A King and an Empire: The Official GOAT franchise Boss Angeles Lakers 2018-19 season

Reid2Achieve

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
What about

LeBron and The Brow
A center for around $25 million like DAJ, Cousins, or Gasol.
A 3-and-D for around $9 million like Danny Green, Aminu, or Ariza
Plus Bonga, Svi, and Zubac
Plus some vets who want to compete, you can grab one for the midlevel exemption, one for the every-other-year exemption, and try to get a couple others to sign for the minimum (another PG of Beverly, Barea, or Rivers, big man depth with Gortat, Ed Davis, or Robin Lopez, and a couple swingmen out of Carroll, Dudley, Nick Young, Gerald Green, Thabo, or Jeff Green)

You really gonna claim that a team built from that can't compete for a ring? AD and LeBron are the first and second options, the rest of that mix gives you plenty of defense and shooting to round out the team.

Which part of that do you think couldn't work?

Like I said, I'm not saying that's the "preferable" option. Maybe Zo, BI, and Kuz are developing fast enough that you don't want to get rid of them. I'm just pointing out that LeBron + AD + $33 million or so in cap space is enough of a core to build a contender with even if you don't get Kawhi/KD/Butler/Middleton/Klay with that $33 mil.

An AD/Bron and vets team can “contend” for a 1-2 year window. I’m not convinced it’s much more than a marginal improvement over what we have now. AD is a stat stuffer for sure, but his impact is limited because you have to playmake for him. We would need more dynamic ball handlers. What you’re suggesting is basically a rich man’s 2018 Cavs because they would depend on Lebron to do all the playmaking.

Ideally, I'd actually want to keep Ball if they traded for Brow. They already have Holiday anyway. Green, Beverley, Ariza and Aminu are all capable perimeter defenders though. And again, if they had LeBron and Brow, I think vets would go to LA for less just for a chance to win a title. That's usually how it works.

I said before the season that I think GS is more vulnerable than people think this season. Beyond that two headed monster of Curry and Durant, they're really thin and if Houston could push them to the brink with Harden and Paul, why couldn't Bron and Brow do the same or better?
If we can at least keep Lonzo (and/or Kuz/Ingram) I can be talked in to this. Otherwise, refer to the response above. But my objection is trading all of them.

As for your point on Houston/GS, last year was almost a perfect storm for Houston... and they still lost. I’m actually glad you brought them up. You’re almost making my point for me. They sold their souls and relied on two stars to carry them and hold up all year. One of them was injury prone and what do ya know? He got injured. AD gets hurt a lot and Lebron is getting old... things can get ugly really quick. Look at how fast life came for the Rockets :merchant:

Voice of Reason

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
What about

LeBron and The Brow
A center for around $25 million like DAJ, Cousins, or Gasol.
A 3-and-D for around $9 million like Danny Green, Aminu, or Ariza
Plus Bonga, Svi, and Zubac
Plus some vets who want to compete, you can grab one for the midlevel exemption, one for the every-other-year exemption, and try to get a couple others to sign for the minimum (another PG of Beverly, Barea, or Rivers, big man depth with Gortat, Ed Davis, or Robin Lopez, and a couple swingmen out of Carroll, Dudley, Nick Young, Gerald Green, Thabo, or Jeff Green)

You really gonna claim that a team built from that can't compete for a ring? AD and LeBron are the first and second options, the rest of that mix gives you plenty of defense and shooting to round out the team.

Which part of that do you think couldn't work?

Like I said, I'm not saying that's the "preferable" option. Maybe Zo, BI, and Kuz are developing fast enough that you don't want to get rid of them. I'm just pointing out that LeBron + AD + $33 million or so in cap space is enough of a core to build a contender with even if you don't get Kawhi/KD/Butler/Middleton/Klay with that $33 mil.

Or if Boogie returns to normal by next season sign him and keep the young core and maybe trade for a real shooting guard.

Zo
Beal
Bron
Kuz
Boogie
:yeshrug:

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
Ideally, I'd actually want to keep Ball if they traded for Brow. They already have Holiday anyway. Green, Beverley, Ariza and Aminu are all capable perimeter defenders though. And again, if they had LeBron and Brow, I think vets would go to LA for less just for a chance to win a title. That's usually how it works.

I said before the season that I think GS is more vulnerable than people think this season. Beyond that two headed monster of Curry and Durant, they're really thin and if Houston could push them to the brink with Harden and Paul, why couldn't Bron and Brow do the same or better?
Basically turn this shyt into the Cavs all over again....

2Quik4UHoes

Why you had to go?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast groovin…
Brehs, I finally tried that damn BodyArmor that Kobe been pushing. Aside from an actual coconut in Jamaica, this the best coconut water I ever had and I hate coconut water. Cop y’all a bottle for the post gym hydration. Give thanks to the one shooting gawd for making nasty ass coconut water as good as wine. :ohlawd:

Last edited:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether

The issue with keeping Ball is that he's $9 million of cap space. If you trade for AD without trading Ball, I think you're down to $20-25 million in cap space for next summer. But include Ball in the trade and you can still stay over $30 million.

An AD/Bron and vets team can “contend” for a 1-2 year window. I’m not convinced it’s much more than a marginal improvement over what we have now. AD is a stat stuffer for sure, but his impact is limited because you have to playmake for him. We would need more dynamic ball handlers. What you’re suggesting is basically a rich man’s 2018 Cavs because they would depend on Lebron to do all the playmaking.
The 2018 Cavs were in the Finals and one missed free throw away from being up 1-0 on the "good" Warriors. With the Warriors likely to take a step back, a rich man's 2018 Cavs could easily win a title.

And it would be a very rich man's Cavs, not just because AD would be way better than Love on both ends, but whoever the Lakers got with the rest of their cap space would probably be better than anyone on that Cavs team too.

Reid2Achieve

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
The issue with keeping Ball is that he's $9 million of cap space. If you trade for AD without trading Ball, I think you're down to $20-25 million in cap space for next summer. But include Ball in the trade and you can still stay over $30 million.

The 2018 Cavs were in the Finals and one missed free throw away from being up 1-0 on the "good" Warriors. With the Warriors likely to take a step back, a rich man's 2018 Cavs could easily win a title.

And it would be a very rich man's Cavs, not just because AD would be way better than Love on both ends, but whoever the Lakers got with the rest of their cap space would probably be better than anyone on that Cavs team too.
It seems like we are just arguing in circles at this point. I agree to disagree.

cobra

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Stop leaving out the fact it was in the East and Boston didn't have their 2 best players. It's not the same in the West going up against a healthy Warriors squad in the WCFs after having to battle it out with the likes of OKC, Denver, etc in the previous rounds.
celtics were better last year than this year

other than gsw, this laker team can beat anyone in the west in a 7 game series if kuz or ingram can be a solid no 2 and average 20 points

10bandz

RIP to the GOAT
Supporter
Daps
celtics were better last year than this year

other than gsw, this laker team can beat anyone in the west in a 7 game series if kuz or ingram can be a solid no 2 and average 20 points

So the celtics are better without Kyrie? Aight bro :camby:

and if you believe we can beat any team besides GSW in a 7 games series, why would it make sense to trade all 4 young guys for AD now like your fellow stans are suggesting instead of waiting for AD to force NO's hand and give us more leverage :wtf:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps

yes they were last year because they were more unpredictable

and if you believe we can beat any team besides GSW in a 7 games series, why would it make sense to trade all 4 young guys for AD now like your fellow stans are suggesting instead of waiting for AD to force NO's hand and give us more leverage :wtf:

even if AD tried to force NO's hand, they would make sure they wouldn't trade him to the Lakers just like Pop/Spurs did with Kawhi.

10bandz

RIP to the GOAT
Supporter
Daps
yes they were last year because they were more unpredictable

oh ok so if Kyrie played not only would the Cavs have still won, they would've wrapped it up in 4 or 5 games right :dead:

even if AD tried to force NO's hand, they would make sure they wouldn't trade him to the Lakers just like Pop/Spurs did with Kawhi.

so the solution to that is to desperately offer them all 4 young guys :mjlol: and what if AD tells Celtics he wont resign and Rich/AD tell NO they only waive the trade kicker if he's traded to LAL?

cobra

Superstar
Supporter
Daps

because only with AD can we beat gsw, and winning a title is the only goal of the bron experiment
and it would be dangerous to let AD take a PR hit like that
you don't want AD think that the lakers care more about highkey role players like lonzo/ingram than him

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
oh ok so if Kyrie played not only would the Cavs have still won, they would've wrapped it up in 4 or 5 games right :dead:

yes....IMO, the cavs would have had an easier time with celtics had Kyrie played because his iso ball and bad defense would have played right into the cavs game plan against/for him

so the solution to that is to desperately offer them all 4 young guys :mjlol: and what if AD tells Celtics he wont resign and Rich/AD tell NO they only waive the trade kicker if he's traded to LAL?

the thing is, I don't see AD doing that if he actually got traded their in a lineup with both kyrie and tatum along side him.

McPiff

#goat
Daps
Y'all nikkas need to leave the young core of the lakers alone.
They probably wont win a ship this season, let them grow, get used to play with each other and then try to acquire good players during the offseason

Last edited: