Will Nintendo ever get a decent online service?

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
People are talking about cloud gaming, how to seamlessly download games you already ordered a physical copy of, cross gen upgrades, playing VR with friends...and Nintendo is still pushing friend codes on us.

• no way to easily jump in matches with friends or send them invites
  • no in game chat or mic set up at all (we still using discord on our phones)
  • no way to share games/saves between consoles
  • no media apps at all
I know y'all bout to come in here and tell me Nintendo doesn't need those things but they kind of do. They ain't gonna get 3rd party game support if GAAS becomes more popular. And Nintendo doesn't put out enough hit 1st party games per year to stay poppin.

I think they are gonna lose momentum again when sony and microsoft release their next gen. I love Nintendo but they make some very odd choices. I don't see why they can't get something similar to ps3's online service, especially since they're actually charging people for it.

Rice N Beans

Junior Hayley Stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, IL
Truth be told they outta have the fukking DisneyWorld of online services, but they are too conservative about it. :francis:

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
By the time these big name exclusives start dropping for Xbox and PS, Nintendo will be launching their new Switch editions.

They're on a different schedule and they know their market. If their market had demanded better online options, then it'd have been a priority. The best choice Nintendo ever made was to stop trying to keep up with the high performance arms race and just focus on immediate accessibility.

thaKEAF

#grizzlies #titans
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Memphis
When playing my Switch yesterday I wondered what was the point in even having a friends list? You can’t message them, voice chat or even invite them to a game. :snoop: pretty much you can just see how many hours they’ve played of certain games that’s it.

If they are so worried about stuff happening to kids, just add a super detailed parental control hub. I’m not expecting them to have an online on the level of the other two companies, but this shyt is terrible and drops games a lot also.

I think they’ll continue to have success though and I’m glad. Regardless of some of their backwards business practices they are a great company that will always get my money. God willing I’ll be 70 years old still playing the new smash or Mario kart.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
By the time these big name exclusives start dropping for Xbox and PS, Nintendo will be launching their new Switch editions.

They're on a different schedule and they know their market. If their market had demanded better online options, then it'd have been a priority. The best choice Nintendo ever made was to stop trying to keep up with the high performance arms race and just focus on immediate accessibility.

I see the switch going at least 4 more years. Maybe 6. It's gonna have the legs of the DS.

Champion

#RxLife #UCF #FAMU
Daps
Reppin
Chi-Town to Tampa
They push local multiplayer above everything else and there following seems to be fine with that. Not sure why but it is what it is.

Lol @ Nintendo losing momentum over being behind with online. You might want to check out the software sales of Mario Kart, Smash, Splatoon, and Pokemon. Their competition wishes they could have those sales.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
They push local multiplayer above everything else and there following seems to be fine with that. Not sure why but it is what it is.

Lol @ Nintendo losing momentum over being behind with online. You might want to check out the software sales of Mario Kart, Smash, Splatoon, and Pokemon. Their competition wishes they could have those sales.

and yet they rereleased crystal chronicles with no local multiplayer.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
I see the switch going at least 4 more years. Maybe 6. It's gonna have the legs of the DS.
You realize the 3DS went from 2011-2020 right?

Sony released better hardware before they did with the Vita and the Switch bodied that shyt. Neither MS or Sony is ever going to move on the portable market again - and even if they did, they'd have no third party support or exclusives that would ever come close to touching the guaranteed sellers that Nintendo always has in the bag. Google tried to encroach with Stadia (dead now) and Amazon is trying to give it a shot too while also holding the advantages of a large gaming arm and streaming platforms.... but even that doesn't matter because Nintendo has been doing numbers on mobile platforms too.

Nintendo is set and they get to watch MS and Sony just fight it out.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
you talking bout the original ds line or the whole DS family? if the latter remember the whole entire ds family line lasted from 2004-2020

I think the switch and its upcoming iterations will be similar to the DS. So, I’m counting the 3ds, and 2ds and everything inbetween.

I don’t think we will see a major generation change from nintendo for years. They have no reason to put out something just for better graphics.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
When playing my Switch yesterday I wondered what was the point in even having a friends list? You can’t message them, voice chat or even invite them to a game. :snoop: pretty much you can just see how many hours they’ve played of certain games that’s it.

If they are so worried about stuff happening to kids, just add a super detailed parental control hub. I’m not expecting them to have an online on the level of the other two companies, but this shyt is terrible and drops games a lot also.

I think they’ll continue to have success though and I’m glad. Regardless of some of their backwards business practices they are a great company that will always get my money. God willing I’ll be 70 years old still playing the new smash or Mario kart.
My son and his friends get together on discord to chat while playing