80s babies can we even explain what 'Earnest' was and why he was something in pop culture to gen z and beyond??

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
This dude was everywhere...and had one schtick...a backwoods hillibilly with a friend named Vern we never saw, and he said 'knowwhatimean?'

he had a fukkin SPRITE SPONSORSHIP on some Michael Jordan shyt

fast forwad to 15 minutes or so...he's doing commericals for FINANCIAL SOFTWARE

I guess he was like...WHITE MADEA...but i didn't even get it then

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
:mjlol: I haven't thought about this dude or those movies in years. I remember seeing 'Earnest Goes to Jail' a few times but when I was a kid one of my go-to Halloween movies was 'Earnest Scared Stupid' ... It used to be creepy

Of course I was young as hell, it's probably dumb as shyt if I were to revisit it

MajesticLion

Superstar
Daps
Been a trope from Gomer Pyle all the way through Dewey Crowe and beyond :manny:

Different impact now. Half the country took it to heart that they should live up to that trope AND be in politics/culture wars.

duck

Bills Mafia
Daps
Reppin
buffalo ny
I remember dude was a markiting genius. Back in the days before there was a cartoon network or disney or whatever, saturday morning cartoons were the shyt. He used to alway have his commercial then started off like "hey vern" nobody to today knows who the fukk vern is. But he still gathered enough attention to sell some tickets to dumb ass movies

Last edited:

Tommy Gibbs

All Star
Daps
Same lane as Peewee Herman and early Jim Carrey. They were real life cartoon characters.

I watched Ernest Scared Stupid with my nephew recently and it holds up :ehh:
I loved Ernest goes to camp. He was so good as Ernest, that when he wasn't playing that character, I had no idea it was him. When the Beverly HIllbillies movie came out in the early 90s, I used to love that film. It took me 3 watches before I realized it was Jim Varney as Jed Clampett haha

CarolinaKing

The Carolina Blueprint
Daps
Reppin
NC
I remember these movies but not really. I know I thought that shyt was funny though. There was one where he was hoopin, absolutely ridiculous :russ:

I saw them on some streaming service, don’t remember which, and thought about showing one to my kids but i can already see them being like wtf is this :dahell::camby: