Will Smith from The Saints\ OSU Buckeyes killed in New Orleans tonight (UPDATE: Man found GUILTY)

Hi!

Bushes Hall Of Famer
Daps
Reppin
Bloomington
Reserve officer who dined with Will Smith 'removed' from force: NOPD

The retired New Orleans police captain who dined with Will Smith the night the ex-Saints player was shot to death has been "removed" by the department from his reserve duty status "to protect the integrity of the investigation," NOPD spokesman Tyler Gamble said.

Billy Ceravolo was among a group of people who dined with Smith at Sake Cafe on Magazine Street prior to the fatal shooting of Will Smith and wounding of his wife Racquel. Ceravolo, who said after the shooting he was a friend of Will Smith's, was present at the crime scene as police investigated.

Gamble said Ceravolo was removed from service with the reserve division pending the investigation into Will Smith's death. Ceravolo on Monday referred any questions about his removal from the reserve list to NOPD. He said he could not make any personal statements regarding his removal because it would "be a violation of rules and regulations."

Will Smith was shot seven times in the back and once in the chest, and Racquel Smith was shot once in each leg, following a traffic crash around 11:30 p.m. April 9 at Sophie Wright Place and Felicity Street in the Lower Garden District. The shooting happened after Cardell Hayes' orange Hummer H2 struck Will Smith's silver Mercedes-Benz SUV.

Hayes was charged with second-degree murder in the shooting. John Fuller, the attorney representing Hayes, has suggested someone tampered with the crime scene. Fuller did not provide specifics and did not expressly point his finger at Ceravolo. However, Fuller asked in a letter that was entered into the court record April 15 that the department be removed from the investigation. State Police declined to take over the probe.

The letter, a version of which was given to NOPD Superintendent Michael Harrison, New Orleans Mayor Mitch Landrieu and Louisiana State Police Superintendent Col. Mike Edmonson, said the defense has "a grave lack of faith in the honesty and competency" of the NOPD's investigation. The letter cited what Fuller called "factual misstatements from high-ranking" NOPD officials. It did not detail those alleged misstatements.

Fuller has not specifically addressed what he sees as tampering. He said he thought it "odd" the department took three days to search the vehicles of Smith and Hayes. The search revealed a gun in Smith's Mercedes and an additional gun -- other than the one police say Hayes fired -- in Hayes' Hummer.

Gamble has said police sought a warrant rather than searching the cars the night of the shooting because officers' priority was securing the scene, identify and detain suspects and question witnesses and help the injured. Legal experts have said it might not have been technically necessary to obtain a warrant, but it was a prudent move given the high profile of the case.

Reserve officers perform police duties on a volunteer basis but have the same authority as a full-time officer. Gamble said reserve officers must volunteer a minimum of 24 hours a month. To become eligible to work paid off-duty details, reserves must volunteer at least 36 hours a month.

The chief removed Ceravolo from the reserve list, Gamble said, "out of an abundance of caution" in response to questions that have been raised about his involvement in the investigation.

Daps
Reppin
Eastside of that Motor

:patrice: Yeah, doubt this happened in the 2 seconds it took for him to drive off

have they talked about what happened prior to the first filmed fender bender? The Hummer stops in the middle of the street. Not at a light or anything, just kind of there. Smith looks like he's tailgating Hayes already. Perhaps something was going on prior to that has been mentioned? That just looks suspicious as hell to me. It seemed like when that footage hit the skreets, everyone was like, well, Smith hit him first. But that was a strange stop by Hayes. Something is being ignored..............................or they already addressed that and I'm just not following closely. Thoughts?

I got a feeling pressure is going to be on wifey. Something HAD to have happen prior. Either months before or moments before. If the wife saw something that could damage Will's case does she tell or lie in the court :patrice:

Hi!

Bushes Hall Of Famer
Daps
Reppin
Bloomington
I got a feeling pressure is going to be on wifey. Something HAD to have happen prior. Either months before or moments before. If the wife saw something that could damage Will's case does she tell or lie in the court :patrice:
Still no charges against Cardell Hayes in the shooting of Racquel Smith. Spooky :patrice:

Hi!

Bushes Hall Of Famer
Daps
Reppin
Bloomington
They got plenty of time, this is a high profile case, they won't rush anything
In the case of Racquel Smith what is there to rush breh? :what: You have an alive victim, multiple witnesses who were traveling with the victim, and a suspect who has already charged in the murder of her husband. Correct me if i'm wrong, but he was charged in Will's case a day after the shooting, no? :patrice:

FaTaL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
In the case of Racquel Smith what is there to rush breh? :what: You have an alive victim, multiple witnesses who were traveling with the victim, and a suspect who has already charged in the murder of her husband. Correct me if i'm wrong, but he was charged in Will's case a day after the shooting, no? :patrice:
He was charged immediately to get him locked up

I'm sure he hasn't made bail and probably won't because they'll drop new charges on him if he tries

mr. smoke weed

Smoke Album Done......Wait n See #SmokeSquad
Resting in Peace
Daps
Reppin
Chi
He was charged immediately to get him locked up

I'm sure he hasn't made bail and probably won't because they'll drop new charges on him if he tries
Nah it's a million dollar bail. I'm sure he doesn't have 100k

Hi!

Bushes Hall Of Famer
Daps
Reppin
Bloomington
:lupe:
Retired NOPD captain Ceravolo hires defense attorney for Will Smith case
Billy Ceravolo, the retired New Orleans police officer who dined with Will Smith on the night the former Saints defensive end was killed, has hired a criminal defense attorney for guidance in the case.

Tanya Picou Faia enrolled Friday (April 22) as Ceravolo's defense attorney, court records show. The Metairie-based former prosecutor said, "I'm expecting no criminal allegations against my client."

Cardell Hayes, 28, has been booked with second-degree murder in connection with Smith's fatal shooting on April 9 on Sophie Wright Place. The shooting followed two minor traffic accidents involving Hayes' and Smith's vehicles. Smith's wife Racquel also sustained two gunshot wounds to her legs in the incident, but the NOPD still has not booked anyone in connection with her shooting.