538: Trump’s Approval Rating Is Incredibly Steady. Is That Weird Or The New Normal?

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gaithersburg, MD via Queens/LI
Lot of independents and moderates in there... for the most part the moderates have fallen in line but the independents in some crucial states he's been slipping, midterms showed this.. states he won like Michigan ain't looking great if the election was held today.

Of course all this depends on what he does the next year and more importantly who comes out of the Dem primaries
"Lots of independents"...would you like to put a number on that :sas1:

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Exactly. On top of that, his base isn't increasing at all. Those 63 million hardcore supporters for Trump is probably as good as it gets for him. Ever. He couldn't convert a non-voter or a Dem to like him, much less vote for him and his party. Not once did you hear a Dem say "I Hated his guts in 2016, but I like him now in 2020 because he made good policy." :skip: :dead:
To be fair that's more voters than Bush or McCain, and just as much as Romney.

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
So Iowa -10 only amounts to a statistical tie versus most of the Dem candidates. :francis:

Which is encouraging actually. Warren, Booker, Bernie, Kloubachar have been talking anti-trust and infrastructure plans for rural farm states.

We have to be honest. Obama won Iowa twice cause he ran against NAFTA, agribusiness monopolization and the crushing of small farmers. Rural areas have been crushed and nothing was done about it.

Tom Vilsack, (his Secretary of Agriculture) is now a lobbyist for big dairy.

Daps
To be fair that's more voters than Bush or McCain, and just as much as Romney.
Its tough to really gauge 45s support because there's a lot more than just voters liking him that went into him getting elected. Im of the opinion McCain would've washed Hillary, but I have no stats to back that up. I dont think cheeto would've beat Bernie, there was just nothing about Hillary that inspired people. Folks are stupid and fell for pea-brained, loud mouth. I feel like history will repeat if someone like, say Kamala Harris, gets the nominee. I like the policies I hear from Warren, but Id prefer our next president be under 50. That said, Id support a literal monkey over Trump. I bet the monkey would do way less damage to the environment:yeshrug:

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Its tough to really gauge 45s support because there's a lot more than just voters liking him that went into him getting elected. Im of the opinion
:francis: there's nothing to gauge and it doesn't take an opinion. There are voter records that identify these things. X million independents voted for Trump. It's a easy to find number.

Daps
:francis: there's nothing to gauge and it doesn't take an opinion. There are voter records that identify these things. X million independents voted for Trump. It's a easy to find number.
Voting for someone =/= their base. Protest votes, votes for a status quo upheavel, and general dissatisfaction with Hillary contributed more to his election that most news outlets care to aknowledge. He lost the popular vote by millions and has continued to alienate as many groups of people as he can. I dont believe its realistic to think hes retained every person that voted for him. A perfect storm elected Trump, and he will do everything in his power to recreate those conditions. So long as the Dems dont put up another establishment whore, they stand a much better chance than people want to admit

Although a good spinoff thread would be asking TLR posters who voted for him in 2016 if they'll vote for him again:sas2:

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit

Also, a lot of "independents" are really just Republicans.

They may say they're independent if you ask but they vote Republican every election.

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC

Emerson Polling
When Trump is matched up against potential Democratic challengers, all fall within the margin of error, except when President Trump faces Biden or Sanders. (Sample size n=808, +/- 3.4%)

Biden 55%/ Trump 45%

Sanders 55%/ Trump 45%

Warren 52%/ Trump 48%

Harris 51%/ Trump 48%

O’Rourke 51%/ Trump 49%

LyFwM3IIRSGfuMYOiDks

Don Homer

Molto Bene
Supporter
Daps
I predict that he’ll lose the popular vote by 4 million this time and still win the election.

Only Biden could grabs some moderate Republicans over I think.
no one is getting "moderate republicans"

we gotta stop tryna focus on winning these nikkas over

U gotta get ur base locked down, and lock in those left-leaning independents

StatUS

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Everywhere
no one is getting "moderate republicans"

we gotta stop tryna focus on winning these nikkas over

U gotta get ur base locked down, and lock in those left-leaning independents
Dudes will be surprised who comes out of hiding if the Dems can get a good turnout.

ExodusNirvana

Change is inevitable...
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
Dudes will be surprised who comes out of hiding if the Dems can get a good turnout.
Dems ain't turning out unless it's Biden, Bernie or Warren so now what?

I mean it's crystal clear that the others are likeable but not likeable enough to win the WH