Xbox Series X could be Microsofts last console

Brian O'Conner

All Star
Daps
With sales reports creeping in of Microsoft vastly underperforming and what looks like another gen in 3rd place behind the Nintendo and sony.Sony.

Recent studio acquisitions seem like a move into something like EA pass where Microsoft can offer big titles like halo, forza and elder scrolls across all platforms and got out hardware cost and a low attach rate to 3rd pay titles

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
wp-1490719620900.gif

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
With sales reports creeping in of Microsoft vastly underperforming and what looks like another gen in 3rd place behind the Nintendo and sony.Sony.

Recent studio acquisitions seem like a move into something like EA pass where Microsoft can offer big titles like halo, forza and elder scrolls across all platforms and got out hardware cost and a low attach rate to 3rd pay titles
You're still trying to view what Microsoft is doing through the lens of Sony or Nintendo's business model. At this point the Xbox console only exist to drive their subscription service. It will continue to exist as long as it drives subs and not because it sells more than X or Y company's platform. Microsoft ultimately wants you the consumer to perpetually spend $10-$15 a month on their service.

Sony wants you the consumer to buy multiple games that were $60 last generation and are now $70. What generation do they go $80? $90? I get that it's difficult to grasp but subscription services are the future of media. I'm not going back to buying individual movies and albums. I want a low monthly payment that grants me access to everything.

There will come a day where people are gonna say why should I pay $70 for one game when I can pay $10 or $15 a month and have an full instant library. This is literally Microsoft as Netflix and Sony as Disney playing out in the video game space but earlier days.

Microsoft is all in on their service. Sony has a service but they got one toe in and one out and they don't wanna release that old world business model. Netflix comes out with a movie and it's day one on Netflix. Disney comes out with a movie and maybe it's on Disney+ but they want you to pay an extra $30 for it and maybe it's got a 45 day window. Disney can't really compete with Netflix because they won't go all in on streaming. The numbers came out the gate strong but quickly plateaued. Arguably Disney has the better IPs than Netflix.

Netflix spent years in the trenches scaling that business and it's a machine now. Disney can't match their content even with more valuable IPs.
It's thew same tight now with Microsoft who is in the trenches scaling that business. Sony looks at that and they're like "yeah we're good with how things are right now."

So you look at Microsoft and say they're number 3 when really they're pioneering the next phase of the industry and scaling it right now. You see all these Johnny-come-lately streaming services like Peacock and Paramount+ and Disney+ they're coming out of the woodworks now. Signs of that are already showing in the video game space with EA, Ubisoft, Amazon, Google, Apple. Out of all of them Microsoft's model is the most attractive.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
the xbox will be to game pass what the fire tv stick is to prime video

there’ll always be an “xbox” if game pass becomes what they want it to imo
Thing is the Sony stans know what's up. They watched Sony in the PS2 and PS3 days scale a business.

Back in the day third parties made you exclusive blockbuster games. Sony recognized that was going away so they scaled a group of studios to make their own huge blockbuster games. That investment paid off and now people look at Microsoft who didn't and say they can't compete with them.

Now Microsoft is scaling to fill out a streaming service. The day won't be that far off when people look at the state of the market and say similar things about their competitors. These competitors aren't just gonna flip a switch and transition to the number of studios, game times, and development cycles that are gonna fill out such a service. There's going to be growing pains with that. Letting a competitor go through that now while you shrug your shoulders at it doesn't seem like a good move.

SNG

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The Series X will not be Microsofts last console. Even if they go multiplat with game pass they will still provide a console. I see them doing a full windows version pc/console type of thing before they are fully out the console game.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Thing is the Sony stans know what's up. They watched Sony in the PS2 and PS3 days scale a business.

Back in the day third parties made you exclusive blockbuster games. Sony recognized that was going away so they scaled a group of studios to make their own huge blockbuster games. That investment paid off and now people look at Microsoft who didn't and say they can't compete with them.

Now Microsoft is scaling to fill out a streaming service. The day won't be that far off when people look at the state of the market and say similar things about their competitors. These competitors aren't just gonna flip a switch and transition to the number of studios, game times, and development cycles that are gonna fill out such a service. There's going to be growing pains with that. Letting a competitor go through that now while you shrug your shoulders at it doesn't seem like a good move.

Nintendo is one thing, but Sony already has a streaming service.

Xbox has to put their AAA games on gamepass out of need. But if their competitors (esp Nintendo since they have no service) decide to go all in on streaming....guess who gets left in the dust? It ain't Sony or Nintendo.

3rd parties also don't want to do this as it severely cuts into their revenue and margins. This ain't TV or movies.

Thatrogueassdiaz

We're on the blood path now
Daps
Reppin
Center self, inner self
You're still trying to view what Microsoft is doing through the lens of Sony or Nintendo's business model. At this point the Xbox console only exist to drive their subscription service. It will continue to exist as long as it drives subs and not because it sells more than X or Y company's platform. Microsoft ultimately wants you the consumer to perpetually spend $10-$15 a month on their service.

Sony wants you the consumer to buy multiple games that were $60 last generation and are now $70. What generation do they go $80? $90? I get that it's difficult to grasp but subscription services are the future of media. I'm not going back to buying individual movies and albums. I want a low monthly payment that grants me access to everything.

There will come a day where people are gonna say why should I pay $70 for one game when I can pay $10 or $15 a month and have an full instant library. This is literally Microsoft as Netflix and Sony as Disney playing out in the video game space but earlier days.

Microsoft is all in on their service. Sony has a service but they got one toe in and one out and they don't wanna release that old world business model. Netflix comes out with a movie and it's day one on Netflix. Disney comes out with a movie and maybe it's on Disney+ but they want you to pay an extra $30 for it and maybe it's got a 45 day window. Disney can't really compete with Netflix because they won't go all in on streaming. The numbers came out the gate strong but quickly plateaued. Arguably Disney has the better IPs than Netflix.

Netflix spent years in the trenches scaling that business and it's a machine now. Disney can't match their content even with more valuable IPs.
It's thew same tight now with Microsoft who is in the trenches scaling that business. Sony looks at that and they're like "yeah we're good with how things are right now."

So you look at Microsoft and say they're number 3 when really they're pioneering the next phase of the industry and scaling it right now. You see all these Johnny-come-lately streaming services like Peacock and Paramount+ and Disney+ they're coming out of the woodworks now. Signs of that are already showing in the video game space with EA, Ubisoft, Amazon, Google, Apple. Out of all of them Microsoft's model is the most attractive.
I thought their game pass numbers had stalled?

Brian O'Conner

All Star
Daps
Still spouting lies I see, Microsoft hiding those gamepass numbers like a pimple :mjlol:

Microsoft has reportedly been sustaining Xbox Game Pass without registering any profits since the subscription-based service was launched nearly four years ago.

Taking to Twitter earlier today, The Verge editor Tom Warren explained that the revenue obtained through millions of subscriptions is not enough to balance out the cost incurred in terms of acquiring new games and publishing deals, general investments, and such.

Not to mention the upkeep cost of hosting Xbox Game Pass across the world on multiple platforms. The highly popular subscription-based service hence continues to post losses but which Microsoft expects to turn around in the future.

Xbox Game Pass Reportedly Yet To Post Profits

Brian O'Conner

All Star
Daps

:mjlol: