I watched Fight Club countless of times and never realized this!

swampfox

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Prove it. There's nothing remotely suggesting she's a real person, and makes more sense in context to who the narrator was and actually gives her character PURPOSE along with why Tyler deems her as a threat.

The evidence is practically blatant as to how she's not real. The ONLY thing you can claim she's a real person is INDIRECT interaction with the Space Monkeys and even from the clip I posted earlier proves that members of the Fight Club/Project Mayhem are a figment of his imagination. Shoot, remember the scene where Tyler and Marla was overheard screaming madly while fucckin' upstairs and the phone ring and "Jack" answered it talking to the black Detective telling him that someone committed arson to his condo. Now if Marla was REAL, then the narrator would be fucckin' HER instead of talking to the detective. So, it is either him hearing IN HIS HEAD Tyler and Marla having sex, or imagined himself talking to the detective while having sex with Marla, or he imagined it ALL. But it CANNOT be both being "real". There's nothing proving or showing the detective as being imaginary, but too much evidence supporting Marla being imaginary.

I could go on with this, but like I said... if you believe she is real... Prove it. And don't rely on the book, because the book and the film are way different from each other.

Why were the men following her on the bus when she sat down then? Why did she tell the men to get off of her so she could see Tyler after he blew his jaw off? How was she able to receive the money from selling the clothes she ripped off from the laundry mat before exchanging numbers with Tyler? How did he get inside her apartment if she didnt exist?

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Why were the men following her on the bus when she sat down then? Why did she tell the men to get off of her so she could see Tyler after he blew his jaw off? How was she able to receive the money from selling the clothes she ripped off from the laundry mat before exchanging numbers with Tyler? How did he get inside her apartment if she didnt exist?

Who else ASIDE from members of Project Mayhem to whom I already proven were figments of the narrator's imagination did Marla interact with? Those are the same guys that interacted with Tyler TOO. Also, why are you acting like the narrator doesn't play out his actions through Tyler and Tyler interacts with real people too, like with the mob boss for example? So her getting money from the the lady at the thrift store means nothing, especially she never actually SPOKE to the lady.

Not to mention the when the apartment scene, and I stated this out earlier as to why she's not real, because this was the more damning. FIRST AND FOREMOST, how did Tyler (the narrator) knew where she LIVED. She only gave out her number, nothing about her address. 2ND of all, she was counting down to TEN and Tyler was able to get from the house on Paper Street which was stated being miles away from everything to HER apartment in LESS THAN 10 SECONDS FLAT. Who made the phone call for the police of a possible suicide? How'd would anyone ELSE know she took pills that COINCIDENTALLY are the same pills that the narrator was given to by his doctor at the beginning of the movie? How did Marla NOT recognize Tyler if she's a "real" person and therefore would of known whom she was looking at? Because she was just on the phone TALKING to the narrator and if she was "real" then the narrator is who she would of been seeing and NOT Tyler, yet she sees Tyler as if he was a total stranger. Why they BOTH not have reflections from the hallway mirror while leaving the apartment?

Marla doesn't exist. She is the contrast of Tyler. Simple as that.

andre patton

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SoCal
I've only read a handful of posts in this thread.

But, @gluvnast , is there ANY people in the movie you are 100% convinced are real? Besides the narrator? Or is your argument everyone in the movie just a figment of the narrators imagination?

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
I was going to make a thread on how-

This dude created a underground fight club-BY BEATING HIMSELF UP!!

Im trying to figure how was he able to convince people to fight each other, when he's punching himself in the face...:whoo:
me too... what kind of nikka walks out the bar, sees some white guy punching and throwing himself around... then literally raises his hand and asks, "can i have next?"

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

But, @gluvnast , is there ANY people in the movie you are 100% convinced are real? Besides the narrator? Or is your argument everyone in the movie just a figment of the narrators imagination?

Yes. I am convinced that his boss is real. I am also convince the detective is real. The only people I don't believe are real are Tyler, Marla, and the Space Monkeys (members of fight club).

chosenaledge13

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Adamsville/ATL
me too... what kind of nikka walks out the bar, sees some white guy punching and throwing himself around... then literally raises his hand and asks, "can i have next?"

This is pretty much how cults are started. Some people just want to follow someone with strong ideals that will give them an alternative/outlet to the lives they lead, no matter how insane (shown throughout history). It started with a few guys that were at a shytty bar, intoxicated, late at night, alone. The perfect people to influence with a new way of approaching life, and a community to call their own...

He Who Posts Well

Superstar
Daps
Marla wasn't real?

A4GpHfY.gif

Majestyx

Duck Season
Daps
Reppin
Los Scandalous

all of it is in his head is one theory.

the one i fukked with is tyler wasnt real, neither were any of the people in the club.

swampfox

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Who else ASIDE from members of Project Mayhem to whom I already proven were figments of the narrator's imagination did Marla interact with? Those are the same guys that interacted with Tyler TOO. Also, why are you acting like the narrator doesn't play out his actions through Tyler and Tyler interacts with real people too, like with the mob boss for example? So her getting money from the the lady at the thrift store means nothing, especially she never actually SPOKE to the lady.

Not to mention the when the apartment scene, and I stated this out earlier as to why she's not real, because this was the more damning. FIRST AND FOREMOST, how did Tyler (the narrator) knew where she LIVED. She only gave out her number, nothing about her address. 2ND of all, she was counting down to TEN and Tyler was able to get from the house on Paper Street which was stated being miles away from everything to HER apartment in LESS THAN 10 SECONDS FLAT. Who made the phone call for the police of a possible suicide? How'd would anyone ELSE know she took pills that COINCIDENTALLY are the same pills that the narrator was given to by his doctor at the beginning of the movie? How did Marla NOT recognize Tyler if she's a "real" person and therefore would of known whom she was looking at? Because she was just on the phone TALKING to the narrator and if she was "real" then the narrator is who she would of been seeing and NOT Tyler, yet she sees Tyler as if he was a total stranger. Why they BOTH not have reflections from the hallway mirror while leaving the apartment?

Marla doesn't exist. She is the contrast of Tyler. Simple as that.

The whole movie is a figment of his imagination. It even starts out with along with the credits, brain nerves, cells, etc leading out of a body to the opening scene with the gun in his mouth. You could say nothing was real in the whole movie. My point is that she was real to him, unlike Tyler, whom he decided was not real to him anymore. Either way this "masterpiece" is the epitome of a mind fukk.

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The whole movie is a figment of his imagination. It even starts out with along with the credits, brain nerves, cells, etc leading out of a body to the opening scene with the gun in his mouth. You could say nothing was real in the whole movie. My point is that she was real to him, unlike Tyler, whom he decided was not real to him anymore. Either way this "masterpiece" is the epitome of a mind fukk.

I can ride with that.... I took it as a metaphor of him accepting who he is (Marla) rather than who he wanted to be (Tyler).

The ending still weak to me UNLESS he actually did commit suicide and the last part was nothing but his last thoughts before the film cuts out....

jerkdarden

Rookie
Daps