YouTube giving up the paid subscription game. Future Originals will be free by 2020.

AB Ziggy

Banned
Daps

YouTube Originals to be free by 2020, supported by ads

Posted: 28 Nov 2018, 11:25 , by
showimage.php
Alan Friedman

ShareTweetShare
Tags : iOSAndroidAppsGoogleAs noted this morning by Variety, YouTube is going to make its original programming free by 2020. The shows will be supported by ads. Until then, YouTube will offer both free originals and other programming that will be available only to paid Premium subscribers. For example, to view the second season of Cobra Kai next year, users will still need to subscribe to YouTube Premium.
But this will change in 2020 when YouTube offers its original programming free to the nearly 2 billion people globally that use the YouTube streaming video site/app. Part of the reason for the switch is to help show creators, writers, actors and others reach a larger audience.
"As we look to 2019, we will continue to invest in scripted programming and shift to make our YouTube Originals ad supported to meet the growing demand of a more global fanbase. This next phase of our originals strategy will expand the audience of our YouTube Original creators, and provide advertisers with incredible content that reaches the YouTube generation."-YouTube
Since YouTube doesn't have as large a budget for originals as competitors like Netflix and Amazon, it has relied on programming staring YouTube "stars." This helped create demand for YouTube's own programming, which has led the Google owned video streamer to add new shows like Cobra Kai.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I pay for YouTube Premium. It’s one of the best $10 per month subscriptions I have.

That being said, I have no interest in their original content. I just like never having ads with the videos I watch. :Baby1:
I sub to everything under the sun on the video streaming circuit. HBO, Showtime, Starz, Epix, Cinemax, Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Crunchyroll via VRV. I've never even considered subbing to YouTube. They don't have a single program I've ever wanted and it's mostly a bunch of amateurs making that content. I just skip the ads that I don't wanna see and keep it moving.

Lord Beasley

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
469 x 972 x 702
I sub to everything under the sun on the video streaming circuit. HBO, Showtime, Starz, Epix, Cinemax, Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Crunchyroll via VRV. I've never even considered subbing to YouTube. They don't have a single program I've ever wanted and it's mostly a bunch of amateurs making that content. I just skip the ads that I don't wanna see and keep it moving.
lebrons documentary is fire tho. i watched that shyt during a premium trial :lolbron:

Why-Fi

gnap
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
gnap
it’s not all amateur shyt. cobra kai is on there and lifelines produced by the rock, for example