of West Africa are the real light skin bi racial ones that sometimes look Habesha, like the Mowry twins.
There are light skin WA too. lol
From Ghana
Kevin+Prince+Boateng+AC+Milan+v+Zenit+St+Petersburg+EatREEf5HDZl.jpg

But In Mowry twins case they look slightly Habesha, they look like a very watered down one to me.

Oceanicpuppy

Superstar
Daps
IMO These West African Fulanis could easily be mistaken for AA's in America if they were to dress more Western.

A lot of Upper West Africans from the Sahel appear to resemble AA's to an extent. Not only that but AA culture appears to have roots from cultures from the Sahel like from Mali or Senegambia.
Yeah many of the were take from Senegambia and Fulani were taken as well but The girls don't look AA to me the little boys do though.

I hear many fula were taken too but igbo/ mende /edo /jola/wolof(some)/ Mandingo seem to over power in the AA.
I hear it depends on where your family in America is from too.
Louisiana/Mississippi got some Caribbean slaves and different groups.
and Virginia got different groups etc They said the English slave holders were picker than the Spanish/ Portuguese ones who got many from Angola.
Its a messy thing when you start looking at the mixes...

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
Yeah many of the were take from Senegambia and Fulani were taken as well but The girls don't look AA to me the little boys do though.

I hear many fula were taken too but igbo/ mende /edo /jola/wolof(some)/ Mandingo seem to over power in the AA.
I hear it depends on where your family in America is from too.
Louisiana/Mississippi got some Caribbean slaves and different groups.
and Virginia got different groups etc They said the English slave holders were picker than the Spanish/ Portuguese ones who got many from Angola.
Its a messy thing when you start looking at the mixes...

Note that the Mandingos and Wolof are Senegambia/Upper West Africa.

And yeah it depends on which region/family in America.

Also the girl in the white looks AA imo. Especially if she were to dress more westernized.

Oceanicpuppy

Superstar
Daps
Q- tip was found to be related to the Jola of Guinea Bassiu

Jola(diola) People
p11568.jpg

jolaDaughter.jpg

Diola-1902.jpg

Bouba%20Diedhiou,%20Casamance,%20Senegal,%20web%20photo.jpg

Do you guys think DNA Test is matched with his phenotype or features?
Or do they not correlate?

I think he looks a little Diola.

Oceanicpuppy

Superstar
Daps
Note that the Mandingos and Wolof are Senegambia/Upper West Africa.

And yeah it depends on which region/family in America.

Also the girl in the white looks AA imo. Especially if she were to dress more westernized.
Where would place Kevin Garnett?

i

nba_ap_garnett_268x325.jpg

Oceanicpuppy

Superstar
Daps

Plus looking at AA's on average in my experience many do not resemble Fulani's.

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
The only time I was fooled was this1 Igbo girl who went to my HS :noah:and a few other Nigerians.

Oceanicpuppy

Superstar
Daps
Face Averages.

South-African.jpg

Average of Multi Ethnic Africans
african_female.jpg
african_male.jpg

Average WA from Senegal to Angola
westafricanmale.jpg

average-west-africanfemale.jpg

chadcameroon.jpg

article-2435688-1853EA0D00000578-854_634x453.jpg

African American pictures from a study
JMJ-8-2-13-Mr-A-Mr-B-labeled.png

Superstar
Daps
i'm aware africa is very diverse, but that doesn't cancel out the fact that certain looks are associated with it. AA do not embrace the looks associated with west africa and usually try to breed those features out (skin, nose, hair). in fact, the group of aa you showed in a photo most likely got made fun of growing up for "looking african."

ethnic mixes, admixture + breeding out can equal its own ethnically ambiguous look (not racial). there are many who i think could pass as west african, but i expose myself to african media & people more than the average aa.

but honestly with bleaching & some of the things i see it seems more like some west africans want to pass as AA or other blacks from the americas. i've got stories
:mjcry:

i'm not sure if these threads are to give AA their african wake up call :mjlol:but you are not going to convince them they can pass as african

Oceanicpuppy

Superstar
Daps
i'm aware africa is very diverse, but that doesn't cancel out the fact that certain looks are associated with it. AA do not embrace the looks associated with west africa and usually try to breed those features out (skin, nose, hair). in fact, the group of aa you showed in a photo most likely got made fun of growing up for "looking african."

ethnic mixes, admixture + breeding out can equal its own ethnically ambiguous look (not racial). there are many who i think could pass as west african, but i expose myself to african media & people more than the average aa.

but honestly with bleaching & some of the things i see it seems more like some west africans want to pass as AA or other blacks from the americas. i've got stories
:mjcry:

i'm not sure if these threads are to give AA their african wake up call :mjlol:but you are not going to convince them they can pass as african
Hell, tell us some stories.

Naw, growing up (at least in my experience) there was always a distinction between AA and African in looks.
AA's alway looked like water down Africans, a mixture of Africans, a bootlegged/pseudo African or African with a twist. Never quite looking like the real deal most of time.