yasiin bey - The New Danger 20th Anniversary

nose hair

Veteran
Daps

the album was released in October of 2004, but i was just listening to this album a week ago when i was traveling and i got to thinking about when this album came out:wow:

nose hair

Veteran
Daps
Took me a time to like this album but I do...mostly.

yeah, that's how it was for a lot of people i knew at the time

he had the difficult task of making a worthy follow up album after dropping a classic album.

im glad he yasiin didn't think twice and went with his gut instinct and just followed his heart and stayed true to himself with this album.

nose hair

Veteran
Daps
Let’s be real here. Almost no one liked this album in real time and Mos Defs career never recovered. He had all the momentum in the world after Black Star and BOBS and this album killed it all.

it definitely wasn't well received album in real time and he threw people for a loop with the Blues and Rock songs on it

it's almost like the Ilmatic syndrome. people wanted Black On Both Sides Part 2 and yasiin was like "i made that album already, im doing something different"

recovered according to who tho? that's the thing w/ an artist like yasiin. he marches to the beat of his own drum,

i don't think he's concerned with trying to live up to someone else's definition of "recovered". he does what moves him and does what comes natural

but for the sake of conversation, The Ecstatic was viewed by many people as a "comeback" album

Ziploc

Celestial
Daps
Yassin is one of the rare few in this genre but when this came out it wasn't received that well. I feel the motivation behind this album was a 50/50 between artistic expression and a complete disgust of the label politics and creative compromising. He didn't want to play the game and he never looked back from that point on.

Da_Eggman

Can't trust every face you gotta watch em
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
So-Fla
The last thing he did that was any good

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
inconsistent, disjointed project with minimal moments of brilliance.

i'd even call it a sophomore jinx album. there are good songs to be had here but i wouldn't call it a good album. as albums go it's suffering major identity crisis.

The ecstatic was a worthier follow up to BOBS. this was trying to be experimental but coming off contrived

nose hair

Veteran
Daps
Yassin is one of the rare few in this genre but when this came out it wasn't received that well. I feel the motivation behind this album was a 50/50 between artistic expression and a complete disgust of the label politics and creative compromising. He didn't want to play the game and he never looked back from that point on.

bingo!

that's exactly what i think it was. it was his "fukk you" album. doing exactly what he wanted to do on his own terms

also, Black Jack Johnson was supposed to be dropping an album on Rawkus originally and i think when that album got halted or scrapped, and we got the songs from that project on this album

*edit

i just found this old article from 2001 where yasiin talks about rock bands (ex: Limp Bizkit and KORN) that flirt with hip hop and hip hop groups that sort of just flirt with rock but never really go full steam ahead.

“In my estimation, there’s a lot of rock bands sort of just fiddling with hip-hop, and a lot of hip-hop bands sort of fiddling with rock,” Mos Def told Billboard.com as the band was wrapping up recording of its debut Rawkus album, due out sometime next year. “I don’t want to fiddle, you know? I mean, I listen to Black Sabbath and Bad Brains and, you know, Fugazi and Pantera. I’m looking for something that is rocking along those lines, that’s just got some teeth to it. I don’t want to do something that’s sugary or glamorous.” - yasiin bey