4 Reasons Black People Don’t Play TRPGs

iceberg_is_on_fire

Honolulu Blue Ski Mask Way
Daps
Reppin
Lombardi Trophies in Allen Park
I have cultist simulator on steam, love the writing. Hate how I die easily. Never heard any of the other ones.

I figured that I'd just screen cap my phone. I have a Z Fold3.

I randomly found this website a few years ago.

Pixelated Cardboard - Board game apps reviewed for Android and iOS

A really easy game to get into is Splendor as I said earlier.

It is an engine builder. FYI Asmodee Digital makes quality conversions for the games.

1643856179948757-1.png

1643856181321310-0.png

10 highly strategic engine-building board games for every type of player

Splendor is the first game mentioned. The idea is that you pick your chips wisely to win. A engine building game is a genre of board game where players slowly build up a system of generating resources, money, or victory points - typically this engine becomes more efficient as the game goes on, leading to a satisfying sense of achievement when the machine runs at full speed. Not to mention, multiple paths to victory as well.

Why-Fi

gnap
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
gnap
not sure it's still there but they had a store for this in my area. I walked in and hit the grandpa simpson. I was intrigued as a mf but I knew right away I'd be playing it by myself

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
I figured that I'd just screen cap my phone. I have a Z Fold3.

I randomly found this website a few years ago.

Pixelated Cardboard - Board game apps reviewed for Android and iOS

A really easy game to get into is Splendor as I said earlier.

It is an engine builder. FYI Asmodee Digital makes quality conversions for the games.

1643856179948757-1.png

1643856181321310-0.png

10 highly strategic engine-building board games for every type of player

Splendor is the first game mentioned. The idea is that you pick your chips wisely to win. A engine building game is a genre of board game where players slowly build up a system of generating resources, money, or victory points - typically this engine becomes more efficient as the game goes on, leading to a satisfying sense of achievement when the machine runs at full speed. Not to mention, multiple paths to victory as well.
Not available on the App Store
What you think of this piff

iceberg_is_on_fire

Daps
Reppin
not sure it's still there but they had a store for this in my area. I walked in and hit the grandpa simpson. I was intrigued as a mf but I knew right away I'd be playing it by myself

Same with me but as rpgs are my original gaming love and their origin traced to d&d. I had to try at least it and with digital versions of games with decent AI, I figured that I would try these out. I have a lot of fun.

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps
Looks fun but too lazy to play and I probably wouldn’t get along with the type of people who place these games.

Starman

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I played MTG when I was young, but with like 1 other person. :mjlol: Being in NY, I could have traveled to a larger scene if I was that dedicated. I just never wanted to.

I got some table top "rpg" games now, but they mostly collect dust.

But my black friends do like the party type games like Say Anything.

Zebruh

The Illustrious
Supporter
Daps
D&D is fun as hell. Really what you make it.

I think if people really like games like Skyrim and The Witcher, they'll get some enjoyment out of a game like D&D. Really just opens the sandbox that much more for you if you have a good DM and group. Just gotta commit to role-playing and not worry about being looked at as uncool or whatever.

I enjoy my group, although I would like to find an all-black group.

ColdSlither

Extensive Enterprises
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Elizabeth, NJ by way of East Orange
TRPGs are fun. My office is right across from a store that sells all this stuff, and I was going to get a few different ones before covid. Even various themed board games are fun. I had this survival horror one called Camp Grizzly. It's inspired by 70's/80's slasher movies. The players pick their stereotypical camp counselors to play ass. You have to get items and trigger events to get to one of the game's endings, before the NPC killer gets to you.

iceberg_is_on_fire

Daps
Reppin
I play pretty crunchy board games with my girl... like Wingspan, Tapestry, Dead of Winter, etc.

Any time we try to introduce friends to these, we get hit with the :francis: face

I think for a lot of people, the slower pace and the atypical nature of some games (to us as black people) throws people off. Like, asking some of my friends to play a dystopian cold war themed game would get the same face and at least one of them would be like nikka, what are you on, quit tripping and let's get that Spades or Bid Whist in rotation. The tried and true. That said as well, I'm the only friend of mine that likes RPGs in gaming anyways. If it's a board game or game of this ilk, I'll try it to see what it is.

Draje

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This.

This low key made me jealous, sounds fun :ehh:

If you get a group of friends together, DND Is one of those things that can lead to inside jokes and good memories for years while also leading to some of the most memorable gaming experiences around. Black people tend to be really creative and imaginative so we make stuff like this really fun.

I’ve had naturally formed narrative moments, rolls, and characters that I’ll remember like some of the best moments in video games.