yasiin bey - The New Danger 20th Anniversary

straightcash

All Star
Daps
it definitely wasn't well received album in real time and he threw people for a loop with the Blues and Rock songs on it
it's almost like the Ilmatic syndrome. people wanted Black On Both Sides Part 2 and yasiin was like "i made that album already, im doing something different"

recovered according to who tho? that's the thing w/ an artist like yasiin. he marches to the beat of his own drum,

i don't think he's concerned with trying to live up to someone else's definition of "recovered". he does what moves him and does what comes natural
but for the sake of conversation, The Ecstatic was viewed by many people as a "comeback" album

Didn't Yasiin Bey release an album through museums and it wasn't released on streaming platforms or physicals?

nose hair

Veteran
Daps
This should have been a project under another name. Maybe released it under the Black Jack Johnson band name.

yup, look at my post right above your post

i think what happened was the Black Jack Johnson songs that were for their album, got placed on yasiin's album

i bet the label scrapped or shelved the album and to make sure the songs didn't just get lost completely in the sauce, yasiin made sure they made it on his album to salvage some of the songs.

nose hair

Veteran
Daps
Didn't Yasiin Bey release an album through museums and it wasn't released on streaming platforms or physicals?

yeah, he did. that's the album, Negus

straightcash

All Star
Daps
yeah, he did. that's the album, Negus

That was December 2019. Did it ever get released commercially after that?

nose hair

Veteran
Daps
i think Sunshine and Close Edge are the only two songs from the album he performed on any tv show in support of the album

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
I still have a love/hate thing going on with this album.

And it's mostly because of the production. Minnesota is my dude, but there's no way he should've had that much of a presence on the beats for this. Mos went from Ali Shaheed Muhammad, Premier, Diamond D, and Ayatollah, to self-producing and letting Minnesota call the shots on production. I think that's what killed this project.

The Ecstatic was brilliant, a few years later. I feel like that was the last time Mos sounded like he was rocking at his potential. That album and BOBS are both classics for me.

nose hair

Veteran
Daps
I still have a love/hate thing going on with this album.

And it's mostly because of the production. Minnesota is my dude, but there's no way he should've had that much of a presence on the beats for this. Mos went from Ali Shaheed Muhammad, Premier, Diamond D, and Ayatollah, to self-producing and letting Minnesota call the shots on production. I think that's what killed this project.

The Ecstatic was brilliant, a few years later. I feel like that was the last time Mos sounded like he was rocking at his potential. That album and BOBS are both classics for me.

i can understand that.

i really think when Rawkus shelved Black Jack Johnson's Black b*stard album, yasiin just took whatever songs they had completed and put them on his album

it was a brave move and although it didn't really connect like im sure he hoped it would, i think he can be happy with himself that he followed his heart

for an artist like yasiin, i think he ain't at peace with himself unless he does it 100% the way he envisions his music.

The Ecstatic; i agree. over the years, that's become my favorite yasiin bey album. that's him at his peak and in his element from start to finish

there's always been this trajectory to where he is now as an artist, meaning. this insistence from him to do this own his own terms and i think we've seen that with each and every album/project he releases.

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
i can understand that.

i really think when Rawkus shelved Black Jack Johnson's Black b*stard album, yasiin just took whatever songs they had completed and put them on his album

it was a brave move and although it didn't really connect like im sure he hoped it would, i think he can be happy with himself that he followed his heart

for an artist like yasiin, i think he ain't at peace with himself unless he does it 100% the way he envisions his music.

The Ecstatic; i agree. over the years, that's become my favorite yasiin bey album. that's him at his peak and in his element from start to finish

there's always been this trajectory to where he is now as an artist, meaning. this insistence from him to do this own his own terms and i think we've seen that with each and every album/project he releases.

I think that was what happened back then. He had made mad random songs and then just threw whatever together as an album. Pretty sure I read that in The Source or XXL when this dropped.

I f*cking love The Ecstatic. I thought that was gonna be the one that got him motivated again, to keep dropping consistently. I was wrong, lol.

nose hair

Veteran
Daps
I think that was what happened back then. He had made mad random songs and then just threw whatever together as an album. Pretty sure I read that in The Source or XXL when this dropped.

I f*cking love The Ecstatic. I thought that was gonna be the one that got him motivated again, to keep dropping consistently. I was wrong, lol.

yeah, that Black Jack Johnson album was suppose to be released like in 2002 but then Rawkus/MCA sheleved it and only wanted another yasiin album

from his stand point, he remained loyal to his band and added the songs they had to his solo album

yeah, The Ecstatic is brilliant. honestly, it's my favorite hip hop album. i think he sounded "motivated" again because he was on a new label w/ a fresh start

then after The Ecstatic outside of the features he was on, i think he became more displeased, frustrated and disillusioned with the business and strived for more freedom because then we got the retirement announcement from him along with a "final" album to be released which was Dec 99th album in 2016

Dec 99th (the one and only album of yasiin's (duo album w/Ferrari Shephard) that album threw me for a loop, lol in 2016.

following the announcement of the "final" album in 2016, he mentioned his Negus album (visual art album) and As Promised album with Mannie Fresh

then in 2018 he spoke on the Black Star album (no fear of time) which he we finally got in 2022

i hope he releases the Mannie Fresh album, As Promised someday.

i remember in an interview he said he got some songs w/ DOOM too.

Superstar
Daps
I was gifted this album the day it released. I resolved to hate it after hearing the second song, but liked a few other songs.

Never listened to it fully until recently. Aside from the second track (I HATE metal) I enjoyed the rest of the album. I feel it flows pretty smoothly outside of “freak black greetings”.

It also has some really timeless songs. I normally don’t like rock and rap mixing but I feel it was done really well here. It wasn’t him rapping/singing over rock songs (except track 2), most of the album was straight up classic NYC rap over soul/jazz samples or rap with some funk elements.

Last edited: