Why were teachers in school so bent on "no talking"?

jadillac

Veteran
Daps
Seriously. :why:

I remember some teachers I had, mainly in elementary and early middle school, they'd call your parents or even give you detention for talking too much. Not during a test, not during a quiz, but just anytime.

But like if someone asked you to borrow a piece of paper, and you responded back to them.

Teacher: "No talking!" :birdman:

Me: "But he asked me to borrow a piece of paper and all I said was, "Yeah, okay" :wtf:

As I type this, I remember one teacher in 6th grade she would always say, "(name), you're mumbling again.... :ufdup: If I have to tell you again it's a 20-min detention."

Existential

Nothing really matters...
Daps
An even funnier thing was how they'd pull this same shyt every year:

7th grade: "Ugh, you guys are acting like a bunch of 6th graders. You should be acting like 7th graders!"
8th grade: "Ugh, you guys are acting like a bunch of 7th graders. You should be acting like 8th graders!"

Like, what the fukk was the point of even trying to impress them? It was all good just a grade ago, right? Every. Single. Year.

K-12 was a trip. But we should be grateful, it's even worse these days. shyt that would've gotten you scolded back in the day could get you expelled these days.

jadillac

Veteran
Daps
An even funnier thing was how they'd pull this same shyt every year:

7th grade: "Ugh, you guys are acting like a bunch of 6th graders. You should be acting like 7th graders!"
8th grade: "Ugh, you guys are acting like a bunch of 7th graders. You should be acting like 8th graders!"

Like, what the fukk was the point of even trying to impress them? It was all good just a grade ago, right? Every. Single. Year.

K-12 was a trip. But we should be grateful, it's even worse these days. shyt that would've gotten you scolded back in the day could get you expelled these days

You think so? I would imagine kids text, tweet and everything else these days.

But you might be right tho. Teachers these days might have a zero-tolerance policy b/c many of them these days are just there for a check.

Daps
Reppin
Twin Cities
so not to disrupt the class or the instruction.

also, to try to help the students focus when they are in the classroom (because they can often get sidetracked - even with small chatter the focus can be broken).

it builds a good habit of being serious (to learn), when it is time to learn - part of learning to stay disciplined.

:yeshrug:

JerkPork

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL
I don't know but I remember back in the 8th grade we had a teacher that went extra hard. He took over for another teacher like midway through the semester. He was white teaching at a majority black school and I believe he was suppose to be a pastor.

*Classrooms quiet except for the occasional whispering

Teacher yelling at the top of his lungs: :fire: SHUT UP, NOW!!!!

Class: :huh:.....:laugh:

Teacher: :ohmy:...:angry: I SAID SHUT UP NOW!!!...DAG NABIT

lol

What's funny was most cases it would be the class next door to ours making the noise.

Even during next period when I was in the class next door and we would hear him yell through the walls, the whole class including the teacher would be :laff:

K-Deini

GOAT
Supporter
Daps
i never had a teacher like that, for the most part they were laid back, just as long as you were quiet during tests and when they were going over some material, they didnt care. but every time i walked into school on my way to my locker there was always this one stuck up bytch who would tell me to take my hat off. gave her the same response every morning.

"i'll take it off when i get to my locker."

"no. now!"

"nope."

"i'll write you up for it."

":manny:"

":mad:"

every two weeks i would see the vice principal, but he was my football coach before he became one so we both would talk shyt on her in his office. :lolbron:

never understood why people got so bent out of shape by stupid shyt. i look back and wonder why i ever gave a shyt with their idle threats. if my personality now was how i was 5 years ago, i'd of trolled the shyt out of those teachers who lost their cool quick on some :umad:

Rocket Scientist

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
High IQ
Remember "Progress Reports"? Teachers use to go ham on these things :laugh:,they were like reports cards but more detail about the student. Back in the day they sent it in tight envelopes had you feeling like :lupe: by time you got home.

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps
so not to disrupt the class or the instruction.

also, to try to help the students focus when they are in the classroom (because they can often get sidetracked - even with small chatter the focus can be broken).

it builds a good habit of being serious (to learn), when it is time to learn - part of learning to stay disciplined.

:yeshrug:

This

invincible1914

G.O.M.A.B.
Daps
Reppin
LSU, Saints, Alcorn, VCU
You think so? I would imagine kids text, tweet and everything else these days.

But you might be right tho. Teachers these days might have a zero-tolerance policy b/c many of them these days are just there for a check.

Man, you just have to work as a teacher for awhile then you'll understand.... policies like no talking, stay seated, and keeping your hands to yourself are preventative measures like fights dudes, feeling up girls, etc. But mostly it's about being rigid on establishing a less stressful environment. When we are observed it's mainly on how we maintan the class and not so much on content (:sad: I know). It is what it is.

Canada Goose

Pooping on your head :umad:
Daps
Reppin
New York City
Yeah, this thread reminds of when I went to grade school...

Anyway, before we went to the lunchroom, we would go in the gym and watch movies, and we couldn't talk :what:

I remember one instance, I was speaking to this kid in a soft voice damn near whispering (No homo) anyways, the teacher saw me and was giving me the :leostare:

Anyways I said something to the kid and this teacher said "get out :birdman:" and I got kicked out :wtb:

Thread also reminds me of substitute teachers and how the class would go HAM when a sub teacher was there.

Also wonder if the sub teacher really snitches on the kids who misbehave to the regular teacher the next day :ohhh:

El Bombi

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I had a college professor in my freshmen year, that tried to pull this shytt. :shaq2:

The whole class checked her real quick. How you going to tell a class full of adults to stop talking. :comeon:

doublenegative

I Heard A Dope Beat
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
The Song Maker and the SK 5
It is about developing self discipline and protecting the learning environment.

However it should be balanced with activities that give students the opportunity to interact in a professional and fun way.

Emperor Sol

Knowledge and Wisdom
Daps
Reppin
CAN
Have you ever tried to talk when you knew nobody was listening?

Why should the teacher have to battle for your attention if you're going there to learn? :beli:

In college the nikkas that don't shut the fukk up are the ones that everyone hates. We're here to learn, not listen to you talk about the most inane bullshyt you can think of :rudy:

TooLazyToMakeUp1

LWO suicide bomber
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Out here in my damn drawls
The no talking never f*cked, I hated when people wouldn't shut the hell up. With me, I hated teachers and their ridiculous demands for their class.

-You gotta have wide-ruled paper :birdman:

-You can't write in pen :birdman:

-Boys sit on one side, girls on the other :birdman:

-You can only have a blue notebook :birdman:

-You better take notes (the damn notes are word for word from the book) :birdman:

-You bringing water bottles in here lil n!gga?!? Throw it away :ufdup:

-Oh, your cell-phone fell out of your pocket? Take it to the principles office...and you bet not take out the sim card :birdman:

Stood tall and took my k -12 bid and bout to be fresh outta college soon :jawalrus:

JerkPork

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL
How about walking in to class and the teacher got the :usure: face.

I hated it when the whole class had to suffer because of one student. So we'd end writing "I will not talk during class" 100 times or some bullshyt like that.

You spend the whole class doing that bullshyt and leave with your hand cramping....and that was only the first period?? :why:

It's almost like the teachers promoted bullying, it had nikkas lookin at that dude like :ufdup: afterschool.