80s babies can we even explain what 'Earnest' was and why he was something in pop culture to gen z and beyond??

WaveCapsByOscorp™

2021 Grammy Award Winner
Daps
It was just family friendly television with slap stick type humor.

80s had a lot of family oriented movies or was seeing a rising market in making films for kids.

My favorites were Ernest Goes to Camp and Ernest Goes to Jail. Ernest Scared Stupid get honorable mention

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
Same lane as Peewee Herman and early Jim Carrey. They were real life cartoon characters.

I watched Ernest Scared Stupid with my nephew recently and it holds up :ehh:
Pee wee was a much much better character but I see what you mean

Pee wee's big adventure is legit a 5 star classic

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
I remember dude was a markiting genius. Back in the days before there was a cartoon network or disney or whatever, saturday morning cartoons were the shyt. He used to alway have his commercial then started off like "hey vern" nobody to today knows who the fukk vern is. But he still gathered enough attention to sell some tickets to dumb ass movies
dude was PROLIFIC with the ads...all ads talking to Vern...who didn't even exist...insane

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!
Crazy shyt is kids who have no idea who Ernest is would know Slinky Dog from Toy Story. Dude prolly made a grip off those movies.
Don't know how much HE made, but thanks to being in Toy Story movies that he was in have grossed over a Billion:

NYChase718

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I remember these movies but not really. I know I thought that shyt was funny though. There was one where he was hoopin, absolutely ridiculous :russ:

I saw them on some streaming service, don’t remember which, and thought about showing one to my kids but i can already see them being like wtf is this :dahell::camby:
:mjlol:

Slam_Dunk_Ernest.jpg

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
Ernest Scared Stupid is a good movie. He's a living cartoon placed in real situations that become absurd. It's a trope that always works.

Saved Christmas was also good. School was the absolute worst though

WesCrook

Veteran
Daps
Same lane as Peewee Herman and early Jim Carrey. They were real life cartoon characters.

I watched Ernest Scared Stupid with my nephew recently and it holds up :ehh:
Add Crocodile Dundee, though he wasn't as humorous.