Xbox Stan Jeff Grubb: PlayStation’s strength is that it can do it all

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
People are pretty upset with him in the comments but he makes good points. He talks about Sony combining their tv and film division with SIE and expanding into live service games while still delivering big budget single player games. It’s a good read

But even without God of War Ragnarok coming into PS+ on day one, Sony has managed to attract 48 million subscribers to its PS+ membership program. And it has 111 million monthly active users who are spending money on games like Fortnite, Apex Legends, and more.

So while it’s easy to look from the outside and wonder how Sony is going to respond to Xbox Game Pass, the reality is that on the inside, Sony is only wondering how to grow on the success it already has.

But in a world where Google, Tencent, Amazon, and other trillion-dollar companies are eying video games, Sony’s PlayStation is still well-positioned to compete, thrive, and even come out on top.

Sony’s strength is that it has the money, expertise, and properties to take on almost any idea. And the company has already shown a willingness to put a variety of strategic pieces into place for its future.

The most important strategy for Sony is, of course, the core PlayStation business. PlayStation fans brought the company to the dance, and Sony is at no risk of abandoning them as its primary dance partner.

Sony’s Games & Network Services division generated $25 billion in revenue last year along with $2.6 billion in profit. That makes it the second-largest gaming-focused business in the world behind only China’s incomprehensibly large Tencent.

PlayStation’s first-party has a growing list of games that have sold more than 15 million copies. And it is purchasing Bungie specifically to address its need for live-service expertise.

While Microsoft continues to insist that it is competing with Amazon and Tencent, and while Nintendo is off doing its own thing, Sony continues to make all the smart moves to ensure it is going to continue its dominance of this business for this console generation and beyond.

iceberg_is_on_fire

Honolulu Blue Ski Mask Way
Daps
Reppin
Lombardi Trophies in Allen Park
Microsoft employee of the month, Jez Corden chimes in.

Sony is still in a better position to be a gaming company now. Their gravy train has been rolling since mid PS3 era. Like Jez said, Xbox was fighting Microsoft brass and now that they aren't their timeline is like at the mid PS3 era Sony. My only thing to add is that they will shorten the timeline to get it right.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Ok they can do it all. Can they give me a subscription service for $15 a month that gives me all their first party output included day 1? Screw it I would consider paying $20 a month for such a service from them.

At $20 a month that's the price of 3.5 games a year for $70. The math on that says that's about equal to buying 24.5 games over 7 years except all that money goes directly to Sony as a payment to them. That's also more than double the attach rate of the PS4's 11 game attach ratio over 7 years 2013-2020.

Dorian Breh

Veteran
Daps
Ok they can do it all. Can they give me a subscription service for $15 a month that gives me all their first party output included day 1? Screw it I would consider paying $20 a month for such a service from them.

At $20 a month that's the price of 3.5 games a year for $70. The math on that says that's about equal to buying 24.5 games over 7 years except all that money goes directly to Sony as a payment to them. That's also more than double the attach rate of the PS4's 11 game attach ratio over 7 years 2013-2020.
Where are all these first party games?

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Where are all these first party games?
One is coming out Friday. They could just change it as a flat annual fee. Let's round it up to $250 and you pay them that and get all their games and say a curated selection of indie games that they do deals with to pad our the release. fukk it make it an even $300 and throw in PS+.

Dorian Breh

Veteran
Daps
One is coming out Friday. They could just change it as a flat annual fee. Let's round it up to $250 and you pay them that and get all their games and say a curated selection of indie games that they do deals with to pad our the release. fukk it make it an even $300 and throw in PS+.
I meant Xbox, they got a new game coming this Friday?