Film Room's Top 10 Movies of 2017 - we have a winner!

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
The film checks all the boxes of typical Oscar bait fluff. It has some combination of every cliche Oscar film you can think of.

If you didn't like the film you would be saying the same thing,but you do,so instead it has heart and soul. I'm sure it's heart and soul being exactly the stuff the academy drools on themselves for is just a coincidence.:skip:,

You see heart and soul, I see a cynical awards grab of a film. :hubie:

Im just calling a spade a spade. If you want to romanticize this film the way academy members romanticize the period it's set in have at it.
I could not disagree more breh. This was a FANTASY film and outside of LOTR fantasy never wins or gets nominated for shyt.

You're talking like this is The Theory of Everything.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
I'm going to break my own rule and consider Paddington 2 a 2018 movie. If Weinstein had not delayed it's release stateside it would hands down be my #1.

I think Coco is gonna make my 10 but I just finished it so I gotta sleep on what gets pushed out.

1. Logan
2. Dunkirk
3. The Shape of Water
4. War for the Planet of the Apes
5. Get Out
6. Blade Runner 2049
7. Lady Bird
8. I, Tonya
9. Coco
10. Mudbound

HM:
[spoiler
Wind River
John Wick 2
Call me By Your Name
Brawl in Cell Block 99[/spoiler]

Last edited:

StraxStrax

I'm selling these fine leather jackets
Daps
Good action flick, expanded the character and the world of a character I love, and felt like a logical progression from the first one. I don't think it's as good as the first movie, but it's still very good and gave me exactly what I wanted from a sequel. It went bigger without becoming a parody and set up the stakes for the next movie

I just finished watching it.
fukk John Wick 2.

StraxStrax

Daps
Sounds like a personal problem to me homie

8TLLWmW.gif

I'm writing in the John Wick 2 thread.:ufdup:

StraxStrax

Daps
It was a low key terrible film. Probably my biggest disappointment of last year.

I loved the first one, was in my 10 of that year but this film wasn't a disappointment to me. There was 0 need for a sequel and the moment they set it up in the trailers much of the plot would be centered around the assassin guild I knew it would be bad, and I was right. They took all the cool lore shyt in the first movie and made it lame.

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
I loved the first one, was in my 10 of that year but this film wasn't a disappointment to me. There was 0 need for a sequel and the moment they set it up in the trailers much of the plot would be centered around the assassin guild I knew it would be bad, and I was right. They took all the cool lore shyt in the first movie and made it lame.
That's exactly how I feel. Having the world and lore presented without any real explanation in the first was great. This film decided to go all out into the world and it was just goofy and parody. And honestly,John himself is not really an interesting character. He was fine for 1 film because he was just an unstoppable beast and that's all that was needed but having a 2nd film exposed how shallow everything is. :yeshrug: