Will you be sad when gamestop goes out of business?

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Honestly, I was really counting on them for this next gen release. I really wanted a seamless trade in transition between my pro and a digital ps5. I know it’s mostly sony and by extension the pandemics fault for low shipments but they are barely providing any real kind of service.

Most gamestop aren’t getting more than a dozen consoles between now and release. My local gamestop got 7 Xbox’s.

They literally serve no purpose anymore as other retailers at least have websites that don’t completely shut down on release. :yeshrug:

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
full

Good riddance.

Hostile

All Star
Daps
No. Can never seem to get a game still in the plastic wrap from there anymore.

I remember when a breh working there told me there was no such thing as a standard version of Yakuza Kiwami 2 :stopitslime:

I still think back on when a cashier went full :ohhh: on me after I asked for NieR:Automata tho.

Anerdyblackguy

Gotta learn how to kill a nikka from the inside
Supporter
Daps
Nope. Last time I was at GameStop it was to purchase GTA 5 on opening day. Haven’t been there since

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Eh, they had a good run. Once they started fleecing it became my intention to only fukk with them when i came up heavy. Like on those double or triple credit for trade in promotions. Otherwise it's been fukk them for over a decade.

Last time i wa there it took me like 20 minutes to check out a game because of the sales associates trying to up sell people on like 5 different things.

“Are you a rewards card member?”
“Can we have your name and address?”
“Can we offer you our special warranty?”
“You know you can save 2 dollars if you sign up for our rewards program?”
“Are there any games coming out you’d like to reserve?”

kdslittlebro

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I haven’t had enough thought about Gamestop in years to care one way or the other. They were a staple of my childhood tho, but so was Blockbuster :yeshrug:

Pimp

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
this is why i don't see the reason to buy the disc version of the console. Gamestop will die this generation due to digital sales. Sony getting 30% of every sale and people think they won't have sales.. I guess you can still sell your games on ebay but if 50% of the people have the digital version, the less people you have to sell your used games to.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
this is why i don't see the reason to buy the disc version of the console. Gamestop will die this generation due to digital sales. Sony getting 30% of every sale and people think they won't have sales.. I guess you can still sell your games on ebay but if 50% of the people have the digital version, the less people you have to sell your used games to.

With or without the digital consoles gamestop was still on it’s way out anyway. They made too many bad business decisions and the rise of e-commerce sites like amazon would have put them out of business anyway. There’s no way for them to properly scale anymore outside of just turning into a hobbyist shop

The rise of digital gaming and the pandemic are helping to ease it into it’s demise a little sooner

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'll feel bad about a lot of people losing their jobs, sure.

But fukk Gamestop as a company.

Last time i wa there it took me like 20 minutes to check out a game because of the sales associates trying to up sell people on like 5 different things.

“Are you a rewards card member?”
“Can we have your name and address?”
“Can we offer you our special warranty?”
“You know you can save 2 dollars if you sign up for our rewards program?”
“Are there any games coming out you’d like to reserve?”

shyt like that was why. The last thing I purchased from them was Arkham Knight, solely because they had bonus DLC for pre-ordering from them (which, for me, meant just placing an order on their site the night before release. Pre-orders for games are mostly bullshyt.), and even with that, it took me a solid 20 minutes to check out, with them asking the same questions as above. AND that shyt still didn't come shrink wrapped. :hhh:

Worse, they're predatory as fukk since their transition into being a small step up from a pawn shop. Nearly every last one of my last trips in therez there was someone trading in a fukk ton of shyt to buy games and consoles they couldn't afford, and being advised to try to open up a Gamestop credit card to cover whatever their meager trade-in value wouldn't cover. shyt was gross. :hhh: