African Americans created a pillar of videogame music: Techno

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
So Europeans...who invented most of the string instruments, horn instruments, and keyboard instruments(like piano) didn't invent any kind of music?
They have a canon of instruments but you're not very well versed in world
music if you think the string/horn/percussion instruments from europe are the only
ones in existence.

what kinda bothers me when discussing musical origins with people(of all races) is that every individual race wants to make their claim to what they created.
Why would that bother you ?
Indian Classical Music, Japanese Traditional Music, Chinese traditional music etc.
all exist and are all attributed to the people they come from, laying claim to them is only natural
to deny who it came from is well..pointless.

However, (especially with American music) the fact that blacks being such a small percentage of the population were able to have such a HUGE contribution to all types of music is quite an amazing feat in itself.

I think you are misinformed on a lot of the music types you mentioned above...but considering this is the Coli.. I'll let you cook.

It's a great thing and a terrible thing at the same time because with time the general public's memory gets fuzzy.
Now you've got people who hear House/Techno and don't realize it's urban origins nor do they know of the beef
Funk and R&B musicians had with Disco and how it took so heavily from Funk/Soul music outside of the new beat.
Soul/Funk/Disco would go on to heavily influence House/Techno/Electro/Hip-Hop but you'll get some dork head banging
to dub-step talking about "R&B suxxxxx!"

A perfect example is contemporary pop music and trap, copying how 808's and hi-hats are used and changing
the subject matter.

WaveCapsByOscorp™

2021 Grammy Award Winner
Daps
i'd say i'm highly influenced by music from video games. it's crazy to think generations of people will be reminded of games they played simply by hearing the sounds again. i know they activate a memory within me.

videogamestashbox.com

Hotep
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
When I win I bring we with me
They have a canon of instruments but you're not very well versed in world
music if you think the string/horn/percussion instruments from europe are the only
ones in existence.

Indian Classical Music, Japanese Traditional Music, Chinese traditional music etc.
all exist and are all attributed to the people they come from, laying claim to them is only natural

It's a great thing and a terrible thing at the same time because with time the general public's memory gets fuzzy.
Now you've got people who hear House/Techno and don't realize it's urban origins nor do they know of the beef
Funk and R&B musicians had with Disco and how it took so heavily from Funk/Soul music outside of the new beat.
Soul/Funk/Disco would go on to heavily influence House/Techno/Electro/Hip-Hop but you'll get some dork head banging
to dub-step talking about "R&B suxxxxx!"

A perfect example is contemporary pop music and trap, copying how 808's and hi-hats are used and changing
the subject matter.

Damn bruh :leon: you stuck yo foot all the way in it :ehh:

videogamestashbox.com

Hotep
Supporter
Daps
Reppin

This kills me as well, I have no prob daping the wright brothers for aeroplanes :steviej:
....now :whoo:
let me throw praise at lewis latimer for the carbon filament to make light bulbs practical then I get all kinds of :whoa:

:martin:"Cacs"

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
So Europeans...who invented most of the string instruments, horn instruments, and keyboard instruments(like piano) didn't invent any kind of music?

what kinda bothers me when discussing musical origins with people(of all races) is that every individual race wants to make their claim to what they created.

In reality most of the music that you have mentioned was created through some type of hybrid evolution from all types of music.

However, (especially with American music) the fact that blacks being such a small percentage of the population were able to have such a HUGE contribution to all types of music is quite an amazing feat in itself.

I think you are misinformed on a lot of the music types you mentioned above...but considering this is the Coli.. I'll let you cook.

Etienne Lenoir invented the internal combustion engine....he DID NOT...invent the automobile. :sas2:

videogamestashbox.com

Hotep
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Etienne Lenoir invented the internal combustion engine....he DID NOT...invent the automobile. :sas2:

And the idea of an engine of any kind came from Egypt :jbhmm: ...out of the library of Alexandra complex of scholars & knowledge :whoo:
It was knowledge of what combustion could do via (water -> steam) that laid the foundation for what (petrol -> combustion) could be applied to. Once you have the basic idea it's a hop, skip, & jump to it's general application.

Last edited:

videogamestashbox.com

Hotep
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
@Sagat :ufdup:Figured you might appreciate this thread I made a while back:ehh:
Sisenote: I have that Dub Soul Mix 9-22-09 on repeat along with all tha tracks after it on ya soundcloud. It's some good chill and think music :datazz:

Edit: @KidStranglehold @MansaMusa yall might appreciate some of the historical info in this thread also.

Last edited:

videogamestashbox.com

Hotep
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
I know I already did one of these based off of doom:jbhmm: but the following clips are an even better example of what I mean when I say "chip tune" is distinct from techno.:yeshrug::ehh:

Because "chip tune" simply takes pre existing genres and trys to simulate them via synthetic instruments...

...where as techno took those synthetics and made music informed by, but distinct from, pre existing forms.​

Some folks think damn near anything(admitted stretch on my part btw) done via a beat machine is techno.:francis:

videogamestashbox.com

Hotep
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
This is going to be a fun post for me..... :whoo:

I see at la least 3 pillars of videogame music.
  • Orchestral
  • "Chip tune"
  • Techno
Orchestral - This would be your standard fare RPG, Adventure game, music. Typically very similar to a movie score. A popular version would be something like "one winged angel"

Example: "One winged angel"

"Chip tune" -
Music made for/on a sound board native to the videogame systems hardware. Think 8-bit 16-bit music. It's easy to call this a genre of techno but I wouldn't go that far. This tends to feel like whatever type of music you'd here out in the world, especially movies and tv shows but filtered through the stock sounds available on whatever board used. (I borrowed this term because I had no other means of describing it.)

Example: "One winged angel" originally was Orchestral music rendered through synthetic instruments

Techno - Music generated from a sound board without a preceding filtered genre wholly present. While the dance variant is essentially "electric disco music" (very loose definition)

Historical Context:
Just as blues & rock eventually went "electric" in there instrumentation so did R&B, funk, punk, new wave, pop, metal and even jazz(heralded by people such as Miles Davis & Herbie Hancock). By the 70's -80's Damn near everything was "synthetic music" or had some combination

GTA vice city actually had a joke about this on their radio station

So What's the Key difference between techno and everything else?

The key difference between techno and other genres of music is that while others essentially took whatever genre they were currently in and played the same music but with electric instruments; techno simply started with electric instruments and a love of music then just started experimenting, eventually making their own sound.

To be clear elements from prior genres made there way into Techno music.(we all have influences) but Techno isn't comprised wholly or mostly of any specific prior genre as other "synthetic music" being made at the time.

:whew: