You thought it was Microsoft, but it was Sony all along (Discord partnership)

Rice N Beans

Junior Hayley Stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, IL
Sell for what?

To relieve themselves of needing to create revenue streams and upkeep costs, without walling off features for payment.

The thing is Discord was already getting deep in the red for cash before they got the big user boom. Unless they have a viable money plan nobody is aware of, it makes no sense to not sell if their troubles continued. I highly doubt Nitro and server boosting is keeping them afloat.

Going public sounds iffy to me (as its a mostly free service) but I mean, everything was there with MS. Everything from the servers to development was going to get taken care of.

drifter

Superstar
Daps
To relieve themselves of needing to create revenue streams and upkeep costs, without walling off features for payment.

The thing is Discord was already getting deep in the red for cash before they got the big user boom. Unless they have a viable money plan nobody is aware of, it makes no sense to not sell if their troubles continued. I highly doubt Nitro and server boosting is keeping them afloat.

Going public sounds iffy to me (as its a mostly free service) but I mean, everything was there with MS. Everything from the servers to development was going to get taken care of.

I'm sure they factored all of that and felt Sony's offer was the most conducive to their long term plans for the platform.

We should all know by now "free" isn't actually free, Facebook is free but has multiple streams of income. They can (if they don't already) sell data just the same and even come up with extra account perks, especially when there isn't a competitor readily available. You can wall off features when you're the main player and those features are seen as worth it.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Cool for people that like it.:yeshrug:

Microsoft shills sure are quiet after saying this was gonna be a gamer changer though. :sas2:

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Cool for people that like it.:yeshrug:

Microsoft shills sure are quiet after saying this was gonna be a gamer changer though. :sas2:
Sony needed this more than Microsoft, sonys chat sucks.

It's a really good move for them going forward.

This was only going to be a huge deal if it would have been fully intergraded with xbox and pc instead of partly like it is now.

capblk

Rookie
Daps
The most interesting detail in all of this is that Discord approached Microsoft. I do look forward to seeing how this is implemented on PS.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Sell for what? Like you said we don't know the details of this deal, if Sony got in the ball park for only a partnership I ain't giving up ownership of shyt lol

Go public and let the stock market gamblers and Sony help you with the bills, figure out what's next right after. I thought they should've sold too when the MS news first came but keeping ownership and still cashing out is like a dream scenario unless you just want to leave lol

Qft on bolded

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Sony needed this more than Microsoft, sonys chat sucks.

It's a really good move for them going forward.

This was only going to be a huge deal if it would have been fully intergraded with xbox and pc instead of partly like it is now.
The party system sucks?

Rice N Beans

Junior Hayley Stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, IL
I'm sure they factored all of that and felt Sony's offer was the most conducive to their long term plans for the platform.

We should all know by now "free" isn't actually free, Facebook is free but has multiple streams of income. They can (if they don't already) sell data just the same and even come up with extra account perks, especially when there isn't a competitor readily available. You can wall off features when you're the main player and those features are seen as worth it.

They do third party stuff with data already.

I guess I'm more intrigued than anything. :jbhmm: Last time I saw money and Discord it was "find a buyer yesterday" levels of bad. Brand presence is definitely there but, something has to keep the lights on you know.

Maybe the partnership is covering something major and there's MS in the cut to match features if it came down to it. Maybe not 10b one time, but millions from both, and reoccurring. The only thing I can come up with.