1 BTC = $8.2k, it’s up 735% this yr UPDATE 5/19: BTC @ $42k :damn:

((ReFleXioN)) EteRNaL

RIP MR. SMOKE
Daps
If the coin is in your wallet that doesn't mean the value of it can't go up, you just have to put it back on an exchange to sell it.

Imagine a bar of gold, if gold goes up it doesn't matter if your bar is in a shoebox or on display somewhere, the value of gold went up period.
yea the shyt just clicked for me. I get it now. good looks

Entropy Fan

Superstar
Daps
I thought if you put in a wallet, it's no longer gaining. like the currency is completely off the exchange just like if you were to transfer it to your bank. i'm really trying to understand this fully. cause it's scary to me thinking that all my shyt could be stolen as long as it's on the coinbase servers. I'd be constantly trying to sell my shyt and missing out on even better growth. or maybe i'm getting this wrong.:yeshrug:
If you put 1 bitcoin in your wall for example its value is based on whatever the market price is. It gains or loses in your wallet same as it would in coinbase.com

Malta

Sweetwater
Daps
Reppin
Now who else wanna fukk with Hollywood Court?
So basically, in regards to the big 3:
1. You use coinbase to purchase them with US dollars,
2. You transfer the amount of the big 3 you want to keep untouched in your wallet.
3. You transfer the amount you want to trade-in for alt coins in Binance
4. You put any alt coins you want to keep untouched in your wallet?

Wash, rinse, repeat?

Then say it's time to cash out on an alt coin... at that point do you sell them back on binance to get BTC and then transfer that BTC back to coinbase to cash out?

Yeah, and you keep stuff on Binance that you want to trade freely.

The Radiant One

Superstar
Daps
I thought I read if you lose your hardware wallet, you can get another one and enter your secure code and retrieve all your funds.

It depends the trezor and ledger wallet that's true but there are many ways to store bitcoin and some people don't want to hand over cash for a good wallet. Please brehs buy a good hardware wallet or if it is in an exchange at least have it be somewhat safe (coinbase vault) we can't have black wealth "just disappear".

Deflatedhoopdreams

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Rucker
:ohhh:

If i'm understanding this tho..

...if you put 1000 in lite coin in coinbase but you decide to transfer that 1000 of litecoin to a secure wallet... the value is still the same/growing. It's just in a different spot. The only thing that changes is they are no longer available to you in coinbase... if i'm understanding this correctly? Bc the BTC i transferred from coinbase to Binance still grows in Binance.

That is correct. Its like owning a collector's item. If the value for it goes up. When you're ready to sell it its worth whatever the market value is at the time.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
It depends the trezor and ledger wallet that's true but there are many ways to store bitcoin and some people don't want to hand over cash for a good wallet. Please brehs buy a good hardware wallet or if it is in an exchange at least have it be somewhat safe (coinbase vault) we can't have black wealth "just disappear".
So these wallets have to be purchased? Are there free wallets (or free wallets that are 'secure', i should say) or is it pretty much 'you get what you pay for' type thing? And is coinbase vault pretty much coinbase (i.e. the app)? Or is that an add on/separate thing from it?

Malta

Sweetwater
Daps
Reppin
Now who else wanna fukk with Hollywood Court?
Its crazy how people really getting money off this:ehh: if only i knew earlier:francis:

It's earlier breh, the market is "only" $500 billion, compare it to the global fiat exchanges if you want to see where it could end up ($70 trillion).

Cake up while everyone is waiting for the bubble to burst.

Entropy Fan

Superstar
Daps
It's earlier breh, the market is "only" $500 billion, compare it to the global fiat exchanges if you want to see where it could end up ($70 trillion).

Cake up while everyone is waiting for the bubble to burst
ZxVLX_s-200x150.gif

The Radiant One

Superstar
Daps
So these wallets have to be purchased? Are there free wallets (or free wallets that are 'secure', i should say) or is it pretty much 'you get what you pay for' type thing? And is coinbase vault pretty much coinbase (i.e. the app)? Or is that an add on/separate thing from it?

For info on types of wallets
How to store your bitcoins - bitcoin wallets - CoinDesk

Also since this is a digital currency you don't have to pay anything to store your bitcoins you can simply have a "paper" wallet
How to Make a Paper Bitcoin Wallet

But for some of these losing your key means your bitcoins are lost forever and that happens more than people who have gotten hacked. There are pros and cons for all types of wallets ..

Here is a little summary about coinbase wallet.

Coinbase Vault makes it highly unlikely for your coins to ever be hacked and if they are it takes 48 hours for them to move which means that it is highly likely the transaction will be stopped before it goes into the hackers wallet.

Coinbase Review - Security, Exchange, Vault, Wallet, Fees and More
Coinbase Security
In the world of cryptocurrency, security is paramount. Coinbase is extremely well-financed, and as such is able to invest a significant amount into the development and maintenance of robust security systems. Coinbase is backed by trusted investors and is one of the only cryptocurrency trading platforms that is backed by venture capital from well-known investment banks and other financial institutions.

High level financial backing means high level financial security, and for this reason Coinbase has become one of the most well-trusted cryptocurrency trading platforms online. In the United States, Coinbase is covered by FDIC insurance that provides up to $250,000 USD.
This insurance applies only to the funds in USD-based Coinbase wallets, and is only available to residents of the United States.

Coinbase is currently licensed in 38 States in the USA, and holds a “Money Transmitter” license in states where it is required. Coinbase is also supported by continuous audits of their overall financial operations, reserve management practices, and comprehensive background checks on all management staff members. By working closely with regulatory bodies, Coinbase has made itself the most trustworthy cryptocurrency platforms online.

When it comes to security, there are no other platforms that are as safe as the Coinbase exchange. Coinbase protects their users from hacking attacks with insurance, backup management, and offline private key storage. Even if hackers were able to access funds held by Coinbase, the platform would easily be able to compensate users.

While Coinbase security is extremely high, it’s important to remember that users lose part of their freedom in return for protection. Coinbase is able to disable or freeze user accounts at any point in time, completely blocking user access to funds. As the original purpose of cryptocurrency is to provide users with complete control over their own funds, it’s important to use Coinbase only as a trading platform, and manage the storage of your own cryptocurrency locally.

The reason why IRS is able to go after coinbase and not other exchanges is because they insure their money which means a risk of coinbase is that the IRS will tax you like I said evaulate the pros and cons and see which is best for you.

TNOT

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NOLA
There's always risk when you leave your coins on someone else server -

Founders of hacked crypto-mining site apologize over Facebook livestream

BitGrail was down for 24 hours the other day, people had their coins locked in and I'm sure it cost people thousands.

If you take your coins off coinbase cop a Ledger Nano S and a waterproof/fireproof safe to put it in. You can get a small one from Home Depot or Costco.
I'll be ordering mine today.

Thieves are licking their chops. If you have large amounts you don't plan on trading. Safeguard your shyt.

I've never done this but I assume you can email your address to yourself, print it out and delete the email. Store that print out in a safe place, and you would be good.

Anyone ever done this