Y'all heard about ChatGPT yet? AI instantly generates question answers, entire essays etc.

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
How did you go about that? Did you just copy and paste it in there then ask it to help or what was the process? I'm starting grad school and working full time so I'm gonna need some help.
Yeah like @bnew mentioned, there is no way for them to tell if it's A.I generated. Make sure you run it through any plagiarism checks though.

Additionally, I've seen it completely make up sources though, so make sure to check those as well. Like it will legit notate something in APA-style format, with a complete link and everything - except that link doesn't exist and no such article was ever written. So like @Jimmy from Linkedin, I've seen the same exact thing.

I've even tried uploading a PDF to the new Code Interpreter (so it can read files) and it completely made the summary up, like it didn't even bother reading the material. Try uploading a chapter from a book for example and ask it to summarize, it'll make a lot of shyt up sometimes.

A great way to use it would be to write something, then have ChatGPT either fill in the rest, extend it or word it differently to make it sound more professional.

Last edited:

Red11

Pro
Supporter
Daps
A great way to use it would be to write something, then have ChatGPT either fill in the rest, extend it or word it differently to make it sound more professional.

I use it for this in the corporate environment. Like a Luther anger translator. I even tell it the tone.

Guvnor

Da Speculative Spectacle®
Daps
Reppin
BKLYN
yeah you don't want to end up like this guy.
Lmao he didn't cite anything? It's like he didn't even read that shyt. That's a fact man I'll definitely have to be careful if I use it.

ChatGPT is basically a very advanced pattern matcher. I asked it once for some books by some black psychoanalysts. It gave me five authors and book titles. Two of those authors existed, one was a white guy who was not a psychoanalyst and the other book was black skin white masks. When I really looked at it, the pattern it matched was derivatives of black skin white masks, eg, The Child In The Storm: Perceptions of Black Male Agression in White America.

When I read the citations I was ready to clean my wallet out and really understood. You can ask ChatGPT to help you format stuff, help you synthesize an understanding of the material, but it cannot find stuff for you. Thats all you. Copy and paste the articles and the sections and use different plugins (ChatGPT+) so that you can "Chat with the PDF", and that is how you can research with ChatGPT.

But if you want the understanding you entered grad school to get. Still gotta wear down that proverbial shoe leather my g :ufdup:
What if you used the term "African American" instead of black?

Though I get your point and appreciate you sharing your insight. With that said, what is chat pdf?

Also what are some ways it can help you synthesize an understanding of the material or format ideas? Can it help with building an outline for instance?

bnew

Veteran
Daps
Lmao he didn't cite anything? It's like he didn't even read that shyt. That's a fact man I'll definitely have to be careful if I use it.

Though I get your point and appreciate you sharing your insight. With that said, what is chat pdf?

Also what are some ways it can help you synthesize an understanding of the material or format ideas? Can it help with building an outline for instance?

it think it's possible with code interpreter.

Jimmy from Linkedin

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Managing Director at Breh & Breh, Inc

1st bolded: It wouldn't have mattered because honestly, the books im asking about dont exist yet. There aren't many black psychoanalysts in general and those that are haven't published books. Fanon isn't even one. That being said, it also wouldn't have mattered because you can't trust its references because it is going to match patterns.

2nd bolded: As for your second to last question, dive into it bro. Ask it those questions and you'll see what it is, how it works and all that. The majority of the questions you have asked would be us in the thread saying our own version of what ChatGPT is going to say haha, your last question is yes. But work on your own to find out how. One of my PI's when i was doing molecular genetics said, keep searching, thats why we call it REsearch :ufdup:
:wow:

bnew

Veteran
Daps

Exclusive: ChatGPT traffic slips again for third month in a row​

By Anna Tong
September 7, 20232:30 PM EDT
Updated a day ago

OpenAI and ChatGPT logos are seen in this illustration taken, February 3, 2023. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/

OpenAI and ChatGPT logos are seen in this illustration taken, February 3, 2023. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration//File Photo Acquire Licensing Rights
Sept 7 (Reuters) - OpenAI's ChatGPT, the wildly popular artificial intelligence chatbot launched in November, saw monthly website visits decline for the third month in a row in August, though there are signs the decline is coming to an end, according to analytics firm Similarweb.

Worldwide desktop and mobile website visits to the ChatGPT website decreased by 3.2% to 1.43 billion in August, following approximately 10% drops from each of the previous two months. The amount of time visitors spent on the website has also been declining monthly since March, from an average of 8.7 minutes on site to 7 minutes on site in August.

But August worldwide unique visitors ticked up to 180.5 million users from 180 million.

School coming back into session in September may help ChatGPT's traffic and usage, and some schools have begun to embrace it. U.S. ChatGPT traffic in August rose slightly, in concert with American schools being back in session.

"Students seeking homework help appears to be part of the story: the percentage of younger users of the website dropped over the summer and is now starting to bounce back," said David F. Carr of Similarweb, who regularly tracks ChatGPT and its competitors.

ChatGPT set off a frenzied use of generative AI in daily tasks from editing to coding and reached 100 million monthly active users in January, two months after its launch. Generative AI technology uses past data to create new content, for instance to write essays or poems.

Before Meta’s Threads launch, it was the fastest-growing consumer application ever, and is now one of the top 30 websites in the world.

A few ChatGPT competitors, including Google's (GOOGL.O) Bard chatbot, have been launched this year. Microsoft's search engine Bing also provides a chatbot powered by OpenAI for free.

OpenAI also released the ChatGPT app on the iOS system in May, which could sap some traffic from its website. ChatGPT is free to use but also provides a premium subscription for $20 a month.

Besides ChatGPT, OpenAI makes money by selling access to its AI models for developers and enterprises directly and through a partnership with Microsoft, which invested over $10 billion into the company.

Guvnor

Da Speculative Spectacle®
Daps
Reppin
BKLYN
What would you guys recommend to summarize pdfs of scholarly articles? Ive tried Claude and it tends to hallucinate too much and completely makes up facts.

ChatPDF I ask to pull out key findings and doesn't seem to be able to do that.

bnew

Veteran
Daps
What would you guys recommend to summarize pdfs of scholarly articles? Ive tried Claude and it tends to hallucinate too much and completely makes up facts.

ChatPDF I ask to pull out key findings and doesn't seem to be able to do that.

i never tried claude ai

bard suggestion:

• Use a specific role for Claude. This means telling Claude what its purpose is, such as "you are a summarizer" or "you are a fact-checker." This will help Claude to focus on the task at hand and avoid making up information.
  • Give Claude clear instructions. Be as specific as possible when telling Claude what you want it to summarize. For example, instead of saying "summarize this article," say "summarize the main points of this article in 5 sentences."
  • Use the "let Claude say I don't know" prompt. This will allow Claude to admit when it doesn't know the answer to a question, rather than making up something.
  • Set the temperature to a low value. The temperature is a parameter that controls how creative Claude is when generating text. A lower temperature will make Claude less likely to make up information.
Here are some specific prompts that you can use with Claude AI to reduce hallucinations:

• "Summarize the main points of this article in 5 sentences."
  • "Write a factual summary of this article."
  • "Tell me the most important things I need to know from this article."
  • "Summarize this article without adding any new information."
  • "Let Claude say I don't know if it doesn't know the answer to a question."
You can also experiment with different temperature settings to see what works best for you. A good starting point is to set the temperature to 0.5. If you find that Claude is still generating hallucinations, you can try lowering the temperature further.

It's important to note that there is no foolproof way to prevent hallucinations when using Claude AI. However, by following these tips, you can reduce the likelihood of this happening.

if it makes temperature/parameter settings available to you , adjust the "Top K". to retry the same prompt to see how the results differ.

bnew

Veteran
Daps

You can now prompt ChatGPT with pictures and voice commands​

/

The super-popular AI chatbot has always just been a text box. Now it’s learning to understand your questions in new ways.​

By David Pierce, editor-at-large and Vergecast co-host with over a decade of experience covering consumer tech. Previously, at Protocol, The Wall Street Journal, and Wired.

Sep 25, 2023, 8:00 AM EDT

ChatGPT logo in minty green and black colors.

Illustration: The Verge

Most of OpenAI’s changes to ChatGPT involve what the AI-powered bot can do: questions it can answer, information it can access, and improved underlying models. This time, though, it’s tweaking the way you use ChatGPT itself. The company is rolling out a new version of the service that allows you to prompt the AI bot not just by typing sentences into a text box, but by either speaking aloud or just uploading a picture. The new features are rolling out to those who pay for ChatGPT in the next two weeks, and everyone else will get it “soon after” according to OpenAI.

The voice chat part is pretty familiar: you tap a button and speak your question, ChatGPT converts it to text and feeds it to the large language model, gets an answer back, converts that back to speech, and speaks the answer out loud. It should feel just like talking to Alexa or Google Assistant, only — OpenAI hopes — the answers will be better thanks to the improved underlying tech. It appears most virtual assistants are being rebuilt to rely on LLMs — OpenAI is just ahead of the game.

Use your voice to engage in a back-and-forth conversation with ChatGPT. Speak with it on the go, request a bedtime story, or settle a dinner table debate.

Sound on 🔊 pic.twitter.com/3tuWzX0wtS
— OpenAI (@OpenAI) September 25, 2023

OpenAI’s excellent Whisper model does a lot of the speech-to-text work, and the company is rolling out a new text-to-speech model it says can generate “human-like audio from just text and a few seconds of sample speech.” You’ll be able to choose ChatGPT’s voice from five options, but OpenAI seems to think the model has vastly more potential than that. OpenAI is working with Spotify to translate podcasts into other languages, for instance, all while keeping the sound of the podcaster’s voice. There are lots of interesting uses for synthetic voices, and OpenAI could be a big part of that industry.

But the fact that you can build a capable synthetic voice with just a few seconds of audio also opens the door for all kinds of problematic use cases. “These capabilities also present new risks, such as the potential for malicious actors to impersonate public figures or commit fraud,” the company says in a blog post announcing the new features. The model isn’t available for broad use for precisely that reason, OpenAI says: it’s going to be much more controlled and restrained to specific use cases and partnerships.

The image search, meanwhile, is a bit like Google Lens. You snap a photo of whatever you’re interested in, and ChatGPT will try to suss out what you’re asking about and respond accordingly. You can also use the app’s drawing tool to help make your query clear, or speak or type questions to go along with the image. This is where ChatGPT’s back-and-forth nature is helpful: rather than doing a search, getting the wrong answer, and then doing another search, you can prompt the bot and refine the answer as you go. (This is a lot like what Google is doing with multimodal search, too.)

Obviously, image search has its potential issues too. One is what could happen when you prompt a chatbot about a person: OpenAI says it has deliberately limited ChatGPT’s “ability to analyze and make direct statements about people” both for accuracy and privacy reasons. That means one of the most sci-fi visions for AI — the ability to look at someone and say, “Who is that?” — isn’t coming anytime soon. Which is probably a good thing.

Almost a year after ChatGPT’s initial launch, OpenAI seems to be still trying to figure out how to give its bot more features and capabilities without creating new sets of problems and downsides. With these releases, the company attempted to walk that line by deliberately capping what its new models could do. But that approach won’t work forever. As more people use voice control and image search, and as ChatGPT inches closer to being a truly multi-modal, useful virtual assistant, it’ll get harder and harder to keep the guardrails on.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Star Treks "computer" come to life.

Given enough time, science-fiction becomes science fact.

bnew

Veteran
Daps

ChatGPT users can now browse internet, OpenAI says​

Reuters

September 27, 20234:40 PM EDTUpdated 2 hours ago

OpenAI and ChatGPT logos are seen in this illustration taken, February 3, 2023. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/

OpenAI and ChatGPT logos are seen in this illustration taken, February 3, 2023. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo Acquire Licensing Rights

Sept 27 (Reuters) - ChatGPT users will now be able to surf the web, Microsoft-backed (MSFT.O) OpenAI said on Wednesday, expanding the data the viral chatbot can access beyond its earlier September 2021 cutoff.

The artificial intelligence startup said its latest browsing feature would allow websites to control how ChatGPT can interact with them.

"Browsing is available to Plus and Enterprise users today, and we'll expand to all users soon. To enable, choose Browse with Bing in the selector under GPT-4," OpenAI said in a post on social media platform X, formerly known as Twitter.

The startup also announced a major update earlier this week that would enable ChatGPT to have voice conversations with users and interact with them using images, moving it closer to popular AI assistants like Apple's (AAPL.O) Siri.

OpenAI had earlier tested a feature that allowed users to access the latest information through the Bing search engine within its premium ChatGPT Plus offering. But it later disabled it because of fears that it could allow users to bypass paywalls.

ChatGPT became the fastest-growing consumer application in history earlier this year, reaching 100 million monthly active users in January, before being supplanted by Meta's Threads app.

Its rise has driven up investor interest in OpenAI, with media including Reuters reporting on Tuesday that the startup is talking to shareholders about a possible sale of existing shares at a much higher valuation than a few months ago.

Reporting by Samrhitha Arunasalam in Bengaluru; Editing by Devika Syamnath and Pooja Desai

ChatGPT can now search the web in real time​

/

OpenAI promises up-to-date information with direct links to sources for subscribers only, but others will get the feature.​

By Wes Davis, a weekend editor who covers the latest in tech and entertainment. He has written news, reviews, and more as a tech journalist since 2020.

Sep 27, 2023, 4:38 PM EDT|
A rendition of OpenAI’s logo, which looks like a stylized whirlpool.

Illustration: The Verge

OpenAI posted today that ChatGPT can once more trawl the web for current information, offering answers taken directly from “current and authoritative” sources, which it cites in its responses. The feature, called Browse with Bing, is only open to those with Plus and Enterprise subscriptions for now, but the company says it will roll it out “to all users soon.”

Microsoft’s Bing Chat on Windows, in the Edge browser, and in third-party browser plugins could already return live information from the web, and so can Google’s Bard in Chrome and other browsers. Both also offer links when searching, as ChatGPT’s Browse with Bing feature now does. Meta just announced at Meta Connect that it will also use Bing to power real-time web results in the Meta AI Assistant it’s adding to WhatsApp, Instagram, and Messenger.

Related​

It’s a little confusing to get ChatGPT to search the web for you. The company provides instructions for the browser version, but I didn’t find the same for the iOS app. I figured it out, though. Assuming you have a subscription, it’s: three dots menu > Settings > New Features > Browse with Bing. Then, start a new chat, tap GPT-4, and “Browse with Bing.” Then your searches should return information from current websites.

It’s a little slow, but it works. And when it answers a question for you, you can click the link to the site to compare the answers. Now I know that, according to MediaMass — a website I’ve never heard of — AC/DC might be working on a new album! Given AI bots’ tendency to hallucinate, being able to check them on their sources is a huge improvement that not only means you can actually verify they’re not lying to you, but also, it’s just nice to give credit where it’s due.

A screenshot of a ChatGPT transcript.

AC/DC may or may not be working on a new album, according to sources cited by ChatGPT. Screenshot: Wes Davis / The Verge

OpenAI added the ability to browse the internet within its ChatGPT iOS app in late June but quickly pulled it. Users had figured out they could coax the chatbot into giving them otherwise paywalled content by feeding a URL directly to it. Since then, OpenAI’s automated crawler that feeds information to the model powering ChatGPT has begun identifying itself with a user agent so that sites can filter themselves out of its analysis with updates to their Robots.txt file forbidding it.

If you subscribe to one of OpenAI’s plans and want to try out the Browse with Bing feature, here are the company’s instructions:
Click on ‘Profile & Settings’

Select ‘Beta features’

Toggle on ‘Browse with Bing’

Choose Browse with Bing in the selector under GPT-4.