mag357

Superstar
Daps
I love the article... Need to go back and run thru it again.

But it's accurate.
I don't think it really is about the music tho.
Rapping is only a small part of the culture that came alil later from the other pillars.

It's about the CULTURE as a whole. The essence that's gets passed down from generations.

That essence got mixed and blended. And is lost

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
What do you hear when you listen to Ice Spice?

I date 22-year-old girls, I'm not a 22-year-old girl.

So if you're not around young women like that, you won't see them visibly react to that type of music.
They are getting something from the music that I don't have the bandwidth for.

And that's okay.

The most vibrant parts of hip hop have always been for young people.

And it is young people that drive the culture.

Men of my era sounding like Rev. Calvin Butts and C. Dolores Tucker.

Those were and still are, our enemies.

Stone

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I love the article... Need to go back and run thru it again.

But it's accurate.
I don't think it really is about the music tho.
Rapping is only a small part of the culture that came alil later from the other pillars.

It's about the CULTURE as a whole. The essence that's gets passed down from generations.

That essence got mixed and blended. And is lost
Basically and ultimately the question is: Where is the new shyt?

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
All I know is it’s slowly on its way out. I can’t see it going another 20 years.

If I had to make a guess will get some Afro/Hispanic mix in the next decade.

Even the name ice spice sounds Hispanic.

The Hip Hop 50th Anniversary concert at Yankee Stadium felt like a "GOODBYE" rather than a celebration of its history. For a lot of legendary MCs, it was their ultimate 'thank you' to the genre before it fades away from the youth-driven genre forever.

2024 and beyond looks bleak for Hip Hop. :francis:

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
I really hate to say it but there's probably not much left in the tank for Hip-Hop as a culture. Whatever we as a people make next, Idk, but it's reaching that point where it needs to fade gracefully.

Mind you I think artists should still make music. But I think it's impact will be lessened.

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
We’re at the end of Hiphop being the dominant cultural force that’s for sure. One thing I’ve wondered for years is what the next wave is.

Typically it would’ve been created by now
the lack of a next wave in america is concerning

other countries are way more innovative rn

boskey

Top Rankin
Daps
I was checking out the reaction to this essay yesterday and it's interesting that some of the "smartest" and otherwise most critical hip hop writers I follow did not like it. It seems most of them don't like the fact that the writer didn't pay enough lip service to all the "great" underground artists and the women rappers that are getting alot of attention.

Like they were totally cool with calling out the old rappers and "capitalism" but they draw the line at saying the new shyt is formulaic and not interesting at all. A lot of these guys are ideologically opposed to the idea that things can get worse over time. Probably cuz they "lean on hip hop for credibility" as the article states. They are very afraid of looking like the nerdy white backpacker that they met in 2002 but haven't seen since...

David Dennis (not smart, generally a bozo) seemed to take it personal :mjlol:

Last edited:

Gritsngravy

Superstar
Daps
I just thought about something, maybe it’s a good thing y’all want to abandon hip hop, hip hop could go back to primarily a underground thing cause y’all just refuse to acknowledge anything other than what’s on the radio
It’s so much good music out there it’s crazy this topic keeps coming up, if y’all want to listen to other genres nobody stopping y’all, but y’all don’t have to shyt on all of hip hop to do that though

This message was brought to you by Apple Music discovery radio station, Apple was in rare form creating that station

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
All this cultural force.

Hiphop is a culture.

All that misappropriate the word culture. All because it is in the lexicon of verbiage used to pertain to hiphop. Like the other subjects alluded to. Or clandestinely spoke on or about. Having or have culture is a misnomer.
plus a misappropriation culture thief style lie.

Art Barr