1996 the best year in hip hop?

Thatrogueassdiaz

We're on the blood path now
Daps
Reppin
Center self, inner self
I feel you, I don't have any problems with comparisons between years, it's just when somebody tries to put one year over everything else ever made in hip hop history on some "96 was the best year hands down" or "94 was the best year hands down" type shyt.

I just feel it down plays everything else when somebody says that.

Everybody wants there to be a "best" in every aspect for some reason. And that shyt just don't exist fam.

Obviously I see that certain years were filled with classic albums though

And if we go by that, 96 has the most "classic," essential albums

Big Mel

@bigboss
Daps
Reppin
Flodge free zone
1996 was the year a bunch of people put out albums that weren't as good as the albums they put out in years prior.

Jeru
Ghost/Rae
Mobb
Nas
Redman
De La
Tribe
2pac

plus we were blessed by the two lovable hip hop slores Foxy & Kim

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
I'm starting to think it was the best year of the '90s for sure... there was a lil' bit of everything, cause it was such a transitional year. It was like one era going out and another one coming in- you had the G-funk era closing and the South movement on the rise, the last time "underground" style rap still had a presence and when the Bad Boy sound/style took off... but all of it was happening at the same time. You could bump Nas, Outkast, De La Soul, Lil' Kim, 2Pac, Mobb Deep, Ras Kass, Busta, Master P, The Roots, Bone Thugs... it was all goin' on at once and whatever you liked was out there. I didn't realize it at the time but '96 was :ooh:

Mandizi

5-I-3 till I D-I-E
Daps
Reppin
Cincy
I'm starting to think it was the best year of the '90s for sure... there was a lil' bit of everything, cause it was such a transitional year. It was like one era going out and another one coming in- you had the G-funk era closing and the South movement on the rise, the last time "underground" style rap still had a presence and when the Bad Boy sound/style took off... but all of it was happening at the same time. You could bump Nas, Outkast, De La Soul, Lil' Kim, 2Pac, Mobb Deep, Ras Kass, Busta, Master P, The Roots, Bone Thugs... it was all goin' on at once and whatever you liked was out there. I didn't realize it at the time but '96 was :ooh:

It was definitely a changing of the guard.

I'll also add that '96 was the eeriest year ever in hip hop with the controversy/conspiracy surrounding Pac and his death, east coast vs. west coast, Bad Boy vs. Death Row, hip hop police(Rampart scandal), and gang involvement.

greenbud

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
yes it was. Iron man,Reasonable Doubt,Hell on Earth ,ATLiens ,The Score ,Muddy Waters,Firing Squad ,Stakes Is High ,The Don Killuminati: The 7 Day Theory ,All Eyez on Me ,Illadelph Halflife ,Nocturnal ,Ridin' Dirty ,At the Speed of Life,Soul on Ice ,It Was Written ,The Awakening ,Bow Down ,Legal Drug Money,Gravity,America Is Dying Slowly ,Can You Feel Me ,Gettin' It (Album Number Ten) ,Steel on a Mission ,High School High ,Str8 Off tha Streetz of Muthaphukkin Compton,Seasoned Veteran,Once Upon a Time in America ,DJ Honda ,The Other Side of the Law ,Cloud 9 ,The End,Perfection,Here to Save You All , Resurrection,The Coming,F.B.I.,Psychotic Genius ,SeasonedVeteran,Anuthafunkdafiedtantrum ,Wrath of the Math ,T.H.U.G.S.,Da Storm,Hemp Museum,The Villain in Black,Lost Generation ,Episodes of a Hustla and Enigma.

Double J

Banned
Daps
This. The jump from 96 to 97 is damn near 2 different genres of music.

Damn I always felt this way. The difference in sound from 96 to 97 was huge and happened so quick. It was like the flip of a switch.

Hell on Earth came out at the end of 96 and Life After Death came out at the beginning of 97 and they sound completely different.

Thatrogueassdiaz

We're on the blood path now
Daps
Reppin
Center self, inner self
yes it was. Iron man,Reasonable Doubt,Hell on Earth ,ATLiens ,The Score ,Muddy Waters,Firing Squad ,Stakes Is High ,The Don Killuminati: The 7 Day Theory ,All Eyez on Me ,Illadelph Halflife ,Nocturnal ,Ridin' Dirty ,At the Speed of Life,Soul on Ice ,It Was Written ,The Awakening ,Bow Down ,Legal Drug Money,Gravity,America Is Dying Slowly ,Can You Feel Me ,Gettin' It (Album Number Ten) ,Steel on a Mission ,High School High ,Str8 Off tha Streetz of Muthaphukkin Compton,Seasoned Veteran,Once Upon a Time in America ,DJ Honda ,The Other Side of the Law ,Cloud 9 ,The End,Perfection,Here to Save You All , Resurrection,The Coming,F.B.I.,Psychotic Genius ,SeasonedVeteran,Anuthafunkdafiedtantrum ,Wrath of the Math ,T.H.U.G.S.,Da Storm,Hemp Museum,The Villain in Black,Lost Generation ,Episodes of a Hustla and Enigma.

Which Resurrection are you talking about? Cause I think Common's Resurrection came out in 94