A24 got another one. Sterling K. Brown getting the oscar? "Waves" official trailer

phillycavsfan

WAHOOWA
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philadelphia
There was a great movie in this hidden somewhere with the great performances and incredible soundtrack, but it gets drowned out by the bad pacing and plot contrivances. Just by the look of the movie, this should've been a slow burn like Moonlight.

It's not a bad movie, but it should've been better. And I actually thought the second half was better than the first. The scene with SKB and Russell sitting by the water was the best in the movie. The problem with the first half is that you can see where everything is going while the 2nd half has its surprises here and there.

Last edited:

phillycavsfan

WAHOOWA
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philadelphia
Saw this yesterday.

Was very impressed, been a while since I've seen a movie where you can feel a lurching sense of doom gathering.

Very, very Malick some beautiful moments. I love how peaceful the second half of the film is.

If it had the pacing of a typical Malick movie it'd be great, but director tried to throw too much plot in.

Saw this yesterday

Dope movie - pretty much split in two

Cinematography was on point

Soundtrack is perfect

Loved this movie, pretty shocked the Coli ain't got love for it

:mjcry:

Only music choice that didn't work was the Kendrick song. I love Backseat Freestyle, but if there's any music Tyler's gotta be yelling in that scene it's trap or since it's Florida some Denzel Curry.

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Saw this last night as well. I thought it was incredible outside of the subplot with the boyfriend in the second half. I’d much rather they have focused completely on the family and how they coped with everything

This movie really got snubbed something serious at the Oscars. How it didn’t at the very least get a cinematography nod was mind boggling to me

Jblaze204

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Uptown NY
Great film A1 cinematography and acting by the whole cast. I felt the first half of this movie. It felt authentic. This was better than moonlight in my opinion. If buddy was gay it would have probably gotten nominated but whatever, awards dont make a movie worthy or not.

8 out of 10

It's also crazy how dude had a stable family and home and he still turned out bytchh made :stopitslime:

phillycavsfan

WAHOOWA
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philadelphia
Great film A1 cinematography and acting by the whole cast. I felt the first half of this movie. It felt authentic. This was better than moonlight in my opinion. If buddy was gay it would have probably gotten nominated but whatever, awards dont make a movie worthy or not.

8 out of 10

It's also crazy how dude had a stable family and home and he still turned out bytchh made :stopitslime:

If he turned out to be gay he'd just be a carbon copy of the psycho white kid from Euphoria.

I watched Luce tonight, and that's another movie that fails to give Harrison the kinda movie his great performance deserves. He's playing another high school student, but it's a completely different character and he nails it.

Jblaze204

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Uptown NY
If he turned out to be gay he'd just be a carbon copy of the psycho white kid from Euphoria.

I watched Luce tonight, and that's another movie that fails to give Harrison the kinda movie his great performance deserves. He's playing another high school student, but it's a completely different character and he nails it.

That's true. I'll check out Luce. I like Harrison and naomi watts.

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
This finally got released in theaters here after the lockdown.

Really good movie, it definitely is two stories in one, albeit both playing into the same theme. It felt very much like the Fearful Symmetry chapter of Watchmen the way the second half built down from what the first part built up to (and mirrored some moments, like the fishing scene with the father talking to Emily being a stark contrast to the scene of him talking to Tyler in his room). Also embolded by the usage of different aspect ratios which also mirror the two halves.

Wish they used a different actor than Lucas Hedges though, can't stand his generic ass but it is what it is. Rest of the cast was excellent and the gorgeous cinematography and music really made it an amazing experience.

SuburbanPimp

Giving game to lames since the 90s
Daps
Reppin
In Dallas, From Cleveland
Very good movie, enjoyed it. 2nd half could have focused a lil more on the family strife more than the relationship the daughter was in but it wasn't a deal breaker... The conversation towards the end with the daughter and father was some real shyt. One of the better movies to drop this year

Ahadi

Veteran
Daps
The significance of the bike..

The ending scene...The journey to her becoming her own woman.

:wow: