Xbox Won TV Features "will not require Gold membership"

Snitchin Splatter

Working With The Feds
Daps
Reppin
Confidential Informants
Certain Stanleys are always so worried about Silver members :ohhh:

Or talking about the mythical "pay wall"

Looks like this revolutionary feature will be available to all XWon users out the box. M$ does it again :wow:

http://kotaku.com/xbox-one-tv-features-might-not-require-gold-subscriptio-1233241787

It's no secret that Microsoft's messaging surrounding the Xbox One has been convoluted, and it seems even the company's own representatives don't quite have a grasp on all the console's features and policies.P

But some of the TV-related features that Microsoft previously said will require an Xbox Live Gold subscription might not after all.P

The Xbox One's "OneGuide" feature, which turns the console into an interactive and powerful cable guide, will not require a Gold subscription, Microsoft’s Xbox group Lead Planner Albert Penello reportedly told GameFront yesterday at PAX. Gold also isn't required for features that require a TV to be connected to the console via HDMI, like TV-controlling voice commands.P

OneGuide is listed on Xbox.com under the heading "Xbox Live Gold Features" alongside the console's Game DVR, NFL on Xbox, SmartMatch matchmaking, and Skype features. And if that didn't make it clear enough, I confirmed with a Microsoft spokesperson earlier this month that the list is accurate.P

So what's the deal here? Is this just another case of Microsoft's representatives being confused about the console's features, or is the company backtracking once again? I reached out to Microsoft again to get confirmation either way, and I'll update this post if I hear back.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Smart move. There's no way in hell a non-gamer would pay for Gold alongside their monthly cable bill.

Camammal

Half Man Half Mammal
Daps
Reppin
Marcy
it would be retarded if they did...but lets not speak on dumb decisions M$ has made on xbone's behalf.

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
This is great news honestly. Are they going to do this for the 360 as well? My Live membership is going to be up this month and I actually like using the ESPN/League Pass app on it for the NBA season. Would be dope if I didn't need a damn membership to use those apps.

It should be for all the streaming apps. Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Instant, HBOGO, EVERYTHING.

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
This is great news honestly. Are they going to do this for the 360 as well? My Live membership is going to be up this month and I actually like using the ESPN/League Pass app on it for the NBA season. Would be dope if I didn't need a damn membership to use those apps.

It should be for all the streaming apps. Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Instant, HBOGO, EVERYTHING.
this has been my point for years

Snitchin Splatter

Working With The Feds
Daps
Reppin
Confidential Informants
this has been my point for years

why should it be like that? because playstation offers free sub-par versions of said app?

Those app's on the xbox take developers to be made, they take up bandwith and other resources that M$ has always charged for with Xbox Live. They are also extremely optimized and run very well and need to be maintained. You pay for what you get.

Cell phones are able to offer these apps for free because the company who the app is for, are the one's developing it. They will make the money back through ad revenue and/or the subscription fee's they already charge for the use of the apps. Microsoft's own people are developing custom apps and running them on their closed ecosystem that uses their resources. This is why these apps are behind the paywall in Live

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
why should it be like that? because playstation offers free sub-par versions of said app?

Those app's on the xbox take developers to be made, they take up bandwith and other resources that M$ has always charged for with Xbox Live. They are also extremely optimized and run very well and need to be maintained. You pay for what you get.

Cell phones are able to offer these apps for free because the company who the app is for, are the one's developing it. They will make the money back through ad revenue and/or the subscription fee's they already charge for the use of the apps. Microsoft's own people are developing custom apps and running them on their closed ecosystem that uses their resources. This is why these apps are behind the paywall in Live
nah, they are just taking advantage of you guys.

Microsoft makes apps for windows phone and doesn't hide them behind a pay wall either. Explain that one genius. They tried the LIVE model on the PC and how did that go?