2013 - Official College Football Random Thoughts thread

jadillac

Veteran
Daps
that never happened when they could spike the ball...

:ohhh:

You're right about that.

I see. I agree with you but if any one of those coaches of the programs you named can be successful in a big boy conference, it would be Patterson. I know it hasn't been seen as of yet but he would be the most likely. He has been out-recruiting us(OU) for 3-4 star defensive players while we continually have to coach up JUCO transfers because they and Baylor are taking them all. As long as he can coach his team to cut down on mistakes, he'll be ok and his teams will start winning more games.

Damn shame we have almost FOUR times the number of conf. titles of anyone else in the conference and have so many problems recruiting.

I know it sounds contrived but it's partly b/c our program seems "old, stale". You notice, TCU, Baylor, Okie St all started getting better (recruits) when they got alternate/ new uniforms and changed their image up. Aside from winning a national title every year(which will attract kids automatically), that kind of stuff is what attracts recruits/kids these days.

QuintessentialBM

GoldenAgeGamer82 - PSN ID
Daps
Reppin
Gamers Paradise

You're right about that.

Damn shame we have almost FOUR times the number of conf. titles of anyone else in the conference and have so many problems recruiting.

I know it sounds contrived but it's partly b/c our program seems "old, stale". You notice, TCU, Baylor, Okie St all started getting better (recruits) when they got alternate/ new uniforms and changed their image up. Aside from winning a national title every year(which will attract kids automatically), that kind of stuff is what attracts recruits/kids these days.

Well, good luck getting Stoops and the OU Alumni/Fan Base to agree or even allow a uniform change..... Stoops is already on record saying if the only reason you came to OU is for flashy unis, then you came to OU for the wrong reason. Every OU uniform that Nike has ever designed has not been popular.

jadillac

Veteran
Daps
david ash officially ruled out, case mccoy can't throw past 10 yds. unload on ole miss.

y'all have more than enough running backs to win this game on the ground. Or just go back to throwing quick slants.

Well, good luck getting Stoops and the OU Alumni/Fan Base to agree or even allow a uniform change..... Stoops is already on record saying if the only reason you came to OU is for flashy unis, then you came to OU for the wrong reason. Every OU uniform that Nike has ever designed has not been popular.

From a news article:

Maybe. Bob Stoops says it’s possible. He didn’t say it would happen, but he said OU is open to discussions about the possibility.

Stoops knows what a firestorm that would cause among older-generation fans. He also knows how attractive it would be to potential recruits.

“You’re never above experimenting here or there,” Stoops said. “Some time you have a chance to do it, you never know. You know why, too, it’s fair to say.”

And here’s why. I received an email from the father of a former OU player. I thought it was interesting enough to share.

“Berry, I just read your blog on the Baylor gold helmet and the trend of being like Oregon filtering through college football. Let me tell you, my son told me numerous times the players at OU were getting tired of the same uniforms every game, and they were wanting ‘cool’ new looks (especially all the out-of-state players). And they heard many recruits say, ‘why does OU not have a bunch of cool options to wear?’

“I know, I know, I am like you. I LOVE the tradition of the OU uniforms, but you and I are not being recruited for OU. And I know there is SO much more (and more important) things to choose a college to play football at, but I am telling you it is starting (if not already) to hurt OU. Kids today LOVE to look good. (My son) said OU needs to get on the same page as OSU, Oregon, etc. or it will hurt recruiting. I know Boren, Joe and Bob will fight hard against it, but I believe it could ignite some recruiting if they could display some new modern uniforms because like the program was getting stale, the kids can sense that, too.

“I am not saying wear something new like Oregon does every weekend, but I do think OU needs to get Nike to create a couple of modern ones, or they will continue to be behind the times.”

I don’t know how serious are these player desires. Could be just 20-year-olds talking. But clearly, the new-age uniforms at Oregon and OSU and West Virginia and all over the country have caught recruits’ attention. And some tradition-rich programs have gone down the same path.

“It’s interesting that some don’t, though,” Stoops said. “Florida doesn’t do it. Georgia doesn’t do it. Alabama doesn’t do it. USC doesn’t do it. Penn State doesn’t do it. Ohio State doesn’t do it. There’s some pretty good schools that don’t do it. Oklahoma doesn’t do it. Throw us in there.”

Now, some schools have gone to single-game special uniforms. OU has worn throwback uniforms on rare occasions.

Stoops said Nike would like the Sooners to experiment and he and the OU administration are willing to consider it. “But we garner attention when kids turn on the TV, we’re recognizable immediately,” Stoops said. “As soon as you turn it on. We garner attention through being such a brand, to a degree.”---

even this would be dope for a change

0de0cd00-24d9-4095-91e0-97c6cf6d1ea0_zps56625843.jpg

this black with red letters would be dope too

SnfXcHi.jpg

QuintessentialBM

GoldenAgeGamer82 - PSN ID
Daps
Reppin
Gamers Paradise
y'all have more than enough running backs to win this game on the ground. Or just go back to throwing quick slants.

From a news article:

Maybe. Bob Stoops says it’s possible. He didn’t say it would happen, but he said OU is open to discussions about the possibility.

Stoops knows what a firestorm that would cause among older-generation fans. He also knows how attractive it would be to potential recruits.

“You’re never above experimenting here or there,” Stoops said. “Some time you have a chance to do it, you never know. You know why, too, it’s fair to say.”

And here’s why. I received an email from the father of a former OU player. I thought it was interesting enough to share.

“Berry, I just read your blog on the Baylor gold helmet and the trend of being like Oregon filtering through college football. Let me tell you, my son told me numerous times the players at OU were getting tired of the same uniforms every game, and they were wanting ‘cool’ new looks (especially all the out-of-state players). And they heard many recruits say, ‘why does OU not have a bunch of cool options to wear?’

“I know, I know, I am like you. I LOVE the tradition of the OU uniforms, but you and I are not being recruited for OU. And I know there is SO much more (and more important) things to choose a college to play football at, but I am telling you it is starting (if not already) to hurt OU. Kids today LOVE to look good. (My son) said OU needs to get on the same page as OSU, Oregon, etc. or it will hurt recruiting. I know Boren, Joe and Bob will fight hard against it, but I believe it could ignite some recruiting if they could display some new modern uniforms because like the program was getting stale, the kids can sense that, too.

“I am not saying wear something new like Oregon does every weekend, but I do think OU needs to get Nike to create a couple of modern ones, or they will continue to be behind the times.”

I don’t know how serious are these player desires. Could be just 20-year-olds talking. But clearly, the new-age uniforms at Oregon and OSU and West Virginia and all over the country have caught recruits’ attention. And some tradition-rich programs have gone down the same path.

“It’s interesting that some don’t, though,” Stoops said. “Florida doesn’t do it. Georgia doesn’t do it. Alabama doesn’t do it. USC doesn’t do it. Penn State doesn’t do it. Ohio State doesn’t do it. There’s some pretty good schools that don’t do it. Oklahoma doesn’t do it. Throw us in there.”

Now, some schools have gone to single-game special uniforms. OU has worn throwback uniforms on rare occasions.

Stoops said Nike would like the Sooners to experiment and he and the OU administration are willing to consider it. “But we garner attention when kids turn on the TV, we’re recognizable immediately,” Stoops said. “As soon as you turn it on. We garner attention through being such a brand, to a degree.”

I feel what you're saying but as of now it is what it is....... The reality is that Crimson is a dull color despite it being the official school color of The University Of Oklahoma and The University of Alabama. It will never compete with more common and popular colors like Orange, Green, Red or any kind of Blue. Until you get a GAWD design that everyone likes(that I'm not sure Nike can create)the unis won't change. We are the fan base most reluctant to change. Hey bro, do you not remember these.......

th

I don't ever remember these worn in a game but Nike did release these to the buying public.......... and they weren't popular... I see someone with this jersey once in a blue moon.

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4

You're right about that.

but you have good ol jr

jadillac

Veteran
Daps
but you have good ol jr

Attitude era was 15 years ago.......even a 17 year old recruit would be barely old enough to be a fan of his.

Alabama is as old fahsioned as they comes and look at them.I hate these new uniforms

Alabama is, as I said, winning national titles every year....which recruits itself. You can wear anything in that case.

Plus to be fair, each Alabama helmet has the players number on it. So there's that different of individuality right there

Daps
Reppin
NULL

You're right about that.

Alabama is as old fahsioned as they comes and look at them.I hate these new uniforms