WTF Happened To The American Animation Industry?

bogey_j

new love, same neurosis..
Daps
why don't these new shows put any effort into animation quality anymore? I was watching this show called highschool USA and just had to :scusthov: at the quality of work here

stuff like highschool USA, archer, my little pony and adult swim stoner cartoons like squidbillies, aqua teen hunger force, metalocalypse, venture bros, etc. are glorified flash animations. in terms of animation quality, I was watching better stuff in 2003 on newgrounds (with 1 guy doing all the animating no less). nowadays the stuff on newgrounds blows away most if not all of these new age cartoons (even more detailed shyt like adventure time), and that stuff doesn't even have any budgets, its just animators working in their free time.

these new age 'flash' cartoons are a disgrace. I hate how theyre purposely animated badly under the guise of 'stoner comedies' so they can work with shoestring budgets while simultaneously getting hipster cred. fukk that shyt. off the top, the last american cartoon with any effort put into it was the boondocks

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
why don't these new shows put any effort into animation quality anymore? I was watching this show called highschool USA and just had to :scusthov: at the quality of work here

stuff like highschool USA, archer, my little pony and adult swim stoner cartoons like squidbillies, aqua teen hunger force, metalocalypse, venture bros, etc. are glorified flash animations. in terms of animation quality, I was watching better stuff in 2003 on newgrounds (with 1 guy doing all the animating no less). nowadays the stuff on newgrounds blows away most if not all of these new age cartoons (even more detailed shyt like adventure time), and that stuff doesn't even have any budgets, its just animators working in their free time.

these new age 'flash' cartoons are a disgrace. I hate how theyre purposely animated badly under the guise of 'stoner comedies' so they can work with shoestring budgets while simultaneously getting hipster cred. fukk that shyt. off the top, the last american cartoon with any effort put into it was the boondocks

:childplease: Archer is by far and away better than anything you grouped it with, stylistically and otherwise.

The Phoenix

All Star
Supporter
Daps

I agree with you for the most part, even though I love that show Archer. And to add to Boondocks, I wanna say their animators are in Japan or some shyt like that. I remember watching a behind the scenes type show and they said after they do their storyboarding or whatever, they send the show off to actually get animated. Someone who cares enough could probably do a bit more investigating to find out for sure.

bogey_j

Daps
:childplease: Archer is by far and away better than anything you grouped it with, stylistically and otherwise.

i'm not talking about the quality of writing or the characters here. the actual animation in archer is still ass. its being shytted on by amateur stuff made for free on newgrounds

Daps
There really is no American animation industry anymore. All traditional animation is done in Korea. The only shows still animated in America are shows made in Flash. Those shows usually have higher budgets for the writing so the animation suffers, like South Park.

bogey_j

Daps
I mean compare this to modern american cartoons (flash animations)

look at the sheer effort put into this :ohlawd:

AquaCityBoy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
How many cartoons do you actually watch?

You're looking at shows that have are not meant to have superb animation (even ones where their crudeness is part of their charm) and acting like all cartoons are like that. It's like when people blindly say, "TV sucks now." Do actually actually watch TV at all?

If you want excellent animation quality, check out shows like Thundercats, Ultimate Spider-Man, The Legend of Korra, or Young Justice.

Mandarin Duck

Majestic and Highfalutin
Daps
Reppin
Ponds

I love that shyt :yeshrug:
I swear I've been high so many times and seen a character on Squidbillies or aqua teen that made me laugh so much just because of how shytty they were drawn.
You would fukking hate 12 0z mouse breh :russ:

Majestyx

Duck Season
Daps
Reppin
Los Scandalous
#1 venture bros > archer
#2 venture bros is animated by hand
#3 americans are lazy, greedy b*stards and dont wanna pay people to do shyt, this includes the animation industry.

but archer is the only flash animated jawn i watch, al them other shyts look like too much ass for me to look at for whole episodes

Brofato

Fade Doe
Daps
Archer is gorgeous, breh.

Like @Responsible Allen Iverson said, the actual animation is done in Korea, India and other places but mostly Korea by a handful of studios with thousands of artists.

They only get storyboarded here in America and then shipped over. With the use of the internet, I assume animation quality will improve because the artists can keep in contact.

It's done that way simply for cost reasons. It costs a hell of a lot more for big studios here to animate their shows, as opposed to outsourcing them. With that said though, while price used to be a major factor in how studios were chosen, it's mostly about quality being the selling point now.

Anyway, for fun, here's the Do's and Don'ts of the King of the Hill animation team.

King of the Hill animation help

Crakface

Daps
Reppin
L.A
Americans are lazy and think about cost. Asians are able to get more for less because they have better work ethic than Americans.

Majestyx

Duck Season
Daps
Reppin
Los Scandalous
Archer is gorgeous, breh.

Like @Responsible Allen Iverson said, the actual animation is done in Korea, India and other places but mostly Korea by a handful of studios with thousands of artists.

They only get storyboarded here in America and then shipped over. With the use of the internet, I assume animation quality will improve because the artists can keep in contact.

It's done that way simply for cost reasons. It costs a hell of a lot more for big studios here to animate their shows, as opposed to outsourcing them. With that said though, while price used to be a major factor in how studios were chosen, it's mostly about quality being the selling point now.

Anyway, for fun, here's the Do's and Don'ts of the King of the Hill animation team.

King of the Hill animation help
you right. it goes well usually, but the 'reans fukked up parts of black dynamite. sometimes when it works well, the american studio will gave some in korea from here to help when shyt gets lost in translation.

Bud Bundy

A Bundy never cares
Daps

What do you mean by american because Boondocks sends there story boards to Korea.