A turn based Marvel X-Com game is coming out *confirmed*

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
I remember the x com creator saying he was highly inspired by Mario rabbids and that he would be incorporating a lot of the same traversal mechanics (sliding, jumping, teleportation via pipes) into his next game

Weird because a good amount of traversal was available in XCOM 2 already. Rabbids didn't innovate at all in that respect IMO.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
323.jpg_large

:wow:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Weird because a good amount of traversal was available in XCOM 2 already. Rabbids didn't innovate at all in that respect IMO.

This is what he said:

“What a joy, then, to have another team come along and upend your thinking, showing you that there is always room to improve on old concepts. For example, in XCOM, moving a soldier is typically a simple case of running them from cover A to cover B. That’s how it’s always been, and it’s not something I ever thought of changing. Until I played Mario + Rabbids, that is, where movement is a chain of interesting decisions like springboarding off of your squadmates, sliding through your enemies, rolling through warp tunnels — all before you fire a single shot. Movement in Kingdom Battleadds a whole new layer of tactical interest to every turn. It jolted me into reconsidering one of XCOM’s design principles.”

Mario + Rabbids inspired the creative director of XCOM to reevaluate the genre

And he’s right. The “momentum” mechanic that fuels Mario + Rabbids movement is an entirely new system. The way you can kill entire enemies without shooting and still continue warping and jumping around is def unique to their game.

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
This is what he said:

“What a joy, then, to have another team come along and upend your thinking, showing you that there is always room to improve on old concepts. For example, in XCOM, moving a soldier is typically a simple case of running them from cover A to cover B. That’s how it’s always been, and it’s not something I ever thought of changing. Until I played Mario + Rabbids, that is, where movement is a chain of interesting decisions like springboarding off of your squadmates, sliding through your enemies, rolling through warp tunnels — all before you fire a single shot. Movement in Kingdom Battleadds a whole new layer of tactical interest to every turn. It jolted me into reconsidering one of XCOM’s design principles.”

Mario + Rabbids inspired the creative director of XCOM to reevaluate the genre

And he’s right. The “momentum” mechanic that fuels Mario + Rabbids movement is an entirely new system. The way you can kill entire enemies without shooting and still continue warping and jumping around is def unique to their game.

Weird, I don't really see any of it as something "new", I suppose, outside of the springboard. XCOM 2 allows you to do a lot of traversal but within reason and within the confines of the AP system. Plus XCOM has grappling hooks, jetpacks, and teleportation also.

Rabbids to me suffered strategy wise to me because of the fact that no one is truly in defensive position since youre basically always in range to slide and hit someone.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Weird, I don't really see any of it as something "new", I suppose, outside of the springboard. XCOM 2 allows you to do a lot of traversal but within reason and within the confines of the AP system. Plus XCOM has grappling hooks, jetpacks, and teleportation also.

Rabbids to me suffered strategy wise to me because of the fact that no one is truly in defensive position since youre basically always in range to slide and hit someone.

It was just a different type of strategy. It was more of a puzzle, very fun game.

I love x-com but mario rabbids def took it and made it their own thing. It’s the only thing i really give Ubisoft credit for in recent years

TBdaGhost

Bay Bay
Daps
I don't even fukk with super heroes but I might check this out. It's a dope concept.