You Atheists, Do yOu believe in the Supernatural/Unseen?

ugksam

The White King TuT
Daps
ive never met a black person in my life that didn't believe in ghosts

semtex

:)
Daps
we can only see like 1 percent of the electromagnetic spectrum or some shyt so yeah.

the cac mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
im an atheist, but when i say that, it means that i dont believe in any of the gods that a human told me about. if you cant see that these religions are manmade stories designed to control people by keeping them in fear of punishment from the sky, youre a fool

if theres a god, its way beyond our comprehension

JuvenileHell

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
im an atheist, but when i say that, it means that i dont believe in any of the gods that a human told me about. if you cant see that these religions are manmade stories designed to control people by keeping them in fear of punishment from the sky, youre a fool

Pretty much, especially the bolded. I doubt we'll even get within a couple fathoms of understanding God (Much less knowing what/who it is) in any of our lifetimes.

Berniewood Hogan

IT'S BERNIE SANDERS WITH A STEEL CHAIR!
Daps
Reppin
nWg
do they actually have a label for people who classify self as atheist or agnostic but still believe in the supernatural/spirit world?
THOSE LABELS ARE BOTH SUITABLE FOR A PERSON WHO BELIEVES IN SUPERNATURAL PHENOMENA IN GENERAL, BROTHER! ATHEISM AND AGNOSTICISM PERTAIN STRICTLY TO THE QUESTION OF GOD OR GODS, DUDE!

or is that just tossed under the wide spectrum of metaphysics?
METAPHYSICS ISN'T REALLY ABOUT THAT, MEAN GENE!

Daps

Pretty much, especially the bolded. I doubt we'll even get within a couple fathoms of understanding God (Much less knowing what/who it is) in any of our lifetimes.

:ehh:Fair assessment.

Question. How do you feel about the premise that this "God" (whoever/whatever it may be) may at some time made contact in some form with mankind? (thereby planting a seed and setting it in motion).

JuvenileHell

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL

:ehh:Fair assessment.

Question. How do you feel about the premise that this "God" (whoever/whatever it may be) may at some time made contact in some form with mankind? (thereby planting a seed and setting it in motion).

Hm...

you mean like, "God" shows up and tells us that "Hey, I'm the entity that put you guys here, and I can prove it?" and then "proves" it? (Doing miraculous things)

Or "God" starts trolling us from afar by initiating events and lead to occurences never seen before by mankind?

If it's the former then, I dunno. Not sure about that one. Why would he? What reason would he have to interact with us now? Why not before? Even if that is the case, we can't really know until he actually shows up. Not much more I can say about that.

The latter encourages even more skepticism... it's pretty much leads to the age old "how do we know it's God, doing these things?" and so on.

The only thing I can really say is that, just things happening out of the ordinary isn't really enough. Things that were once considered "supernatural" to us, have been studied, and understood and even to an extent harnessed and used for our benefit.

Now if things happen out of the ordinary, and this being appears and shows us that it is the one behind all of these things, and that he himself is above and beyond everything, that would be a bit more convincing tbh.

Yeah I know, boils down to "I'll believe it when I see it" but that's my take really ^^

SemiEnlightenedBum

The Project's Manly P Hall
Resting in Peace
Daps
Reppin
I'm Hard Like D-Block Readin The Book Of Enoch...
METAPHYSICS ISN'T REALLY ABOUT THAT, MEAN GENE!

Definition of METAPHYSICS
a (1) : a division of philosophy that is concerned with the fundamental nature of reality and being and that includes ontology, cosmology, and often epistemology (2) : ontology 2

b: abstract philosophical studies : a study of what is outside objective experience

:ufdup:

if only your moms had trolled on the day of your inception

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
There's no such thing as "the Supernatural".

There are only natural things that we can explain, and natural things we can't explain yet.

As far as ghosts/spirits... :childplease:

Berniewood Hogan

IT'S BERNIE SANDERS WITH A STEEL CHAIR!
Daps
Reppin
nWg
Definition of METAPHYSICS
a (1) : a division of philosophy that is concerned with the fundamental nature of reality and being and that includes ontology, cosmology, and often epistemology (2) : ontology 2

b: abstract philosophical studies : a study of what is outside objective experience

WHERE IS OUR DISAGREEMENT, BROTHER? PHILOSOPHICAL STUDY IS NOT THE SAME THING AS SIMPLY HOLDING A BELIEF IN SOMETHING, DUDE! FOR EXAMPLE, BEING A SPIRITUALIST DOES NOT QUALIFY A PERSON AS A METAPHYSICIST, MEAN GENE!

Daps
Hm...

you mean like, "God" shows up and tells us that "Hey, I'm the entity that put you guys here, and I can prove it?" and then "proves" it? (Doing miraculous things)

Im really just working off the possibility that if there is a God (a God that is far beyond any human comprehension) that he may have contacted us, (at a time in human history he deemed effective), in a way percievable by our human scope.

Or "God" starts trolling us from afar by initiating events and lead to occurences never seen before by mankind?

If it's the former then, I dunno. Not sure about that one. Why would he? What reason would he have to interact with us now? Why not before? Even if that is the case, we can't really know until he actually shows up. Not much more I can say about that.

Contacted us for his purpose and his only. Put certain energies in motion for his purpose and his purpose only. Can the pot say to the potter, why have you made me as such? His reasoning we can and may not ever understand, just as a dog in his limited understanding will never understand why a human keeps him on a leash.

Contacted us to worship him, or whatever, no, i wont go that far, but at least contacted us in a way he specifically knew we could perceive.

I just want to engage in a discussion defining the views of those athiests/agnostics who dont totally and utterly cast out the possibility of an conscious entity so far high and beyond human comprehension.

JuvenileHell

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Im really just working off the possibility that if there is a God (a God that is far beyond any human comprehension) that he may have contacted us, (at a time in human history he deemed effective), in a way percievable by our human scope.

Ah I see. Fair enough. And to be straight with you I don't deny the possibility of there being a creator beyond our comprehension. I just do't really buy the current er...suggestions as to who this guy is, his personality and so on.

On a side note: I find it sorta funny that pretty much most of the "candidates" that humans have come up with over the centuries are a lot like us, at the very least in character. With the major differences being in well overall capabilities (Doing godly things like sending lightning bolts or guiding the dead to the afterlife).

Feels so..."manmade" rather than something that is really outside of our understanding. God feels jealousy, lust, anger some even engage in acts of debauchery on the regular (Like Zeus lol). Stuff that we can relate to.

But then again, this line of thinking isn't exactly good. I'm basically trying to define God, which is silly :D Just figured that a God that is beyond our understanding shouldn't be so similar to us in terms of character, or personality. Sorta means we can understand him/her/it to an extent.

The thing is that it's hard to determine if any of the odd events that occured in the past was actually God trying to commmunicate with us. Can you give me an example of what you're talking about? Are you referring to an event that already occured, or a hypothetical one?

Contacted us for his purpose and his only. Put certain energies in motion for his purpose and his purpose only. Can the pot say to the potter, why have you made me as such? His reasoning we can and may not ever understand, just as a dog in his limited understanding will never understand why a human keeps him on a leash.

Contacted us to worship him, or whatever, no, i wont go that far, but at least contacted us in a way he specifically knew we could perceive.

I get what you're saying, and I suppose this goes without saying as well, being that of course he'll have his reasons. So I don't have any issue with this part.

I just want to engage in a discussion defining the views of those athiests/agnostics who dont totally and utterly cast out the possibility of an conscious entity so far high and beyond human comprehension.

I think that we agree that, there's no reason to deny the possibility of there being a a creator beyond what we understand. Atheism is basically this really, atheists don't deny the possibility of their being a creator, they just don't believe in the explanations and reasoning put forward by the many religions that exist when it comes to creation and the purpose of mankind's existence. basically.

So I ask, do you subscribe to a particular religion? If not, then there isn't much more left to say here really, because we're on the same page :D