16y.o Served 3 Years At Rikers Island For Charges That Were Dismissed.. Update: Commited Suicide RIP

Alexander The Great

I ain't gonna say this sh*t again
Supporter
Daps
So tell me the facts that alleviate this kid's parents of any responsibility for their son being on Rikers Island for 3 years on petty charges that were eventually dismissed fukk boy. No point of bringing your bytch ass in here whining about what I've said if you're not going to explain why there's a problem with what I said.
you really are fukking stupid aren't you, and clearly have no idea of reality, especially when it come to the legal system in this country and even worse New York. this shyt isn't a movie or tv show. you know how many people end up in rikers just awaiting trial? family probably had a public defender assigned to them, most can't afford a lawyer like that. and even with a lawyer, you have to wait because there are hundreds of cases before yours.

in here talking my mommy would have done this, or my mommy would have done that...your mommy wouldn't have done shyt....my mommy...:dry: got the nerve to call someone a fukk boy..in here talking about my mommy gonna come :cape: me. fukk outta here bytch

wait...maybe they could have organized a prison break :ohhh:

hayesc0

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Lol, I mean technically he did:skip:

But it takes nothing for black men to visit prisons and help mold boys and help them cope. Dude thought up some wild retarded way to kill himself with an air conditioning unit, cuz he had no real support.

We reading comments from his mother N shyt:what:

We men .. we kill these boys low key
:patrice:
What are you talking about you are terrible at recognizing who is responsible in situations. :scust:

Gravity

Banned
Daps
you really are fukking stupid aren't you, and clearly have no idea of reality, especially when it come to the legal system in this country and even worse New York. this shyt isn't a movie or tv show. you know how many people end up in rikers just awaiting trial? family probably had a public defender assigned to them, most can't afford a lawyer like that. and even with a lawyer, you have to wait because there are hundreds of cases before yours.

in here talking my mommy would have done this, or my mommy would have done that...your mommy wouldn't have done shyt....my mommy...:dry: got the nerve to call someone a fukk boy..in here talking about my mommy gonna come :cape: me. fukk outta here bytch

wait...maybe they could have organized a prison break :ohhh:
Hey if you don't have a mom that would raise hell if you were in jail unjustly then tuff titty for you. :heh: at your fakkit ass trying to put me down for having a mom that will.

Save the hissy fit. I asked you for facts specific to this case explaining why a 16 year old with a mom and dad spent 3 years on Rikers Island over a petty theft charge that was eventually dismissed. I understand about awaitin trial and all of that, but I find it hard to believe that they had the 16 year old under no bond or that his family couldn't afford the bond or raise the money in 3 years for the bond. If you have proof that either of those things are true then provide them and I'll reasses my position. Otherwise go fukk yourself fakkit. Coming at me on some emotional crybaby shyt because you don't agree with what I said.

diggy

Florida Man
Supporter
Daps
Sorry to hear, this actually made me feel cold reading the story. RIP, hope his family can get through this.

Blackking

Banned
Supporter
Daps
:comeon: rapes don't happen to that degree. It's a rare occurrence and even more so in the the youth section. The youth section at Rikers is extremely violent. It's worse than the adult section and they have major issues with slashings. Those kids can be straight savage and eager to prove something to the gangs they rep. Take an innocent kid whose not street, had no rap sheet, no one inside to hold him down, and throw him into that mix and he's food. They had him in solitary for 2 years. CO's beating him up and starving him. Plus he attempted suicide 5 or 6 times while in prison. He never got a trial and thought he'd never get out. He wasn't built for jail.

He gets out and it's obvious he had PTSD. He was having panic attacks and was paranoid that the cops were still out to get him. He didn't need a support system, he needed professional help. His family couldn't afford that so he was left with no options.

Honestly, I don't know what his family situation was like but I find it odd that they couldn't see a bail bondsman and come up with some bread to get him out.
His family and or community wasn't there for him.

Danie84

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Tragic Story like this, makes me lose more and more faith in humanity:damn:

...:rip: Kalief, I hope your innocent tortured soul reaps eternal everlasting peace:wow:

kevthesureshot

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:rip:

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics...ief-and-tragic-life-of-kalief-browder/395156/

The Brief and Tragic Life of Kalief Browder
Numbers alone can't convey what the justice system does to the individual black body.

We are in the midst of a debate around criminal justice right now, a timid one no doubt, but a debate nonetheless. In the midst of such debates it is customary for pundits, politicians, and writers like me to sally forth with numbers to demonstrate the breadth and width of the great American carceral state. The numbers are, indeed, bracing and are not hard to find. The fact that African Americans comprise some one in 200 of all known people in the world, and yet African American men comprise one in 12 of all known prisoners has always given me pause.

Kalief Browder was one of those African American men. But in 2010 he was a boy of 16, sent to Riker’s Island for a crime he did not commit. As reported by the great Jennifer Gonnerman, Browder sat there for three years without a trial. He was repeatedly beaten by guards and inmates while in Rikers. He spent two years in solitary confinement—a euphemism for living under torture. On Saturday the effects of that torture were made manifest:

That afternoon, at about 12:15 P.M., [Browder] went into another bedroom, pulled out the air conditioner, and pushed himself out through the hole in the wall, feet first, with a cord wrapped around his neck. His mother was the only other person home at the time. After she heard a loud thumping noise upstairs, she went upstairs to investigate, but couldn’t figure out what had happened. It wasn’t until she went outside to the backyard and looked up that she realized that her youngest child had hanged himself.

The numbers which people like me bring forth to convey the problems of our justice system are decent tools. But what the numbers can’t convey is what the justice system does to the individual black body. Kalief Browder was an individual, which is to say he was a being with his own passions, his own particular joys, his own strange demons, his own flaws, his own eyes, his own mouth, his own original hands. His family had their own particular stories of him. His friends must remember him in their own original way. The senseless destruction of this individual must necessarily be laid at the feet of the citizens of New York, because it was done by our servants, and it was done in our name.

He was his mother and father’s child—an individual. And yet for reasons as old as America, he was not treated like one.
There should be an accounting beyond numbers for these years, something that goes beyond the failures of state budgets, something that goes beyond the the insanity of our policy. Something that captures the grandmothers beaten on traffic islands, the daughters shoved face first into the ground, the son shot while playing, the man choked to death over cigarettes, or for producing his license, or for being mentally ill, or for playing cops and robbers, or for sport. This is more than mistaken policy. This is cruelty—the long war to save the blacks from themselves. Browder was not “the blacks.” He was his mother and father’s child—an individual. And yet for reasons as old as America, he was not treated like one.

tmonster

Superstar
Daps
Interview from 2013:

In the brutal experience of being tortured, the victim collapses under the weight of desolate isolation, hopelessness, helplessness, and physical pain that reduces him to quivering flesh. There is no future, no chance of reprieve or rescue, no familiar landmark in this utterly foreign land that's beyond the mind's limits. Torture robs the victim of "trust in the world," the certainty that his self is inviolate and that others will respect the boundaries of his self.
Once lost, this fundamental trust in the world can never be regained. Torture, says Amery, has an "indelible character. Whoever was tortured, stays tortured. Torture is ineradicably burned into him," and he will live forever in astonishment at a world in which some people boundlessly assert themselves by reducing others to body. "With the first blow from a policeman's fist, against which there can be no defense and which no helping hand will ward off, a part of our life ends and it can never again be revived."
Jean Amery killed himself in 1978, 35 years after the first blow that shattered his world.

Mr Hate Coffee

Veteran
Daps
This is so sad. People say let the justice system work...3 years for a trial? In jail that amount of time over a backpack as a kid. He didn't even commit the crime and served a sentence. Would a white kid have been sent to jail period or even been arrested? I have said this so many times, they don't give a damn. Our kids aren't children to them. People working the system could care less. They will mess up a persons life with no regard, as long as they see a black face. I have been to bail hearings and other hearings. They keep you locked up, reschedule your trial for months. By the time you see court again you will take whatever they give you. If you don't have money for a lawyer or good lawyer you are SOL. It's sad, they broke him down. Put him throught torture for nothing, he never had a chance.

This, more than anything, is why it's important to have your money right and know people in the right places that can help you. All I can think reading his story is, "Where was his family? Where was the outcry?" You gotta have someone in your corner making this shyt a big enough deal for someone to do something about it. It seems like even a remotely competent lawyer would have made sure they didn't put him in Rikers. Rikers for crying out loud!!! WTF?!?

I just don't see how anybody who remotely cared about him could sleep at night for three years unless they felt they did all he could.

bdwind01

Banned
Daps
Reading what happened to him has made me seriously angry and feeling some type of way

He was a reg good black kid man not one caught up in trying to be a thug or anything stupid. I feel for this dude RIP Brotha