YOUR WORK OUT SEQUENCE IS AS IMPORTANT AS THE ACTUAL WORK OUT

thekyuke

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yes,this seems like a Captain Obvious thread but its not. In the gym just like in life we do whats most convenient,no matter how unsuccessful it may be-we form habits which become patterns. We do the same things because they have become ingrained routines.
The past 3 years I've had a cardio heavy workout. First 30-40 minutes on the treadmill or stairs running,stretch then bench. I couldn't even approach my bodyweight-it was embarrassing! Especially when in the mid 90s I managed to peak at 130 kgs but then stopped- at the time I was only benching and doing pushups.
3 weeks ago I was in a rush. I did a 5 minute warm up then hit the bench-and was shocked! I easily added 5 kgs to my usual weight. The earth tilted and I realised the source of my years of bench frustration-my arse was simply to tired from heavy cardio to immediately lift heavy.
Lesson being? Dudes,if you're not making the gains you want though you're doing everything right,look at the sequence of your normal routine. Finally,within a couple of months I expect to hit my peak.

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
I guess it depends on each persons goals.

Big picture I want the amount I lift to increase so everything is focused on that. Cardio is secondary, I rarely have time to do it after anyway.

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
Yea I learned this a few months ago. I used to do cardio as the first thing I do when I work out. But once I really got into lifting, I wasn't seeing much results, so I decide to split the two on different days and got very nice results from the change.

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
Might as well shorten rest periods and knock out cardio that way but to each his own.