10 Years Later, Is Dark Knight Still The Best?

Is Dark Knight Still The Best?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Return of the Jedi

Star Wars & Sneakers
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Anti-George Lucas Coalition
Nolan's Batman trilogy is like the Godfather trilogy. 1 movie obviously better, one was pretty good, and then the other you pretend didn't happen.

A lot of these movies are just comic books in film, basically taken from the Toby McGuire Spiderman franchise. Like action-comedies. Even some of the Batman triology were more like that

Dark Knight was an actual like, "film." I wouldn't compare it to Avengers or any of that shyt, you compare it to Scarface and the Godfather, etc.

Heath Ledger probably put on the greatest movie villain performances in history. In Apocalypse Now, Marlon Brando was barely on screen because he was so fat. Heath carried at least half of that movie, and his scenes were all amazing. RIP to the god. :mjcry:
Exactly. As much as I loved Black Panther, Avengers, Winter Soldier & Civil War...they didn't transcend the genre the way TDK did. Batman remains the GOAT.

giphy.gif

Ribbs

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
It's set the standard for what a great superhero movie is and no matter what movie comes out, it's always mentioned even a decade later. Top 3 at best. Winter Solider and Logan I'd put above it. What made those movies great is they did't feel or look like a superhero movies and it arguable started with DK. Stripped the high contrast colour of a comic book and grounded it. Made it realistic.

It's WAY too early to put Black Panther up there, some of you been smoking that purple herb. It's up there for a superhero first introductory movie maybe, Spider-Man 2002 is still good, hell Blade's first movie is up there too.

DK is still the standard, always will be. So yes.

My sister always said it was like Heat with Batman dropped into it.

Lefty Gunz

Superstar
Daps
Save for maybe Heath Ledgers joker performance (to which while great in its own right, I honestly wonder if it got pumped up a bit further due to his death; that ole posthumous stimulus), Black Panther takes all three of those categories clean.

Michael Caine, Aaron Eckhart and Gary Oldman (of course) were all great as well.

As fas as story goes, Dark Knight is easily superior. The theme of the whole movie being an allegory for post 9/11 terrorism plus Nolan's ability to make it a crime thriller, disguised as a superhero movie while staying true to the comic book is second to none.

The editing, pace, and Zimmer score is better as well

Black Panther was great but its not even better than The Winter Soldier

YakSpiller

Superstar
Daps
Movie gives me chills to this day.

That chase scene...I remember being in the movies thinking the movie was finna wrap up after that, it was so epic:mjlol:...shyt went another hour of pure excellence :wow:Heath shyt all over that shyt.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Michael Caine, Aaron Eckhart and Gary Oldman (of course) were all great as well.

As fas as story goes, Dark Knight is easily superior. The theme of the whole movie being an allegory for post 9/11 terrorism plus Nolan's ability to make it a crime thriller, disguised as a superhero movie while staying true to the comic book is second to none.

The editing, pace, and Zimmer score is better as well

Black Panther was great but its not even better than The Winter Soldier

I never said that those actors weren't great, just that comparatively and full acting cast between the two movies, Black Panther takes it clean. You even have a host of strong women in BP, not just as characters, but as superb display of acting as well (Dania & Letitia most noticeably), compared to a just one pretty decent at best, Maggie.

As far as themes go, Black Panther weaves so many past and current relevant themes and seamlessly at that, that it beats it there too.

I'd say just barely, pacing could go to Dark Knight, but score. Nah, not even. Score is definitely better in BP, not only cuz of how it synchronizes, accentuates and elevates every scene, but also because BP score is even more playable outside of watching the movie. I play that shyt in the ride like daily. Dark Knight score was great within the context of the movie, but I never even once thought of playing it while not watching the movie, let alone actually done so.

Funny that you bring up Winter Soldier, cuz I know when seeing WS first time in theaters, by the end, I had it better than Dark Knight.

Reality

Make your own luck.
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Ledger's performance as the joker pretty much makes it untouchable. The balance of sinister, mischief, and pure menace was so well tuned, and the timing so on point - doubt we'll ever see another performance like it. Perfect encapsulation of what a real life joker would probably be like.

K-Apps

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brick City/Happy Valley
As much as I liked TDK, the biggest thing that hurts it from being a GOAT film imo is that rushed ending with Two-Face. I feel like it should’ve ended with Two-Face killing that dirty cop at the bar. Dark Knight Rises should’ve been Batman battling Two-Face and Bane taking advantage of a broken Batman and Gotham mentally and physically after their hero became one of the city’s biggest threats.