About to finish Sekiro, should I play Dark Souls or Elden Ring?

Draje

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Honestly, I’d start from the beginning of the DS remake.

Demon Souls
Dark Souls 1
Bloodborne
Dark Souls 3
Elden Ring

*Dark Souls 2 gets a lot of hate, because it’s different, but I actually think it’s pretty great. It’s a flawed game and the weakest of all the games but it’s still better than 95% of the Souls-likes out there.

I can tell you that Elden Ring is a spiritual successor to DS2 more than the others.

But it truly depends on what you liked about Sekiro. I think all the games have clear strengths over them with Bloodborne being a GOAT game.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Honestly, I’d start from the beginning of the DS remake.

Demon Souls
Dark Souls 1
Bloodborne
Dark Souls 3
Elden Ring

*Dark Souls 2 gets a lot of hate, because it’s different, but I actually think it’s pretty great. It’s a flawed game and the weakest of all the games but it’s still better than 95% of the Souls-likes out there.

I can tell you that Elden Ring is a spiritual successor to DS2 more than the others.

But it truly depends on what you liked about Sekiro. I think all the games have clear strengths over them with Bloodborne being a GOAT game.

Demon’s Souls makes it weird, its mechanically the lesser of the series but graphically far superior. So its like do you start with the clunkier gameplay or end with the best looking?

If I play demons souls first its gonna be rough to go back to dark souls 1. But after experiencing the likes of Bloodborne and DS3 its Demons Souls is gonna feel wack, especially with the lack of bonfires and shortcuts.

I started with bloodborne, went to DS3, then DS1, DS2, DSR

Draje

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Demon’s Souls makes it weird, its mechanically the lesser of the series but graphically far superior. So its like do you start with the clunkier gameplay or end with the best looking?

If I play demons souls first its gonna be rough to go back to dark souls 1. But after experiencing the likes of Bloodborne and DS3 its Demons Souls is gonna feel wack, especially with the lack of bonfires and shortcuts.

I started with bloodborne, went to DS3, then DS1, DS2, DSR

Demon Souls is the weakest in mechanics and is the most experimental but I think the level design/world design are top notch with the enemy placement being fantastic too. The actual levels themselves are the challenge, more than the bosses. The gameplay is “clunkier” but it has the enemy placement to make the most of it.

I think Demon Souls does a great job of making you feel so small and human but the most like a tragic hero, fighting against an unstoppable force.

I can never tell someone to play DS3 before DS1. So many moments just don’t matter or hit the same without DS setting up. The Nameless King, Final Boss, multiple locations, etc.

If you don’t play DS1, you won’t even get why DS3 is doing or the themes of “ending the cycle” really deal with.

If you’re talking about pure, mechanical goodness in terms of gameplay then it’s Bloodborne then DS3.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Demon Souls is the weakest in mechanics and is the most experimental but I think the level design/world design are top notch with the enemy placement being fantastic too. The actual levels themselves are the challenge, more than the bosses. The gameplay is “clunkier” but it has the enemy placement to make the most of it.

I think Demon Souls does a great job of making you feel so small and human but the most like a tragic hero, fighting against an unstoppable force.

I can never tell someone to play DS3 before DS1. So many moments just don’t matter or hit the same without DS setting up. The Nameless King, Final Boss, multiple locations, etc.

If you don’t play DS1, you won’t even get why DS3 is doing or the themes of “ending the cycle” really deal with.

If you’re talking about pure, mechanical goodness in terms of gameplay then it’s Bloodborne then DS3.

Mostly agree but god damn fukk the swamp of sorrow :pacspit:

Its far worse than any other area in any other Fromsoft game I’ve played. Even worse than blight town

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Elden ring is the best out of all of them, so i’d say play that last if you plan on playing through the series of games.

DS 1-3 are very much worth your time tho

Demons souls, not so much unless you just want to see the pretty graphics.

Bloodborne is cool but it’s stuck at 30fps with shytty framepacing:scust: will be hard to go back after feeling how smooth the other games are

Last edited:

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
If Dark Souls, which one?
Do you plan on playing all of them?

Personally, I've only played DS, DS3, and ER.

I liked them all but imo Elden Ring is by far the best one.

So there is an argument that if you start with that one (ER), you may be less enraptured by the lesser volumes.

However, if you don't care about that and just want the best experience upfront... you can spend over 100 to 150+ hours on Elden Ring easily.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
0402013b261d7465a844c2c9a951a6e56bb8d668.gifv

CM_Burns

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Bloodborne. If you play Elden Ring you wont want to play anything DS for a while