Would a Black Panther video game sell well?

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
The thing about games, that movies don't have, is if it's good, people will play it. Nobody is gonna play a trash game over a great one just because the people are a different color from what they like. white people have spent their entire lives playing games with japanese characters, but rarely see japanese movies.
So if a black panther game is made well, it will sell. period.

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang
I was watching the movie again last night and thought about a video game version and how it will be received if it was made.

I’m talking about a proper Black Panther game like Spider-Man on the PS4 or the Arkham games and not some cheap movie tie in game.
Considering how well the movie did, would a well made video game version do well as well?

Just imagine an open world Wakanda with a great story line, characters etc.:wow:

I seriously think it’ll do very well apart from the fact that it’s a popular character but it’ll be very different from anything we’ve ever seen in video games.
Too many black people, the man would sabotage it and ruin the chance at another black super hero game for decades. Def jam says hola...

klientel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The only marvel character that works in solo games is spidey because of the swing mechanic...

Every other character is ass. Theres a reason the only comic characters that succeed are Spiderman and Batman. If there was a way to make those characters work in video games, the market would be flooded with them already. They tried to do that shyt back in the day with Ironman, Cap, and Thor....and it was awful.

Last edited:

KravenMorehead™

Barrel Brothers.®
Daps
Reppin
NoVA
Comic book characters with weak rogues galleries don't sell video games.

That's why you can make a Batman or Spider-Man game and keep it interesting enough to deem a good purchase. Thus they're the top 2 comic book characters in video games. (Minus TMNT.)

You can't do that with Black Panther unless you pull an arrowverse and start sharking rogues from other nikkas.

But then it becomes a question of where are the heroes for them nikkas at? and if you put them in the game, then they made the game pop.

MajesticLion

Veteran
Daps
You're sorely mistaken if you think Disney begins to even give any inkling of a f*ck about gaming.

And yes, this is a few years old and needs updating.

FreddyCalhoun

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Houston, TX
I was watching the movie again last night and thought about a video game version and how it will be received if it was made.

I’m talking about a proper Black Panther game like Spider-Man on the PS4 or the Arkham games and not some cheap movie tie in game.
Considering how well the movie did, would a well made video game version do well as well?

Just imagine an open world Wakanda with a great story line, characters etc.:wow:

I seriously think it’ll do very well apart from the fact that it’s a popular character but it’ll be very different from anything we’ve ever seen in video games.

I thought Mafia 3 wouldn't sell...I was clearly wrong.

Womb Raider

movin' thru the city streets
Daps
Reppin
Fo Nem
Comic book characters with weak rogues galleries don't sell video games.

That's why you can make a Batman or Spider-Man game and keep it interesting enough to deem a good purchase. Thus they're the top 2 comic book characters in video games. (Minus TMNT.)

You can't do that with Black Panther unless you pull an arrowverse and start sharking rogues from other nikkas.

But then it becomes a question of where are the heroes for them nikkas at? and if you put them in the game, then they made the game pop.
This is a great point. Batman and Spider-Man have the GOAT rogue galleries. I’m not sure who else even come close.

Ezekiel 25:17

Veteran
Daps
Last edited:

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
Yup, all depends on who makes it.

I bet money Insomniac Games would do a better job. Spiderman was damn good, Bayonetta looks like dumpster juice in comparison.

Action in metal gear rising better than Spiderman

Kairi Irving

Here Comes A New Challenger
Daps
The only marvel character that works in solo games is spidey because of the swing mechanic...

Every other character is ass. Theres a reason the only comic characters that succeed are Spiderman and Batman. If there was a way to make those characters work in video games, the market would be flooded with them already. They tried to do that shyt back in the day with Ironman, Cap, and Thor....and it was awful.

Static Shock would blow every other superhero game out of the water

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Of course it would sell well.

Rogue galleries don't mean anything if the game play is trash. Nobody cares if "Electro" is in the damn game if the spidey mechanics is shyt. Most kids don't give a shyt about Electro, Rhyno nor know who Mr. Negative is. They just want to wreck shyt as Spider-Man.

Similarly, you make a Black Panther game (not a cheap movie adaptation game) with great gameplay mechanics and a bunch of no name villains (like Killmonger was) with interesting and dark back stories... that shyt would do numbers and ppl would be juelzin the same way they juelzed after they said for years a black superhero movie would never sell.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Why haven't they yet?

Because great no-brainer ideas about negroes need unheralded levels of justification to get green lit. He's the most searched superhero in America, the most purchased superhero costume for Halloween by Americans, highest grossing solo superhero ever... but it'd be too "risky" to make a video game about him because a super negro is still a negro :manny:

aka 95% of the game industry are pastey white guys and they ain't gonna make no damn black panther game or glorify no damn BP mytho unless they forced to. The movie and the cartoon were developed by black folk, and only after a white guy (Fiegie/Iger) forced all the other white jews to go along with it.

Something similar would need to happen (black owned or majority black working studio with white champion) for a negro game to get actioned. Otherwise they'll just keep him as mandated DLC bc they can't deny his popularity. America

Last edited:

Killer Instinct

To live in hearts we leave behind is to never die.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO
I think with today's tech and with the right company behind it, a Punisher game could be done expertly. They've never gotten it right but it could be dope and his MO would translate seamlessly to video gaming. The problem we run into with superhero videogames is that they have historically been mediocre to awful outside of a couple of names, chiefly Spiderman and Batman. It's going to be hard to shake off the stench of mediocrity. The upcoming Avengers games initial reveal didn't help.