Daps
Reppin
Bronx
Stevie Cohen on some

scary-movie-shawn-wayans.gif

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
That Nimmo contract is horrendous. Again, declining SLG/OPS for three straight years and he's been injury prone; turns 30 next March and never made an All-Star team.

I get he's an on base lead-off hitter (who doesn't steal bases) but why are they giving him eight years? He should be getting three or four MAX.

ineedsleep212

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
Now everyone who was in on Nimmo is signing Kiermaeir, signing Conforto (moght be a stretch putting him in CF but hes a lefty bat) or trading for a centerfielder.

Teams were also probably offering 23+ MM AAV over 6 and it wouldn't surprise me if ppl were willing to push it to 25 per.

The length of the deal makes this way more manageable for the Mets. It is not gonna hurt them in the long term. So much comes off the books after 2023/2024. Even if you don't think they're gonna be going over the luxury tax every year, they're always gonna be a top 5 probably top 3 payroll. They would've had to trade to replace Nimmo and that would've hurt them in short and long term. I'm not that concerned with Nimmo's injury history tbh. His plate discipline should age well and he'd probably move to left when the time is right (4-5 years into the deal).

A 5 war centerfielder in this market with so many teams in on him and trash left as far as outfielders in free agency lol. It's not surprising that he got this dollar amount to me.

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
Now everyone who was in on Nimmo is signing Kiermaeir, signing Conforto (moght be a stretch putting him in CF but hes a lefty bat) or trading for a centerfielder.

Teams were also probably offering 23+ MM AAV over 6 and it wouldn't surprise me if ppl were willing to push it to 25 per.

The length of the deal makes this way more manageable for the Mets. It is not gonna hurt them in the long term. So much comes off the books after 2023/2024. Even if you don't think they're gonna be going over the luxury tax every year, they're always gonna be a top 5 probably top 3 payroll. They would've had to trade to replace Nimmo and that would've hurt them in short and long term. I'm not that concerned with Nimmo's injury history tbh. His plate discipline should age well and he'd probably move to left when the time is right (4-5 years into the deal).

A 5 war centerfielder in this market with so many teams in on him and trash left as far as outfielders in free agency lol. It's not surprising that he got this dollar amount to me.
This was his first season having a WAR of 5. This reminds me of the Shin-Soo Choo contract but he was better than Nimmo before his monster deal.

ineedsleep212

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
This was his first season having a WAR of 5. This reminds me of the Shin-Soo Choo contract but he was better than Nimmo before his monster deal.
Got close in 2018 with 4.8. The Mets made an adjustment with him in the outfield by having him play deeper and it made a drastic differnce in his defense hence a big boost in his value. I think this is what makes his earlier years look more so so despite the good offensive value. The injuries he's had were kinda fluky tbh but of course a concern but I'm not that worried about it tbh.

His OPS+ has been pretty similar the last few years and I can see him benefiting from the shift ban. He's also been striking out less and hitting the ball harder these last few years. His obp dropping this year honestly looked more of a product of how he was being pitched and confidence in his swing and being able to handle pitches. Didn't really swing at garbage and wasted more pitches. The one thing I see is an uptick in gb% for him this year but I'm not too concerned about that.

Even if it would be an overpay hurting another team, that will definitely not be the case for the Mets. To me, this deal comes down to what the alternative would have to have been for the Mets had he left and that loss of prospects in an effort to compete now. That would've probably have them having to address more via free agency later on than they'd want to. I get how the Mets could be more comfortable making this deal at this length with him than another team simply due to the familiarity.

And the market is hot right now so every deal looks like way more than it was going to be be.

Side note: They're paying Cano $20 Million in 2023. It's light lol

Last edited:

Michael's Black Son

Blanket Jackson
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New York City & Neverland Ranch
As he should

Even if he gets banished to the worst team in the league...get that paper

fukk it. Stay in Anaheim forever, never win shyt and get that paper. That has been the Angels blueprint for a minute, just ask Trout and Pujols. Ohtani already knows what’s what.

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Carlos Rodon is still a free agent.

A team with a good bullpen like the Yankees should be all over this guy. Trot him out there for 5 innings of dominant pitching and send him to the showers.
This guy could be an easy 17-game winner here.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
Who can afford Ohtani or should we say.. who would actually pay that amount. Can't see the NYY doing it. Red Sox won't.. they are both obsessed with being Tampa for some reason..

So that leaves us the west coast. Dodgers/Padres/Giants. Mets a sleeper?

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
Who can afford Ohtani or should we say.. who would actually pay that amount. Can't see the NYY doing it. Red Sox won't.. they are both obsessed with being Tampa for some reason..

If the padres werent so desperate that would have been a layup signing, now their hands might be tied.

Dodgers seem likely

I'd like to see a team like St. Louis step up as their older mainstay players are getting older and leaving, but they seem intent on getting budding stars to blossom rather than getting full on superstar players

Brozay

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Cubs