16y.o Served 3 Years At Rikers Island For Charges That Were Dismissed.. Update: Commited Suicide RIP

RebelX

HEir
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
~~~
Jay Z Discusses Importance of Forthcoming Docuseries 'Kalief Browder Story'

On Thursday (Oct. 6), Spike TV president Kevin Kay, film studio executive Harvey Weinstein and Shawn “Jay Z” Carter hosted a press conference in New York for the forthcoming series TIME: The Kalief Browder Story. The six-part “television event” tackles the story of the 22-year-old African-American man named Kalief Browder who was arrested at 16 years old in May 2010, after being accused of stealing a backpack, and awaited trial for three years at Rikers Island. He wasn’t convicted, and the case was ultimately dismissed, but the damage to his mental well-being had been done. Browder had spent two of those years in solitary confinement, and several months after his release from jail, he took his own life.

“I look at Kalief Browder as a modern-day prophet,” Jay Z told a crowd of journalists. “Our prophets come in many different shapes, forms and mediums. This young man, just by the fact that he brought all of us here today, lets you know how powerful of a soul he was.” Kay added, “Anyone who has followed Kalief’s journey realized that something has to be done about our current criminal justice system. It’s time for change, and it’s time to tell Kalief’s story.”

Weinstein, whose company has helmed films like the 2004 documentary Farenheit 9/11 on the state of America post-September 11, and 2014’s Citizenfour about Edward Snowden, also said: "I know what the power of a movie can do.” He admitted he didn't know Browder's story until Jay Z had brought the project to the Weinstein Company. “I’m gonna be honest. I didn’t even know who Kalief was until Shawn showed us footage and talked to us about the project, and now I want to make sure everybody knows.”

Jay Z also recalled how he met Browder after the current president of Roc Nation, Chaka Pilgrim, ran into Browder’s lawyer at an event. "I just wanted to give him words of encouragement, that I saw his story and I’m proud of him for making it through, and to keep pushing.” Once he heard that Browder, who was enrolled in classes at Bronx Community College, had committed suicide, he was "thrown." He offered, "That’s now how the story goes -- not in movies, not in real life.” Soon after, Obama spoke about wanting to end solitary confinement for minors. “I know that was Kalief,” said Jay Z, adding: “He’s done more in 19 years than most do in a lifetime.”

Jay Z Discusses Importance of Forthcoming Docuseries 'Kalief Browder Story'

PikaDaDon

Thunderbolt Them Suckers
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Not surprised that it's a black cop beating the shyt out of him. Black cops are MUCH worse than white cops.

Also I doubt Jay Z gives a shyt. Him and Weinstein just want to exploit the boy's death for money.

AlainLocke

Banned
Daps
Not surprised that it's a black cop beating the shyt out of him. Black cops are MUCH worse than white cops.

Also I doubt Jay Z gives a shyt. Him and Weinstein just want to exploit the boy's death for money.

....he is making a story about the boy's life. I am sure he cares.

Jay Z got more than enough money.

General Mills

More often than not I tend to take that L.
Daps
Reppin
Piffsburgh, PA
I remember this story.

Re reading it just makes me:mjcry:

I am imagining 16 year old me getting locked for something i did not do. Then getting TORTURED. And having zero support.

At 16!:damn:

At 16 i was only concerned with playing madden, jacking off, and basketball.

My only stress was that damn algebra test and doing the dishes.:sadbron: